Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering rod angle question (PIC)

This is not my car, but notice how the steering rod is angled up on the steep angle? Is this normal?

Mine is in mock up stage and will look exactly like this with the parts I have. To me the angle looked to severe, so I purchased the "2 inch drop" version that Speedway sells, but it's going to take some work to get it to fit on my spindle. So before I go through all the trouble, can I use the same set up below? It jsut doen't look correct to me.

Attachments

• $_57 hh.JPG
    $_57 hh.JPG
    437.1 KB · Views: 227
Looks ok to me. What do you think is the issue with having the angle?

Just thinking in terms of physics. You would use more energy to push on that angle, vs on a straight line.

In a drastic comparison, but related, if you tried to push a car from a standing position with your arms on a diagonal pushing on the hood, it would be harder than if you crouched down and pushed straight on the grill. Know what I mean?

Mine is angled up like that also. It doesn't seem to create any steering issues. Say, didn't I see that car on eBait? I remember those cool polished flames on the wings.

Jack

So you think, I'm worrying over nothing then? And the one on the top of the attached image is OK? It's an easier option for me, because the bottom one(with the drop) doesn't line up exactly.

Attachments

• option.jpg
    option.jpg
    637.9 KB · Views: 212
BTW.. Yes that car was just on ebay last week. I grabbed that picture because mine was torn apart, and was the same basic steering setup as mine.

This is mine...

Attachments

• rod.jpg
    rod.jpg
    468.9 KB · Views: 215
Just thinking in terms of physics. You would use more energy to push on that angle, vs on a straight line.

In a drastic comparison, but related, if you tried to push a car from a standing position with your arms on a diagonal pushing on the hood, it would be harder than if you crouched down and pushed straight on the grill. Know what I mean?

Not gonna make any difference. The box offers a lot of increased force and it doesn't take much to turn the wheels at anything over a crawl anyway.
Having the draglink on that angle actually helps prevent bumpsteer due to the draglink pivoting in a fashion that matches the pivoting of the hairpin. 4 bars require all the bars to be level and parallel but things are a bit different with hairpins and wishbones due to the single pivot point on either side of the frame.

Here's mine, no bump steer at all...

p666422539.jpg

Jack

In theory, optimum would be for the drag link to be at the same angle as the radius rods in order to avoid bump steer. In reality, there is so little suspension travel in these cars that it would be hardly noticeable.

Reactions: RPM
As long as your drag link is at 90* to the pitman arm when the wheels are straight.

I'm with Bob66440. but I would try and put the steering arm on to the bottom of the spindle, or bend the arm down lower , just for cosmetic reasons.

Picture 2 on the bottom. That's the angle. Matches the radius rods. This is how mine is setup. No steering issues at all, minus the bump steer you get with any direct steering setup.

If you flip it around the crossing of the tubes will throw the look of the car off.

You might be able to flip the steering arm on the spindle and mount the drag line on the bottom also.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back