Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Speedometers

Spanky

Staff member
When I finished my build in 2016 and began to drive it, I had trouble with gears for my speedometer. I finally decided to junk the cable driven speedo for a GPS unit and I love it. How many of you have a GPS speedometer in your car?

(PS - My old speedo was off, so I had a little card that told me how fast I was going at different RPMs in each gear.)

Last edited:
Me in Both cars.....................Best way to know how fast you are going.........

When I finished my build in 2016 and began to drive it, I had trouble with gears for my speedometer. I finally decided to junk the cable driven speedo for a GPS unit and I love it. How many of you have a GPS speedometer in your car?

(PS - My old speedo was off, so I had a little card that told me how fast I was going at different RPMs in each gear.)
I got used to using the tach on previous builds due to inaccurate Speedo readings from gear or transmission swaps. I remember the old days of matching different colored speedometer drive and tail shaft gears to tire size and gear ratio.... we had to make reduction gear boxes when I worked at the cab company in ‘81 because the meters were cable driven. gps seems like cheating! We had one Chevy parts dealer that was awesome and had the gears in stock and were very helpful in matching them up. The goal was to get within 5 mph or less at highway speeds. I still have some of those things somewhere in my parts stash. Revenge for my estate!

I'm running a GPS speedo in my car too. Can't remember the brand but sometimes it takes a while to start working. I may need to add an antenna wire to it as I think there is a hookup for that in the back.

My bucket had a GPS speedometer I bought from Amazon. I think I paid around $60 for it. It works intermittently. Other places have them for $200-300 and up. Must be something good for that price.

I got mine from Speedhut in Orem Utah. Besides showing speed it also does.....

Clock
Elevation
Direction
Peak Speed
0 - 60 mph/time
1/4 mile times

Last edited:
Can you get GPS speedometers without some sort of antenna device on the dash or somewhere else that is out in the open?

My antenna sits under the dash, and is rolled up. Never had a drop out except maybe in a tunnel.

My electric speedo failed and finally gave up. I had some spare phones that I put the speedo app on. Made a mount for the steering column.
It keeps up with miles traveled, current speed, fastest speed, speed average, time and direction. Pretty handy. It only works on an android phone. App is called digihud.

My electric speedo failed and finally gave up. I had some spare phones that I put the speedo app on. Made a mount for the steering column.
It keeps up with miles traveled, current speed, fastest speed, speed average, time and direction. Pretty handy. It only works on an android phone. App is called digihud.
I used to keep my gps unit in the vehicle, but they are now basically extinct and obsolete since everything is now available on smart phones. I’m not even sure if they will still operate without a subscription, if that’s even a option. I used to laugh at “old folks” and their struggles with current technology. Karma is rewarding me richly!

My GPS has never cost me anything, I guess it uses the FREE satellites from Botswanna. LOL !

Son using a gps in his 50 stude so far so good. Inexpensive and easy the antenna is under the "steel" dash.

Check this out . . .

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back