Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Trans Cooler

TexasT

What transmission coolers are you guys running? Was wondering if under the car cooler would cool ok?

TexasT said:
What transmission coolers are you guys running? Was wondering if under the car cooler would cool ok?

They cool fine. In my first car, I went with a cooler that was rated for a mid size car. Got it at the auto parts store. I made my own brackets and installed it. I never had a problem.

If your radiator has a cooler I would run it through it this way it will build up some opperating temp and not run cold all the time. Just my opinion. Joe

joes23t said:
If your radiator has a cooler I would run it through it this way it will build up some opperating temp and not run cold all the time. Just my opinion. Joe
hehe well my friend the trans runs a lot hotter than the engine, as it is made to... any cooler in a radiator is a bad idea, even if it is factory, on a regular car, that can haul 6 people and pull a house trailer up hill in the heat of Summer, now that NEEDS a external fan cooled cooler, that is from my trans Man, and He knows his stuff... I would never want to heat up my radiator water, my engine does a good enough job all by itself:) Now you can use one for a car heater if you like, because they run so hot, makes a great heater.

I won't use the one in the Rad anymore. I built a motor and tranny for my 75 Chevy truck along with new Rad. The cooler some how got a leak and mixed water and tranny fluid. I was wondering how water kept getting in the tranny and that is the only way. For now tranny cooler seperate.

I'm using the cooler in the radiator. It is working great so far.

I installed a trans temp guage just to see what was actually going on. The temp in the trans pan has never been over 160 degreees and I'm running a slightly loose converter.

My radiator is an aluminum Ron Davis unit and it keeps the engine cool in spite of extended idling periods. The air temp hasen't been high(about 80), but I don't think engine temp is going to be a problem even in summer, since the car hasn't even tried to get hot.

The lower portion of the radiator(where the trans cooler is) is the coolest part. If the engine is at a safe temp, then the trans is cooler by 15-20 degrees. If your engine is running over 200 degrees or you're running a high stall converter, then an external cooler is probably needed.

Thousands of stockers that weigh 2-3 times what these T's weigh, go 100,000+ miles with nothing but a radiator cooler.

My 2 cents.

Mike

HAceT said:
The cooler some how got a leak and mixed water and tranny fluid.

Now that is a good point and something to consider.

I've personally never had that happen, but it would be interesting to know how often it occurs.

Mike

I'm running a 2800 stall converter and a TCI street/strip TH350 in my T. The first two seasons I ran one of these...

91023112~3_R.jpg

After the first season I became concerned about tranny heat, so I installed a temp gauge in the tranny pan. On a typical 90* summer day driving in stop & go city traffic, trans temp was getting close to 240*, which TCI sez is too high...

trans_life_expectancy.jpg

So I changed to one of these...

der-15950_w.jpg

Temp stays below 200* even in the worst conditions.

Thanks Lee. I figured the same thing, Our trucks at work have hydraulic tool hookups and the trucks were designed around the northern region and down here in Texas heat we blow alot of seals

I'm in the DFW area and I'm using a small cooler like this mounted on the frame rail under the body. I have a 3200 stall in TCI trans and have had No problems at all.

771-1003.jpg

boy, i don't know if i would want to run without one. i like to use a cooler outside the radiator. i've seen the TCI chart before...impressive enough for me to use something either inside or out of the radiator.

Ron

It only seems like good insurance to run some type of transmission cooler. After all, what does a good transmission cost to rebuild after you smoke it? Lots of choices and price ranges to fit any power level and physical size requirements. And yes, Chevy did have some years of air cooled powerglides. They had several large holes in the bell housing to let converter heat escape. They also quit building them. That should be warning enough. Sometimes cheap is not to ones best advantage. Put a cooler on your investment otherwise put a clutch in it! Now that's smart insurance.

George

I too, believe in using a cooler. Even a simple, inexpensive one like the one I used.

IMG_0652.jpg

Jim

I use a 18" long radial fin cooler from Summit. The cooler in the radiator is NOT a cooler. It is to keep the trans fluid at operating temps in cold weather. And since I live in Texas that is of no use to me.

Hotrod46 said:
Now that is a good point and something to consider.

I've personally never had that happen, but it would be interesting to know how often it occurs.

Mike

Yeah that was a new one on me. I've never had that problem before and I didn't notice till one day I saw a leak at the trans dipstick tube. I figured the o ring went bad. I pulled the dipstick and noticed what looked like strawberry milk. I was puzzled. I drained the tranny and put fresh in. About a week later I checked the fluid level and again strawberry milk. I sat there like a bump on the log asking how the heck is water getting into a sealed system. One so called "mechanic" told me that the back freeze plug went bad. :eek: This guy calls himself a mechanic.....hello.....
I then removed the line from the rad and plugged them into a cooler and no more problem. And the bad part is that was a new Rad too.

Freeze plug went bad.....good grief man stop working on cars.

Most Frequently Asked Transmission and Torque Converter Questions
  1. Should I use an external transmission cooler in conjunction with the oil cooler supplied in the radiator?
Should I use an external transmission cooler in conjunction with the oil cooler supplied in the radiator?
Answer: Unless operating in an environment where the outside temperature is below 0F, you should cap off the radiator cooler line openings and run your cooler lines directly to a new cooler mounted in front of the radiator. This allows the transmission to have its own cooling system and doesn't allow the engine water temperature to heat the fluid.

This was the response from the TCI tran site I stand corrected. Joe

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back