Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tail Light Upgrade

Indycars

In 2015 when everything was coming together at the same time (Engine & Trans)
money was a little more scarce, but now it's time to go back and upgrade certain
aspects of the car.

I've always been concerned about people seeing me from behind, especially
during the day when my small tail lights just didn't show up very well.

I think the car will be seen now. The lights are dual faced and at first I didn't
want the second side, but figured I could black-out the amber side. Now I'm
thinking it might be a good thing, it should light up the back of car for better
visibility at night. Looks like I might need to move the license plate over some.

FP01_NewTailLightCompare_02716.jpg

The old lights cost $30 for the pair, the new lights were $100 for the pair.
Both are LED.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lights/Optronics/STL52ARB.html

FP01_NewTailLightCompare_02723.jpg

Those look sweet, thanls for including the link . . . turns out e-trailer takes PayPal so I popped for 3, (always good to have a spare) of these complete with rubber mounting boots, wires, and stainless look plastic trim rings

Fusion LED Trailer Tail Light - Stop, Tail, Turn, Backup - Submersible - Oval - Red/Clear Lens Optronics Trailer Lights STL211RB (etrailer.com)

I need the backup light component along with stop/turn/tail and the boot mounting looks like it will work with the shape of the '27 back end below the rear deck lid.

I'll post a couple pics and my impression of the overall quality once they get here . . . almost anything has ti be better than the el-cheapo replica '32's that came with my car kit.

Those look sweet, thanks for including
the link . . . turns out e-trailer takes PayPal so I popped for 3,

I always try to include links or part numbers to the components I'm using, supper glad it finally
paid off !!!

Do you have to include back-up lights to be legal in the islands. I did have a tag light, but removed
it since the amber/back side of the lights should provide more than enough light.

Got tired of the cheap Amazon turn lights I had in the front, so I went to a Kawasaki motorcycle
shop in OKC and bought 2 lights for $125. Only because I thought they would be quality and I
could start thinking about other projects.

Last edited:
To continue from the paragraph above .....

The turn signal has an eyebrow that can be rotated 360° to fit any orientation needed.

FP02_TurnSignal_02725.jpg
FP02_TurnSignalSideView_02725.jpg

I always try to include links or part numbers to the components I'm using, supper glad it finally
paid off !!!

Do you have to include back-up lights to be legal in the islands. I did have a tag light, but removed
it since the amber/back side of the lights should provide more than enough light.

Got tired of the cheap Amazon turn lights I had in the front, so I went to a Kawasaki motorcycle
shop in OKC and bought 2 lights for $125. Only because I thought they would be quality and I
could start thinking about other projects.

I'm sure if I don't have backup lights it'll be something I needed to have . . .it's one of the things, like e-brake, they never fail to check at annual inspection.

It's one of the reasons I got the Lokar shift boot/ gear selection indicator kit . . . the decoder box has an output for backup lights and park/neutral start interlock.

Turn signals look sweet as well, and the finish looks first rate.

I'm sure if I don't have backup lights it'll be something I needed to have . . .it's one of the things, like e-brake, they never fail to check at annual inspection.
You can never too too careful !

To continue from the paragraph above .....

The turn signal has an eyebrow that can be rotated 360° to fit any orientation needed.

View attachment 20690
View attachment 20689
Indy, I think we have the same valve covers:
ACtC-3cdBJeEB4LlZjzRpKBKICY2AKMx4SiyQj0ZiB3rNlJ0KXzgl7mwbaaa22XwcEWQuGbjS2H-FA95qxQ_VZ1MefeMFA85f1DQAkJ_BLQZz437dZy7MVE8q7rBfgDDo3DfVPzJkagJkij6OMNMPIojdi_n=w1474-h941-no

I painted the top halves black.

I saw those right away too. They're cool.

Where did you guys get'em?

Indy, I think we have the same valve covers:
Great minds think alike !!!

I saw those right away too. They're cool.

Where did you guys get'em?

You can get them at Summit and probably Jegs also.

https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=PRO-141-915

They really work nice when adjusting the valves. I added a piece aluminum flat bar 1-1/2" wide
to cover the rocker on the pushrod side. I attached it where the top would have been. I have a stud
girdle now and it still works for adjusting the valves.

FP01_OilDeflectorSpacers_6162.jpg
FP01_AluminumOilBlock_00819.jpg

Last edited:
Why ..... thank you !!!

Just one more photo ..... kinda ?

Decided to use a Deutsch DTM 3 pin connector this time. Last time they were hard wired.

FP03_NewTailLightCompare_02730.jpg

I bought these kits in both Deutsch DT and DTM sizes. DTM is the miniature connectors, so
can only handle 7.5 amps. Enough for tail lights and my dash wiring.

I bought my own crimper, therefore the kits below are w/o a crimper.

Deutsch DTM
DTM Gray Installer Kit - WireCare.com

Deutsch DT
DT, Installer Kit w/o Crimper, Gray - WireCare.com

upload_2021-4-23_18-53-28.png

Last edited:
Wow, That is nice but $250 seems to be excessive for tail light plugs. Does that kit include different plugs to wire the rest of the car too?

Check out the link. But here is the contents of one kit. Includes multiple connectors
from 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 12 pin conductors, see below.

Deutsch Kits
Genuine Deutsch DT Series connectors, ranging in size from 2 to 12 contacts, including Sealing Plugs, Extraction Tool and assorted Mounting Brackets in a strong steel divider case with plenty of room for additional products. The DT Series kits are an ideal way to quickly stock up on the most common and widely used Deutsch DT connector system products, and to have an on-hand connector assortment for a variety of harness construction and repair needs. This DT Series Kit is available without the HDT-48-00 crimping tool, and with black plugs and receptacles.

Kit Includes:

• 20 - 0413-204-2005 Sealing Plug Contact Size 20
  • 25 - 0460-010-20141 DTM Series Solid Pin, Nickel 16-18
  • 50 - 0460-202-20141 Solid Pin Size 20, 20 AWG Nickel
  • 25 - 0462-005-20141 DTM Series Socket Solid Nickel 16-18
  • 50 - 0462-201-20141 Solid Socket Size 20, 20AWG Nickel
  • 5 - 1011-026-0205 DT Mounting Clip (Gray)
  • 1 - DTM Series Kit Instruct Booklet
  • 1 - DT-RT1 DT Contact Wedgelock Removal Tool
  • 2 - DTM04-08PA DTM Receptacle 8 Way B Key
  • 2 - DTM04-12PA DTM Receptacle 12 Way B Key
  • 4 - DTM04-2P DTM Receptacle 2 Way (Gray)
  • 4 - DTM04-3P DTM Receptacle 3 Way (Gray)
  • 3 - DTM04-4P DTM Receptacle 4 Way (Gray)
  • 3 - DTM04-6P DTM Receptacle 6 Way (Gray)
  • 2 - DTM06-08SA DTM Plug 8 Way B Key
  • 2 - DTM06-12SA DTM Plug 12 Way B Key
  • 4 - DTM06-2S DTM Plug 2 Way (Gray)
  • 4 - DTM06-3S DTM Plug 3 Way (Gray)
  • 3 - DTM06-4S DTM Plug 4 Way (Gray)
  • 3 - DTM06-6S DTM Plug 6 Way (Gray)
  • 2 - WM-12P DTM, 12 Way Receptacle Lock Orange
  • 2 - WM-12S DTM, 12 Way Plug Lock Orange
  • 4 - WM-2P DTM, 2 Way Recept. Lock Orange
  • 4 - WM-2S DTM, Lock, 2 Way Plug Orange
  • 4 - WM-3P DTM, 3 Way Recept. Lock Orange
  • 1 - WM-3S DTM, 3 Way Plug Lock, Orange
  • 3 - WM-4P DT, Mini 4 Way Recept. Lock Orange
  • 3 - WM-4S DT,Mini 4 Way Plug Lock Orange
  • 3 - WM-6P DT, Mini 6 Way Recept. Lock Orange
  • 3 - WM-6S DT, Mini 6 Way Plug Lock Orange
  • 2 - WM-8P Lock, DTM, 8 Way Receptacle Orange
  • 2 - WM-8SDTM, 8 Way Plug, Lock Orange
  • 1 - 109-95 Deutsch DT Kit Steel Cabinet

Last edited:
Did you change something? I swear all that info didn’t come up when I checked it last time!
I changed the lights to something bigger and brighter, then used the Deutsch connector
instead of hard wiring the lights.

Unless you paged down, you would not have seen the extra info.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back