Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

torque converter

specops

My bucket has been in the shop for two week now and the mechanic can not get the carbs set up right. He change everything he could think of and just cant get it to run perfect. If you are cruising at forty MPH and floor it, it sometime will studder and sometime you will just get a complete dead pedal. The last thing we talked about was, he wanted to put a higher stall torque converter. A 3000 stall, I think.. maybe a 3500. What size does everyone else have and do you think this will help.

you will like a 3000 stall. I got a 3500 and love it but I got alittle bit more than you prolly..

I run a 3000 behind a moderately warmed over 350 (aprox 400 hp).

specops said:
My bucket has been in the shop for two week now and the mechanic can not get the carbs set up right. He change everything he could think of and just cant get it to run perfect. If you are cruising at forty MPH and floor it, it sometime will studder and sometime you will just get a complete dead pedal. The last thing we talked about was, he wanted to put a higher stall torque converter. A 3000 stall, I think.. maybe a 3500. What size does everyone else have and do you think this will help.

Maybe I'm missing something here........a shudder and a completely dead pedal aren't gonna be cured by a change of torque converter....:eek:...it will help from power stand point.....especially if your running a tunnelran and a stout cam......cause the engine will have enough RPM to continue to rev........

Tell you mechanic to get the engine running right first........THEN put a torque converter in it.......................:cool:

At 40 MPH, in Drive, going down the road....depending on your gears, your probably turning between 2400 to 2800 for reasonable highway gears.......if your engine can't pull a load cracking the throttle sharply......either you got a aweful lot of cam, a lot of carb, a big vaccuum leak, or several of the above conditions........

You mentioned its been in the shop for 2 weeks.......When did it start, what happened to cause it NOT to run fine.......did you put on a 2x4 setup? Change your camshaft? A tuneup? You mentioned CARBS.....more than one, more than 2?????? We need something to go by...........

Oh, Yea........WELCOME Aboard!!!!!!!:)

HEE-HEE.........just looked at your photo.....Yep.....got the tunnelram blues, as I call them.......you can get them running pretty decent.......the only one I had trouble running on a hot street engine was the early Edlebrock Units made for 6500 Plus RPMs........they were completely dead below 4000........What gears are you running???????? Need to shoot for 3.23's or 3.55's at a min. with this intake......and what cam are you running and the installed spec's.................

Telman everytime i see your avatar i want a shot of crown and coke.:)

Tell the mechanic to have one carb is the 'idle' carb.....the other carb is for the haulin' ass part of the equation.......the haulin' carb should have the idle screws run completely in, (shut off, in other words), with the butterflys seated, just a touch off nothing on the screw..........
The Idle carb.....tune that one for your idle...........put a progressive linkage on with the secondary carb coming in at about 40% throttle with all playing the American Anthem at full bore getdown!:)

People just seem to freak when theres more than 1 Carb involved.....alotof times.....mechanics are the worse..........always.....idle is controlled with 1 carb !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to be an a--hole, but you should get another mechanic.
A converter will help get past a low torque rpm, but it not the cure for the bog.

If a hammer won't fix it, it's electrical

[quote name='Screamin' Metal']Tell the mechanic to have one carb is the 'idle' carb.....the other carb is for the haulin' ass part of the equation.......the haulin' carb should have the idle screws run completely in, (shut off, in other words), with the butterflys seated, just a touch off nothing on the screw..........
The Idle carb.....tune that one for your idle...........put a progressive linkage on with the secondary carb coming in at about 40% throttle with all playing the American Anthem at full bore getdown!:cry:

People just seem to freak when theres more than 1 Carb involved.....alotof times.....mechanics are the worse..........always.....idle is controlled with 1 carb !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

yep progressive linkage or change the cams on the carb or try if there holleys go up a step on your squirter's. I am thinking the progressive linkage will do the trick. but there are other thinks you can try before you spend 400 bucks on a converter. wait till you put a 4100 stall in a bucket now that is fun. I got a buddy here that builds them from scratch and only been doing it for about 18 years so hes getting better at it.:lol::).

"----wait till you put a 4100 stall in a bucket now that is fun.----", ...oh yea......gotta watch it though....get that baby hooking up and it'll flat snatch a knot in your ass!!!!!!! :win:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back