Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Space Heater?

PotvinGuy

Staff member
I'd like to have a natural gas space heater in the garage. Up here in MN it's too cold to work there for 6 months of winter. I asked a local heating company. They wanted $6k to do a turnkey job! I can buy a heater for $500 from Northern Tool or other places. Hang it, run a copper gas line, vents to outside. Is that worth $5500? What am I missing?
Anyone done it themselves? Experiences? Any thoughts on that price?

Check local codes and find a plumber "buddy" to help with installation. He should be able to keep you out of trouble! In St Louis, all such installations must be inspected by local inspectors, and code violations carry hefty penalties.

I installed my own. It’s fired by LP. It’s 75,000 btu unit I bought from Menards. The local LP company installed the tank and ran the copper pipe from the tank to the garage. I just had to put a 1/2” black pipe stub through the wall. I’m in rural Wisconsin. I’m not sure about the need for permits and that kind of stuff. I didn’t get any. It works great. I only start it when I’m going to be in the garage and even on a cold day in 10 minutes it’s toasty warm. T shirt warm. The floor stays cold but otherwise it’s perfect.

Have you heard of “mini splits”? They are ductless heat pumps you buy and install yourself. Looks easy and you can have A/C in the summer!

Cost at Amazon starts about $900.

Mini splits are nice but a bit out of my price range. My entire unit was less than $1,000. Heater, exhaust pipe, thermostat and miscellaneous crap included

It’s not rocket science. If you can do basic plumbing and electrical, you should be fine. Properly installing the vent and flashing is important. Make sure you understand that part.

I have two mini-splits in my garage and they work great but they are electric. I also had one like Neshkoro's in my cabinet shop and it worked well too. Just no A/C in that one, and you kind of need A/C when it is over 100 deg. outside.

Last edited:
Check building codes and if Insurance
Will pay if heater is cause of fire if you install without a permit.

Stay legal and safe. . jmtcw

I have a heater out of a mobile home or house in my 960 cf shop. It is on casters so it can be moved around if needed. (never does) I keep it around 60 to 64 when needed. With the thermostat set, it will go on and off fine in 30 degree temps. It is a 220 unit that uses my welders recep if I am not welding. Sometimes those units can be picked up free or for a few bucks from heating companies. Just check with some, and let them know you would like one, and they probably would let you know when one comes in after a remodel.

I installed my own. It’s fired by LP. It’s 75,000 btu unit I bought from Menards. The local LP company installed the tank and ran the copper pipe from the tank to the garage. I just had to put a 1/2” black pipe stub through the wall. I’m in rural Wisconsin. I’m not sure about the need for permits and that kind of stuff. I didn’t get any. It works great. I only start it when I’m going to be in the garage and even on a cold day in 10 minutes it’s toasty warm. T shirt warm. The floor stays cold but otherwise it’s perfect.
How big a tank? How long does it last? How do you refill it?
Maybe I should start by insulating the garage. I'm sure the two walls and attic have no insulation. I do have a 5kw electric heater, but it just warms the air; the car and tools stay cold.

Maybe I should start by insulating the garage. I'm sure the two walls and attic have no insulation.

That's where I would start. Garage doors too. I bet it would make a huge difference.

If you insulate, you could get by with one or two100#, 40 gal tanks. They are about the largest that are portable to fill yourself. If you want a company to deliver, I strongly suggest buying your own tank. (500 gal, etc) It gives you much more flexibility purchasing gas. I pre buy it in the summer for about half the winter price. Of course tank size is dependent on how much you heat, how warm, etc... definitely insulate first, trying to heat without it will cost you big time. If you have a panel that will support it, a used electric house furnace (air handler with a heat strip) would get you by. I have a heat pump with electric convection in my shop and it works pretty good until it gets down near zero. I only have a 10 k heat strip, that’s the issue, easily upgraded, but I have a wood burner and torpedo heaters if I need them. Hate the torpedo heaters... too loud but will bring the temp up fast. Wood burners are strictly forbidden by most insurance carriers in a garage, like any open flame heat source. You definitely want to keep your heat source off of the floor. The fumes are the reason... combustible. Look into local regs for specifics. I use LP with heat pumps in my house.

My garage is well insulated; walls and ceiling. My house is heated by propane as is the garage. The house has a 500 gallon tank and the one for the garage is 100 gallons. The 100 gallon tank will last the entire winter season. I only turn on the heat when I need to be in the garage. I don’t keep it on all the time. I lease both tanks from the LP supplier.

When I first built the garage I was heating it while insulating and dry walling it with a portable 50, 000 btu, propane powered heater Kind of like a torpedo heater but vertical. It used 20 pound gas grill tanks. I was going through those pretty quickly. I had 4 of those tanks. I’m sure the folks at the grocery store were wondering what I was using all that gas for! I was there every couple of weeks to exchange them. That lasted until I installed the hanging unit. I’m quite satisfied with the
hanging unit.

I'd like to have a natural gas space heater in the garage. Up here in MN it's too cold to work there for 6 months of winter. I asked a local heating company. They wanted $6k to do a turnkey job! I can buy a heater for $500 from Northern Tool or other places. Hang it, run a copper gas line, vents to outside. Is that worth $5500? What am I missing? Anyone done it themselves? Experiences? Any thoughts on that price?

You never mention how many square feet you are heating ??? My shop/garage is is the typical 20x20 foot
garage or 400 sq/ft. The price might be OK when pulling permits, including cost of heater, installation,
labor and profit.

I bought a Hamilton 45K BTU natural gas Forced Air heater on Ebay in March of 2008. I did not pull permits,
but that is something only you can decide on for yourself. I have a hot water heater in the garage closet, so I
had a NG line close by. I installed a tee and checked with a soapy solution for leaks. I also had saved a Honeywell
round thermostat from the house that I used and installed just inside the door to the garage. This made it really
easy to just open the door, flip the thermostat switch to ON and go eat breakfast in the morning. In 30 minutes it
would be 68°F to 70°F when it was 45°F outside. I have installed insulation in all but one outside wall, including
the ceiling.

Personally when you have NG as an option, I don’t see why you would use anything else. You would never have to
refill a bottle, never have to go without heat because you didn’t have time to run and get a bottle filled when you
wanted to complete a project and leave for an event. Maybe the only reason would be that you don’t need a permit
for some reason ???

I have replaced 80% of all my soffits, anytime I replace something on the house I use screws instead of nails. So all
I had to do was unscrew the soffit to gain access to work around the vent.

I uploaded the manual for the Hamiltion heater if you want to read all the particulars for installation, just page
down to the bottom to find it.

FP01_HamiltonGarageHeater_03052.jpg
FP01_HamiltonGarageHeater_03051.jpg
FP01_HamiltonGarageHeater_03049.jpg
FP01_HamiltonGarageHeater_03050.jpg
FP01_HamiltonGarageHeater_03054.jpg

Attachments

• Hamilton Garage Heater_Model WGH45.pdf
    345.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I bought a Hamilton 45K BTU natural gas Forced Air heater on Ebay in March of 2008. I did not pull permits,
but that is something only you can decide on for yourself.

At least your installation looks well done. Some of the "homeowner hookups" are real nightmares from a safety standpoint. If and when you sell your home, what will you do about a possible code violation?

You never mention how many square feet you are heating ??? My shop/garage is is the typical 20x20 foot
garage or 400 sq/ft. The price might be OK when pulling permits, including cost of heater, installation,
labor and profit.

but that is something only you can decide on for yourself. I have a hot water heater in the garage closet, so I
had a NG line close by. I installed a tee and checked with a soapy solution for leaks. I also had saved a Honeywell
round thermostat from the house that I used and installed just inside the door to the garage. This made it really
easy to just open the door, flip the thermostat switch to ON and go eat breakfast in the morning. In 30 minutes it
would be 68°F to 70°F when it was 45°F outside. I have installed insulation in all but one outside wall, including
the ceiling.

Personally when you have NG as an option, I don’t see why you would use anything else. You would never have to
refill a bottle, never have to go without heat because you didn’t have time to run and get a bottle filled when you
wanted to complete a project and leave for an event. Maybe the only reason would be that you don’t need a permit
for some reason ???

I have replaced 80% of all my soffits, anytime I replace something on the house I use screws instead of nails. So all
I had to do was unscrew the soffit to gain access to work around the vent.

I uploaded the manual for the Hamiltion heater if you want to read all the particulars for installation, just page
down to the bottom to find it.

View attachment 22104
View attachment 22105
View attachment 22103
View attachment 22107
View attachment 22106
Agree, natural gas is best. Perhaps if we had some details and or pics of the shop in question, showing the existing gas line, etc, we could offer better help.

If and when you sell your home, what will you do about a possible code violation?
Suppose I could just remove the gas and electrical connections.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back