Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tips on flaring brake lines

First use a good tool! I use a Snap-On I have had for 40years nad have no problems. I think Eastwood has one for about $150 that a friend has and it is sweet!

The tool really makes a difference, but also, a clean, square cut and no burr in the end. I use a drill to deburr, good tubing cutters have a burr tool built in. I found a inexpensive flair tool that is build out of locking pliers, vise grip like, and works really well. It was less than 30 bucks. If you decide to use the type with the clamp bar and seperate flair attachment, clamp it in a vice, I've yet to use one that didn't slip, in fact, I refuse to waste my time with those kind. Mastercool makes a very nice hydraulic tube flair tool, but it's NOT cheap. Here's one similar to the inexpensive one.
You are being redirected...

I've read good things about this Ridgid 377.

Ridgid 377.jpg

I put just a smear of antiseize on the face of both the double and single flare face. I do not have to reapply for the second or following flares. Also doing a second tightening after loosening off seems to leave a good face. When installing the flared line, I tighten, loosen and retighten to seat the new flare to the fitting. I use the clamp type flaring tool made by Blue Point.

I use the Rigid 377 also and it works well.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back