Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tapping frame

Johnny

Okay, time for another rookie question. Is there a cool tool made so ya can tap a hole in an inside corner of a frame? My T handle won't spin all the way around. It worked fine everywhere else, but she noaworky on inside corners.

HELP!!

Okay, time for another rookie question. Is there a cool tool made so ya can tap a hole in an inside corner of a frame? My T handle won't spin all the way around. It worked fine everywhere else, but she noaworky on inside corners.

HELP!!
Most taps have a movable handle so you slide it from side to side to allow for clearance. I've also used a small wrench to turn the tap in tight areas. Hope that helps.

Thanks. I was just checking on the internet and found a ratcheting tap wrench. Going shopping for one tomorrow.

I don't usually bother with a tap wrench, I put the tap in my cordless drill. A slow speed and steady hand is all it takes.

if its a small enough tap, chuck it up in a cordless drill. ive done thousands of 1/4" holes that way. Glue a small bubble level to the drill and you can tap perfectly square to the material every time no matter how your standing

there are a few companies that make tap sockets which i use all the time mine are from a company called lisle the part number is 70500 for the whole set. they are $32 on toolsource.com

Something i also do is set the torque on my cordless to ratchet when the load gets to much so as not to break the tap. Works spantabulious on 6/32 ,8/32 taps.
"Spantabulious" definition; The fealing you get when you have had to many adult beverages and what your working on still comes out great.

you can prolly find a socket that will fit the square shank of the tap. I was chasing out the threads on the hubs on my jetboat trailer putting in longer bolts to use lug nuts in place of whoever had the boat before and had just bolts holding mag wheels on.

Any way I needed more leverage so got a small socket to fit. Eventually it rounded the socket so I just welded the socket to the tap. That way you can use a socket wrench and an extention if need be.

you can prolly find a socket that will fit the square shank of the tap. I was chasing out the threads on the hubs on my jetboat trailer putting in longer bolts to use lug nuts in place of whoever had the boat before and had just bolts holding mag wheels on.

Any way I needed more leverage so got a small socket to fit. Eventually it rounded the socket so I just welded the socket to the tap. That way you can use a socket wrench and an extention if need be.

I have to go with the cordless drill thing. I found that the smooth even power of the drill puts taps through thing that by hand can be a real swine. They are especially good if tapping thin sections. Use plenty of lubrictation, it also holds the swarf in the flutes. Old trick if you want to try anmd avoid swarf getting inside something is to load the tap with treading lube
Gerry

almost every last bolt hole in the tube frames for the windows in the Switzer Building in DC were done using dewalt 110v drills. Which worked way better then the tapping gun we have at work (which i refer to as the "floppy cock tap snapper")

we did however burn up one of the drills somewhere around the 7,523th hole though ...

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back