Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Smart phones?

Mike

OK, I'm at the end of a contract on my current cell phone. I'm using a Blackberry 8830 World Edition at present, but I'm considering a replacement.

Anyone using the G-1 or an iPhone? What are your thoughts on either?

Both my wife and my daughter have the I phone and it is so cool. Has a GPS in them that is faster and more accurate than the Garmin we use in the truck. I reccomend the I phones.

Iphones you don't get direct text messaging,it comes as an email and you have to log into a website to get multimedia messaging.

I love my blackberry bold, plus when I'm at the house I'm on wireless, very handy in the garage.

Sprint has one that is a knock off of the I phone that is really cool.

Also if your using att you can try phones for 30 days, I had a phone like yours mike and took it back for a bold...

Those blackberry storms look nice..

This is Valarie, Ron's daughter. I've been a happy iphone user since they came out with the first ones. I have the 3G one now and I love it. Texts that are pics you do have to get through a website and send through email, however there is an update coming out in a few weeks that will enable iphone to send picture texts. I can't imagine life without one, everything is so easy.

as you know Mike there are pros and cons to everything... I havent had much luck with the blackberry storm... reviews on the storm will support that, nuff said on that I think..

I am with Bruser on the Bold, it seems to be a very handy phone and at the current time, it surpasses the IPhone in many instances. On the other hand, the IPhone has the Bold beaten as far as internet speed, rotating screen, apps, usability. The wi-fi option on the bold is easy enough but surfing on it leaves less then imaginable, the IPhone definitely has it beat. There arent near as many apps for the blackberries as there is for IPhone. MPO is that the video qualities are pretty close to each other.

IMHO, it would depend on what your really wanting it for... both are great phones but with the upgrades coming with the IPhone in September, I would personally get the IPhone. If you want it for business use then I say Blackberry Bold, if you want it for more personal use then I say IPhone. I think which ever way you go, you will be happy!!!

I'm very happy with my BlackBerry 8330 and I am glad I didn't hold out for the Storm. My co-worker has one and he's not real happy with it.
I'd love to have a I-Phone, if it wasn't for the sucky AT&T service around here.

I have an iPhone and I love it. The interface is so nice and simple to use. Internet speed is fast. The GPS is very nice. I like being able to pull up the maps, enter in the name of a business in town, and it instantly pops up on the map with the address and phone number. The iPod portion of it is great, I listen to a lot of podcasts and I never would have done that with any other phone. Battery life is pretty good too.

I've been searching around for a possible replacement, but nothing even comes close in my eyes. Apple really did their homework with the iPhone. The Blackberry seems to be best for business users, but for the average guy, the iPhone is best

I will have to recommend the BB 8330, though I fought tooth and nail against getting a BB for work (I am the IT Manager/department) since it becomes a leash you can never take off.

As for the others I am against anything touch screen, it is pretty worthless in the winter when you are wearing gloves or just have cold hands.

As for the BB I can now not live without the damn thing, email, appointments, webbrowsing, gps...etc etc etc.

I-Phone... love it... it can send text as I do it all the time, and is in sync with my work email, so can get and reply to all my email on the road, all my contacts everything works together seamlessly. see a phone number on a website, just hit it and phone will call it... only wish was the ability to cut and paste... new version will do that coming out soon (software upgrade) and I-Pod aspect is great... 1000's of cool apps available... touch keyboards takes time to get used to and hope new software provides a real spell check.

The iPhone looks interesting, but AT&T's plans are as pricey as Verizon's. Rumor has it Verizon is trying to work something out with Apple for an iPhone offering, but it is just that - a rumor. If it happens at all, it may not happen until 2010.

Anyone with T-Mobile? I'm looking pretty closely at the G-1 Android. I am certainly no fan of Uncle Goober, but the phone sure shows a lot of promise. I'm not familiar with T-Mobile, however.

I never use as much as 100 daytime minutes, so a small plan works for me. AT&T's rollover minutes are attractive, but likely unnecessary for me.

I'm reminded of Chris Rock and Joe Pesci talking about cell phones in Lethal Weapon IV. :lol:

T-Mobile has good coverage in cities... when you start going outside of the city limits is when your coverage will start dropping... just a thought, I know their coverage maps say their pretty big but the truth is that they're really not. My friend switched from T-Mobile to AT&T on Sunday, he said he couldnt be more happier... You might have a different opinion.

Mike said:
The iPhone looks interesting, but AT&T's plans are as pricey as Verizon's. Rumor has it Verizon is trying to work something out with Apple for an iPhone offering, but it is just that - a rumor. If it happens at all, it may not happen until 2010.

Anyone with T-Mobile? I'm looking pretty closely at the G-1 Android. I am certainly no fan of Uncle Goober, but the phone sure shows a lot of promise. I'm not familiar with T-Mobile, however.

I never use as much as 100 daytime minutes, so a small plan works for me. AT&T's rollover minutes are attractive, but likely unnecessary for me.

I'm reminded of Chris Rock and Joe Pesci talking about cell phones in Lethal Weapon IV. :)

As a Verizon employee, I can tell you Verizon Wireless is not planning an IPhone offering. They are however working on their own device.

I have an LG Dare myself and it's a great little phone.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a G-1. I like the idea of having the QWERTY keyboard, as I use the phone for a lot of e-mails.

I gave up 150 anytime minutes (that I never used anyway), gained 200 text messages and saved myself $15/month in the process. That $180/year looks better in my pocket than in the provider's pocket. ;)

I may be cussin' T-Mobile before it's all said and done, but time will tell.

I hope you like your choice Mike... my friends a software engineer and he loves his, the only downfall he doesnt like about it was that he didnt think the slide mechanism was the best. Again, hope you like it!!!! :thumbsup:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back