Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Signature not showing up

Mr T Bucket

Figured it out. Thanks. I guess it only shows up in new posts.

URL]

Mr T Bucket said:
Figured it out. Thanks. I guess it only shows up in new posts.
Correct.

Now that you have a signature file established, if you change it to something new, that change will be reflected on all your posts that contain a signature.

However a signature will not show on any posts you submitted prior to establishing a signature file.

If I'm wanting to include a picture in my post, isn't the
code what I need to use? It didn't work in the above post.

Mr T Bucket said:
If I'm wanting to include a picture in my post, isn't the
code what I need to use? It didn't work in the above post.
Correct, you need to use IMG tags. However, some sites do not allow external hot-linking of images and this appears to be one.

I always recommend Photobucket for storage of images. Free accounts and they will even provide you with the proper IMG code for each image you want to display here.

Mike said:
Correct, you need to use IMG tags. However, some sites do not allow external hot-linking of images and this appears to be one.

I always recommend Photobucket for storage of images. Free accounts and they will even provide you with the proper IMG code for each image you want to display here.

Why would it work with Photobucket, and not tinypic?

I guess I need to study up on adding pictures to posts for this board. I thought the image code that was in the help/faq section would have worked. Hmmmm.

Chris, I think the img codes work in the body of the text, but not in the signature. Here's a test...

Lastdayrearqtr.jpg

I guess I should have started another thread because I've got everyone looking under the couch instead of behind the television. When I've been talking about images in posts, I mean, images in posts, not in my signature, LOL.

How do I add an image to a post?
To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing
after it
, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

Mr T Bucket said:
How do I add an image to a post?
To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing
after it
, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

I think you've given me a clue... The
tag is only used in this box as you are typing... if you use the insert image icon, then it is simply the http://locationOfImageFile (this looks like a link but is not).

That help ya out?

Mr. T, you first need the URL of the image you are going to post. Then you have two options -

1. You can look in the upper part of the text entry window and click this image -
insertimage.gif
- and paste the image URL into the dialog box that opens. The WYSIWYG editor will insert the code for you, automagically.

2. You can simply type the IMG tags yourself. It's difficult to show you how these tags work, because typing them out makes them work. (How confusing is that?!?)

You can type a left bracket - [ - then type - url - then a right bracket - ] - the URL of the image - a left bracket - [ - then type -/url - then a right bracket - ]

All the above needs to be typed without spaces. Here's an example -

PHP:
[img]http://www.youraddress.com/image file name.jpg[/img]
Let me try to explain what is happening there and that might help you understand.

When you type that opening IMG tag, you are telling the forum software to get itself ready to display an image. You are saying, here comes a Web address, but I want you to display it as an image.

You insert the complete image address, with the leading http:// and all the way through the image file type (.jpg , .gif , etc.), so the forum software knows where to go locate the image.

You then type the closing IMG tag - /img - to let the forum software know it has reached the end of the image address.

The tags are known as BBCodes. If you insert an i in brackets, type a word and then insert a /i in brackets, that word will be italicized. If you do the same with a b and a /b, that word will be in bold print. Use a u and a /u and it will be underlined.

We try to help everyone out by using a full WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) text editor, but not all forums do that. Sometimes you need to know some basic BBCodes to do these tasks. I'm used to just typing the BBCodes out and not bothering with the aids up above.

OK, to address Al's question - Lee is correct, no piccies in siggies is the order of the day around here. I'm sure we've all visited those forums where someone has something like the following for a sig -

Look at me, I'm insecure and compensating
Plus, I'm don't have a life and l-o-v-e colors
I wish I had one of these -
freezing.jpg

But I'm too busy typing signatures to go find one

And this same person is the fellow that will answer the question, "Can anyone tell me how to atomically energize the energy layer of the frammus filter in a 1969 VW radiator?", by saying, "No."

Admit it, you know the type. You've seen it a gazillion times. All of that takes time to load. And for a fellow stuck on dial-up, images take a long time to load. The guy had zero to add to the thread, but he just H-A-D to display that signature, one more time.

So we have limitations on signature files and one of the limitations is no images allowed.

Also, if you are using Photobucket, you should see a list of possible address combinations below each image. I cannot recall all of the options, but you want to find the option that uses IMG tags.

Simply click on the displayed IMG URL and it will automagically be copied to your clipboard. Come to the forum and type a Ctrl-v (or command-v for Mac users) in the text entry window and everything will be there, just as you want it.

Easy-peasy.

view.php

view.php

t0i72t.jpg

Aha!!! Instead of using the provided img code from tinypic (which I should do), I was using the "url for blah blah blah" (and typing the img code) instead of using the "direct link for layouts" (and typing the img code). My fault.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back