Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

t buckets for tall guys

timar

Hi all,
i am new to this forum and have a question. i have found several sources for bodies with up to an 8 inch stretch. i have never sat in a t bucket, so don't know how much leg room there is for a tall guy. ( 6' 4" ) would the longer body be the way to go? thanks for your help.

A longer body will fit you more comfortably.

Jim

Jim, i recently downloaded the youngster frame plans. to modify for the longer body do i just add the length of stretch to the main frame rail length? thanks, tim
A longer body will fit you more comfortably.

Jim
[/quote]

I purchased a stretched body from RPM ( Ron Pope ) it has 10 inches added to it. It was made by Hermans Fast Glass. I also widened the body 6 inches, If i'am going to
ride i wont to enjoy it in comfort.

I second that on the 10 inch stretch body from RPM and Hermans Fast Glass. You can sit in there very comfortably without your knees above the top of the body. You will really like a longer body, for sure.

when you go with the longer body, do you add the extra length to the main frame rail length? haven't built my frame yet and just want to be sure i'm thinking right. thanks

Our 10" stretch body
natspics036-2.jpg

Foot room in the stretch body. That is me in the car, I am 6'2"
natspics043-2.jpg

Yes just add 10" to the main frame rail length. This body needs 58" on top of the main rail.

Absolutely. I'm 6-1 and have the CCR stretch body. Without the stretch I'd be resting my chin on my knee. And try to keep the seat low so you don't hang out the top. I have a 6" seat riser and a flat seat and it is too much; I'm going to redo the interior with a riser of 2 or 3 inches, and slope the seat towards the rear, so I look like I'm IN the car, not ON it!

Here's my father driving my Spirit bucket. He's 6'6" and all legs.

You can have fun with a standard bucket, but you'll be planning to build a stretch after the first hundred miles.

DSCF7523-vi.jpg

That might look good in Yella.
Snigger
Gerry

Absolutely. I'm 6-1 and have the CCR stretch body. Without the stretch I'd be resting my chin on my knee. And try to keep the seat low so you don't hang out the top. I have a 6" seat riser and a flat seat and it is too much; I'm going to redo the interior with a riser of 2 or 3 inches, and slope the seat towards the rear, so I look like I'm IN the car, not ON it!

I tried that about 10 years ago, on my previous bucket. The swoopy seat was real comfortable too sit in, but after 10 minutes my right leg would go numb.

Current bucket has a 6 inch cushion, and altho I sit on it and not in it, its real comfortable on trips.

Attachments

• Bucket Oceanside.jpg
    Bucket Oceanside.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 76
The "Plans" are set for a 45 inch body. If you are using a streched body You will have to add to the main rail lenght. I would strongly suggest having the body on hand when you set up the frame. As a rule of thumb, I use 1 inch clearances at the fan to radiator, block to firewall and back of the body to the kick. Set your major components up and move them around till you find the look you want. Some use 2x4's to build a mock frame, not a bad idea, steel isn't cheap.

Ron

I second what Youngster said about using 2x4's.

Jim

2x4s used for mockup is a pretty good idea (I've done it before) BUT I had a friend that used some sheet metal C Channel he formed using a metal brake.

He built his frame to exact specification since the C Cannel was 2x3, and yes there was a lot if changing "this-and-thats" during the build.

With a little Hobart 110 mig and a chop saw, he was able to get it perfect before ever cutting any of the 2x3 box.

Just another way of doing it... but yeah, mockup FIRST is always the best idea.

Don't forget that the depth of the body/floor helps considerably too. A lot of the T buckets channel the body over the frame. In doing this you cut down the leg room considerably if you want to sit "in" the car. My '27 is not channeled and I made frame rail covers to fit the body/frame that keep it looking right. If I were to do it again, I would keep manipulate the frame in a way that I could actually lower the floor form the top of the frame (kinda like a corvette). This way I could sit even lower and have additional room at the floor box. The little track '27 in the pics below is built that way, with extra room at the foot box. I spoke to the builder at Frog Follies this year and the extra few inches there make a bunch of difference.

DSCF0058.jpg

DSCF0060.jpg

That is a good point benT. Sostans bucket was on top of the frame and he had a ton of room compared to my Total T that is channeled. I like the lower look better but you do sacrifice room for it.

I always thought it would be cool to build something similar to the picture below but strong enough to attach the front frame rails to the frame in the picture making a unibody type structure or a tube chassis car. This would allow you to make the floor as deep as the body and just have a higher drive shaft tunnel.

frame%20showing%20side%20intrusion%20wrinkle%20installed%20cowl%20channel%20.jpg

That is a good point benT. Sostans bucket was on top of the frame and he had a ton of room compared to my Total T that is channeled. I like the lower look better but you do sacrifice room for it.

I always thought it would be cool to build something similar to the picture below but strong enough to attach the front frame rails to the frame in the picture making a unibody type structure or a tube chassis car. This would allow you to make the floor as deep as the body and just have a higher drive shaft tunnel.

frame%20showing%20side%20intrusion%20wrinkle%20installed%20cowl%20channel%20.jpg

Man thats cool. Got me thinkin now..... what if, maybe I could......perhaps if we could get some alloy and just..... what about.... it just goes on

What about a really small diameter carbon fibre prop shaft and the rear end being a trans-axle. Imagine the freedom for the front chassis legs. Ohhhh I am getting excited.. What about using the whole of the front chassis member as a suspension element. You could have the cleanest ever front beam axle. Wow it just goes on and on. Got to stop now otherwise I wont sleep tonight. Then there is the Lotus method of gluing things together. Shoot I have edited this one 5 times now. Stop please someone stop me!!!!!
Gerry

Man thats cool. Got me thinkin now..... what if, maybe I could......perhaps if we could get some alloy and just..... what about.... it just goes on

What about a really small diameter carbon fibre prop shaft and the rear end being a trans-axle. Imagine the freedom for the front chassis legs. Ohhhh I am getting excited.. What about using the whole of the front chassis member as a suspension element. You could have the cleanest ever front beam axle. Wow it just goes on and on. Got to stop now otherwise I wont sleep tonight. Then there is the Lotus method of gluing things together. Shoot I have edited this one 5 times now. Stop please someone stop me!!!!!
Gerry

How about a 21st century Americanized version, an independent front suspension, a C5 Corvette EFI engine and drive line tucked under a 27 tub with a track nose full hood with side curtains that cover the suspension mounting points and a big open fuel cell covering the IRS?

Al

Hmmmm, how about this?

2611398048_709cd809c5_z.jpg

2611397808_0e4d6f95c7_z.jpg

2610563087_2b79ebddf6_z.jpg

2610562913_bcb36c8d92_z.jpg

I took a BUNCH of pics of this one. I'm normally into more traditional buckets but this one was slick.

Widened body, vette suspension, little tricks like the body was contoured and sculpted to form around the exhaust cutouts, etc.

SLICK hotrod.

Sorry but we seems to have hijacked this thread. IRS on the front of a T, not for me
Gerry

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back