Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Hello from Central Arkansas

James C

Hi my name is James I’m 40+ and I am from central Arkansas & just sold my motorcycle a few weeks ago since it was taking up space. I hadn't had much opportunity to ride since my little girl was born 5 years ago. I decided when I sold it to get a hot rod but wasn't sure of what. After looking at rust buckets and overpriced junk from craigslist all over the state I am now entertaining the idea of building a T bucket.I like the simplicity of it, the fact that since I would have built it (probably with my step dad’s help) it would be all the result of our work and the car would be uniquely mine. I've run the idea by my step-dad and he was all for it.

I haven’t ever owned a bucket but I have had a couple classic VW’s, a couple motorcycles, and a muscle car. I figured a bucket can’t be any more exposed than a bike, and will probably handle at least as good as my old ’72 nova with drag shocks did back in the ‘90’s.

Mechanically my experience is I worked with my step dad on his dirt track cars back when he raced 20 years ago and went to I Nashville Auto diesel back then also. I also spent a summer working at a vintage VW shop before I decided that being a mechanic was not the life for me (I hated getting comebacks for unrelated problems). I’ve always done most of the work on my cars but I've farmed out some of the stuff I wasn’t equipped to do. I’m a little rusty in the mechanical area since for the last several years all I've had to do is simple maintenance. I still remember most of the theory I've learned though.

Fabrication wise I took welding in high school over 20 years ago & I made a lot of my armor back when I was regularly playing with the Society for Creative Anachronism. The SCA was another of those things that kind of dropped off after my daughter was born. Not much of an opportunity to drive across 3 states to fight in a tournament and stay up all night afterwards drinking when you have a little kid. I can tell you straight up I don’t know jack about fiberglass though. All I know is it is itchy in insulation, that it can break if you hit it hard enough. That said I am always willing to learn.

My step dad is 60+ and doesn’t do computers but works as a diesel mechanic/ truck driver for a local municipal utility construction company. He raced and built street stock dirt track cars for years until he felt he was told old for it and built a bunch of hotrods over the years. He thinks this would be cool and would be willing to come help me with parts of it if I needed it.

I’ve looked over the site and you guys seem to know your stuff and have built some really cool looking cars. I’ve also looked over the websites of the manufacturers who are listed here. Right now I am working out a build budget based on what I have saved & how much I can spend a month on a build. Still trying to figure out what I want vs. what I want to spend for it. I am really impressed with a lot of what I see here and hope to learn from as well as hopefully contribute to this forum should we decide to go ahead and purchase a T bucket.

James, welcome from Ocala, Florida. There are a lot of great people here and can really help you, even if you just read the threads like I do.

Welcome James...Lot's of good info here.....learn to use the search button and the BS filter (provided by YOU). Also, the guys up the road in Flippen can be a lot of help building a bucket. Set up a visit of their shop. Josh is knowledgeable but the "knowledge" is back in the shop. LOL

Welcome James...Lot's of good info here.....learn to use the search button and the BS filter (provided by YOU). Also, the guys up the road in Flippen can be a lot of help building a bucket. Set up a visit of their shop. Josh is knowledgeable but the "knowledge" is back in the shop. LOL

Thanks. I know there is a car show up there next month on the 6th. I was thinking of driving up there & taking a look if they will be around.

Thanks. I know there is a car show up there next month on the 6th. I was thinking of driving up there & taking a look if they will be around.

Several T Buckets around that area that could be there. However, there is a NTBA Mini Nats event Sept 4-6 in Lake of the Ozarks, MO. T Buckets only at that one.

Welcome from South Georgia! You should definitely check out the NTBA meet as mountainman suggested. You can learn so much about these cars by an up close and personal look at these cars and the craftsmanship some of these guys have, and some of it is pure art. All of the sponsors on this sight can do you a basic frame that will cut out a lot of fabrication type work, leaving the small things for you to customize it and make it your own. I'm on my first build myself and the best advice I can give is don't bite off more than your skills can chew, do a LOT of research, then make a plan and stick to it. (Saves you a lot of money!). Hope you share your build with us, and you will have a blast!!

Welcome from Oklahoma. Planning on making it to Flippin next month for the Car Craze Show. Was there last year, and had a great time. Also made a visit to the Spirit Cars shop. Always good to see the gang there, and what they have going.
Lee

Welcome from Indy!

Definately check check out the Lake of the Ozarks event. We came from Indy last year and had a blast- so much so, we're coming again this year!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back