Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Transmission Dipstick

saltgrassdrifter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I plan on buying a lokar dipstick and was thinking of going with the shorty type.I didn't want the long one because I rather not mount it to the firewall.But now that I have my headers on the short one seems as if it would be hard to check with hot headers.Has anyone used a short type with a spirit body and sprint type headers on 350/TH350.Thanks Steve

I have the long one. You should try the short one and get one of those wonderful t bucket tattoos(header burn).

Saltgrass i have one of the short ones i couldnt use Its a knockoff but a nice one.If you will donate 20.00 to the forum you can have it. shipping should be only 5 or 6 bucks.

I had the short Lokar and it was a biatch to get at, so I changed to the longer one and mounted the bracket on the back of the cylinder head so that the knob of the dipstick is directly behind the valve cover. Much easier to get at, and I think it looks better. I'll try to remember to get a pic when I get home tonight.

I have the short Lokar mounted on a tranny-motor bolt. And sprint headers, and it is close. But I use long welder-type gloves and proceed like I am defusing an IED and never got burned.

I have the same setup and just put on a long sleeve sweat shirt when checking the fluid.
Jeff

I made a small polished aluminum tab that mounts on the back of the intake manifold and receives the Lokar tranny dipstick. It works great and no burning of the hands.

DSCF0435.jpg

I made a small polished aluminum tab that mounts on the back of the intake manifold and receives the Lokar tranny dipstick. It works great and no burning of the hands.

DSCF0435.jpg

Hi
I dont know if this helps but my good friend owns a trans shop and says the fluid will NOT EVER get lower unless there is a leak. It does NOT burn off or get used up. Most modern trans do NOT have a dip stick.
Also if you want to put a bit of work in do what the newer cars do and put one in the side of the gearbox that you fill and level check through. Its not that idfficult to work out from the original dip stick where the level should be

Being a mechanic the new ones without a dipstick SUCK. On the chevys you pull a side plug with it running then add till it runs out.You have to reach up there with it running and put the plug back in. Because regular level with engine off is higher than when they want i checked. Dodge will sell you a dipstick to check theirs they put a tube in with a plug.
ASM-CRY933.jpg
Can you believe they want 42 bucks for this.

Thanks for all the information on the dipstick.I think that I'll go with a long one and mount it to the head.I didn't even think about doing it that way. Thanks Steve

Hi Bob. A funny story. Last Sunday my son and i came out of Costco and there's a couple of guys checking out the T-Bucket. I answer the usual questions for Guy Number One. Guy Number Two ask "Where's the brake pedal?" I point to the brake pedal and say "Right there". He gets this funny look on his face, points to the shifter and says "It's not a stick?". "Nope. I just chopped down the shifter handle and welded it on to the shifter linkage". I guess the chopped down Mr. Gasket handle, dice shifter knob and old Hurst shifter boot had him fooled.

That's because your car is deformed. It has three pedals.

I love this. Its a great comment.

Here in the UK we have not gone to those Autamtic transmisionsn quite Yet. It seems silly to have a car change gear for you when all you have to do is
1. Lift off the throttle
2. Press down the clutch.
3. Move the gear stick (for the gals out there that the pocky up thing you hang your handbag on)
4. Let the clutch back out.............. but in a controlled manner
5. Reapply the throttle in a smoooth but determined way
6. Now repeat this every few hundred yards

Now the auto method.

1. Press throttle
2. relax and enjoy the scenery
3 Brake when you need to.

gerry

God dont you just love technology

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back