Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Shifting the Powerglide

Bubblehead

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Hello all. First off, this is just an intial post to assist in getting my thoughts together and I appoligize for running a bit long. I have only had my car for a week today, but I have one thing that is bothering me I need to fix. The engine runs great and the Powerglide (PG) shifts well, but I am not happy with the shifter and/or linkage for the tranny. The shifter is in reverse order (at least from what I assume is the "norm") where Park is down closest to the seat and Low it all the way forward. That is not a big deal to me, but when you have it in Park the shifter actually rest against the seat and is almost under my leg making it hard to get to/operate. It has a very short handle (6-8 inches) and because of that the throw from Park to Low is very short. It is sometimes hard to "feel" when you are in Low or Drive (other than the little lurch you get from the car) and if you aren't all the way in Drive it will pop itself out of Drive and into Neutral while you are attempting to move forward. I know that it is not a good thing to not be fully in gear with any transmission and it can cause tranny problems over time. I have started looking at some new shifter (Lokar seems to be the "standard") but not sure what to do about linkage and how much room I have underneath to make things work. I will get the car up and take some pictures in the near future, but wanted to get any initial advice from anyone that might have some first. Thanks, Glenn

I've seen several cases,back in the day power glides were a lot more popular, that had the same reverse shift problems. They do shift backward from the th350-400, and people just use the same shifter which makes them backwards. Switching to a lokar made for the powerglide would probably be the easier fix. ESPECIALLY if your shifter doesn't have a reverse lockout feature. The lokar has the lockout with a cool little button on the shift knob to mash before you shift. Which also locks it in park. The quality of the stuff they make is top shelf, but pricy. Well worth the investment for a quality shifter. No place to scrimp in my opinion. :thumbsup:

Well, it could have a reverse pattern valvebody OR the guy attached the cable at the trans to make it that way. The Powerglide shift pattern is diff.
If you jack the car up, slide under it, and look at the cable that operated the trans lever. If the lever attachment is towards the front of the car, cable that attaches to the trans shifter are IS BEHIND that attaching bracket, (where the cable is bolted to hold it in place)....then you probably have a reverse valve body.
If the cable comes from the rear end of the car and attaches to the bellcrank on the trans shifter arm, the shifter cable is reversed. You'll probably see that the cable it attached to the arm, instead of the arm being down, it will be up above were its suppossed to be making it hard to disconnect.

As for the shifter popping out of gear, does it feel stiff while shifting? If its hitting your leg or you can't go thru the whole range of gears without interference, you need to move it, remount it, or tilt it so it doesn't hit anything. WHAT BRAND OF SHIFTER IS IT? And what model....ie, B&M Z-Gate, B&M QuickSilver, etc....?
If it doesn't shift into gear then lock in solidly (you should be able to feel this), cable is probably outta adjustment. Which means, you need to shile the shifter into park, go under to the trans cable, loosen it , make sure the trans shifter lever is all the way into park, and the reattach and tighten things up.

Take the shifters cover off after you remove its knob or T-Handle, and spray some WD-40 or some light compressor oil into the cable opening....it should run down into the cable unless its running somekinda crazy way. Work the shifter back and forth, put in some more lube, work it in some more. I actually like to put a little extra fine graphite powder into the cable with a medicine dropper, then add a little oil or lube, work it in good....makes your cable last a really long time! Plus, cuts down on friction...

Reason I use the extra fine graphite with the oil is the oil will embed into the woven steel cable jacketing, and as the oil dries up, the graphite will hold into those grooves... and keep lubricating a long time...it forms a graphic/oil paste that works good....I use that trick on the the Altered Pilots accl. pedal cables, they love -0- friction on things....they like to have the feel....

Thanks Screaming Metal. I definitely have some additional details to gather, but one thing I do know so far is that it is a mechanical linkage "arm" and not a cable. I also do not know the brand just yet, but it does not appear to be one of the "biggies" (might even be a homemade one). It does shift well (seems solid), but is also very much in a bad spot as far as being basically under my right leg. while driving. Needs to be moved.

Thanks Dale. Yep, really like the reverse lockout and hopefully a park lockout as well on the Lokar. Just hoping I have room to install what ever brand of shifter I do decide on. The way it is right now you can easily (very easily) knock the shifter into neutral or some other gear with your foot while you are getting in the car if you're not really careful (no doors so you have to step in). That could be a really bad thing if you were parked on a bit of an incline somewhere or you were getting back in the car while it is running. I know I will have carpet "issues" when I shift to a new one, but that is minor compared to getting this right.

Here is a short video of the car I did yesterday because my dad asked to here it running. About halfway through the video you can see where the shifter is currently sitting (hopefully you can legally paste videos here).

Thanks Jim, that was my first You-Tube video ever and it is apparent I need some practice. ;-)

-Glenn

Thanks Mike, that means I don't have a reverse patern Glide because mine is P-R-N-D-L. Which is somewhat good news, but still need to fix my problem. One thing I am noticing...lots of different shifters out there to choose from and lots of varying opinions on them all. I just want one that works and will fit where I need it to fit.

One nice thing about Lokar, you can get supershort shift levers....get whatever fits your style and situation. Alot of out members have their shifters placed all over the map! One member had his placed below his seat sticking out horizontal. Another has his on his dash. Just make sure your comfortable with it. As 409 said, you can place them anywhere.

Thats like my reply about how the cables was attached....I've been dealing with Race Cars and Hot Rods everyday of my life since the 70's, and I'm here to tell ya, I've pretty well seen it all as far as folks screwing a car up....and some of it besides being downright hilarious, its been pretty damn scary and very dangerous sometimes.

Hell, Potvin Guy I think has a electronic pushbutton shifter. The old Chryslers back in the early 60 and/or late 50's had a pushbutton dash shifter standard on their big cars....The one I saw had a 392 Hemi in it....it was totally cool.
Word of caution....One of out members got ran over by his own car....so, whatever shifter you get, make sure it has a reverse lockout and wire up a neutral safety switch....hate to see our new members get hurt....

One nice thing about Lokar, you can get supershort shift levers....get whatever fits your style and situation. Alot of out members have their shifters placed all over the map! One member had his placed below his seat sticking out horizontal. Another has his on his dash. Just make sure your comfortable with it. As 409 said, you can place them anywhere.

Thats like my reply about how the cables was attached....I've been dealing with Race Cars and Hot Rods everyday of my life since the 70's, and I'm here to tell ya, I've pretty well seen it all as far as folks screwing a car up....and some of it besides being downright hilarious, its been pretty damn scary and very dangerous sometimes.

Hell, Potvin Guy I think has a electronic pushbutton shifter. The old Chryslers back in the early 60 and/or late 50's had a pushbutton dash shifter standard on their big cars....The one I saw had a 392 Hemi in it....it was totally cool.
Word of caution....One of out members got ran over by his own car....so, whatever shifter you get, make sure it has a reverse lockout and wire up a neutral safety switch....hate to see our new members get hurt....

Very well said!

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back