Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tires for wire wheels

rodder98

Hi All,

First post here and I reallly need some help. I have a set of wire wheels unknown of the brand name that needs a set of tires. i used to use the chen shin tires that total performance would sell. however, I have been told by speedway that Chen Shin no longer makes the tire. Speedway recommends running a 130/90h 16 motorcycle tire and they have had much success. The problem with that is the brand and they recommend they no longer make either. Ok Guys, there has to be some of us out there running wire wheels still, can you please go out in your garage and tell me what tires your running so I can put some new shoes on the girl to get running down the highway again. i have found a few motorcycle tires of that size that are tube tires, just wanted to see what others are using. Thanks for all your help. Feel free to email direct if you wish

Dan

Port Washington, WI
shazaam@wi.rr.com

First off, welcome Dan. :hoist: Just check with a bike shop, it would be based on looks and tread design. That is a front tire size for an Electraglide. I prefer running Continentals on my Harley. I like the handling of them. Dunlops get better tread wear. Basically it comes down to, tread pattern and load rating. Clear as mud? :jester:

I went to Bridgestone 3.50 x 18's from the motorcycle store.

Jeff

Most all MC tires for a front end on any car,t-buck ,rod what ever is a bad idea,same goes for tractor tires with only ribs and no tread,they have a round cross tire tread very little on the road=good for MC,sucks for brakes grip on higher load needed on a rod. Go for something that at lest has some contack with the road for good braking if ya can. Ya I know lots are using them,but that don't make it a good idea.

Not sure if this is still an active thread but I would not recommend using motorcycle tires on a car of any kind.
First of all the tire itself was never designed to carry that much weight or the kind of side loading that would be put on it from hard turns in its vertical orientation on a car.
Second is that because it was designed for a much lighter bike the rubber compound is a lot softer than a cars tire for better traction under less than ideal conditions.
This can work in your favor, but will shorten the lifespan and considering that a bike tire only lasts about 10K on a bike.
Any kind of hard usage on a car could easily have them worn to a dangerous degree in very short order.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back