Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Torque Converter

I did read on Hotrod magazine when doing research on the L79, that a big cam in a light car (and they were talking about a Chevy II) needed a 2500 stall minimum.
Sorry it was Super Chevy and really a 1960 ish L79 cam is not much compared to todays street strip stuff.

1965-'68 Chevy L79 Engine - High-Performance 327 Engine - Super Chevy Magazine

and another suggestion

Stall suggestions for 350 with a 700R4? - NastyZ28.com

So these guys are talking an engine around 350 HP, and a car that weighs just over 3000LBs ,,
If HP to Weight ratio has allot to do with it I would say 2500 min even if your only pushing 280HP in a car under 2000 Lbs

What does a high stall converter do?

Last edited:
One of our supplier will stall converters for me and braze the fins, not a problem in the UK. We used to do it our selves but these days its cheaper for me to get the supplier to do it. In fact they have a book with fin angles V stall for a lot of the older TCs. Maybe worth a call to some trans shops in the area and ask the question.

It's been a long while since I messed w/auto trans. but the only way you'd be getting "clutch apply" pressure in P?N is if the valve body is leaking/worn/out of adjustment ...
dave

I contacted ACC torque converters on Friday, told them all the specs of the car and drive train and they gave me a recommended torque converter to use. Much different than what I am currently using.... one is on order and should have soon. Install will take a day either pulling the engine or the trans......I think I can sneak the trans back far enough to drop and pull the TC, hoping this will solve my problems. Very knowledgeable and helpful they ere once I told them my issues and gave them my specs. Time will tell.........

What did they reccommend?

I contacted ACC torque converters on Friday, told them all the specs of the car and drive train and they gave me a recommended torque converter to use. Much different than what I am currently using.... one is on order and should have soon. Install will take a day either pulling the engine or the trans......I think I can sneak the trans back far enough to drop and pull the TC, hoping this will solve my problems. Very knowledgeable and helpful they ere once I told them my issues and gave them my specs. Time will tell.........

Their suggestion was 34044 night stalker TC provided I have a 17 spline .....more pricy than what I was expecting , so I asked for something comparable only cheaper and they gave me 34053 which both are a 3600 stall TC and 9.75 TC but, with the weight of the car will stall around 1800. i felt confident on their recommendation as they asked many questions from cam size, and even exhaust back pressure.....so I dropped the order will install and see what happens, surely better results than a 12" converter.... I am guessing. I will follow up once installed.

I wonder just how much more heat that going to add to the fluid temperature?
You might/possibly be needing a cooler in my opinion. And there will be lots
of opinion on that subject.

I have a stock, I think 12" and 2800 stall converter and my temperature coming out
of the trans cooler line reaches 200°F will a 9x12 passive cooler.

The higher stall does create more heat. Not sure if the light weight T will work it much. Not a bad addition to add at a later time. Good rainy Saturday project.

3600 stall seems a bit high to me, but I'm no expert.
How much HP are you running ,, what engine ?

New TC installed and to be honest cannot really tell a large difference......however, that being said I have not yet put in "N" and seen if it wants to walk away on me. I did on another note get a full set of edelbrock springs for the carbs and actually swapped out everyone and went back to the yellow which seemed to run the best after also changing the metering rods to a larger size.... went just .005 larger. The rod I am pretty happy with now, but, need to pull the plugs and check the color......still maybe a bit rich, but that maybe the nature of the tunnel ram beast.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back