Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tube Frame Ideas.

OptimusPrime

I've been kicking this around in my head an think its the way im headed just because it's different, any way here are some excamples of what i might try as for a frame for my T project. Please make any and all comment that you wish i know some will hate them some will like them an some it just dont matter but i have the time so why not. I hope my file transfers

I can't get my file to upload I think it might be to big. Any ideas on how to shrink it, I compressed it but it still won't load. It may be this pos computer. I will try to explain my idea anyway. The first frame rail "A" was just a normal tube type with the normal supports, the second "B" was the same tube rail but with an outer layer of steel not to thick but substanital enough to mount to, taking consideration on where the support bars are had round holes made to look like it was a drilled tube. Rail "c" still same exoskeloton has elongated holes. and rail "D" has solid panel cover with flames which will be plasma cut these panels can be either fixed or removeable depending on preference, All the afore mentioned rails are of 1 1/2 " tubing not square tube. I know some will say that it may look bad but I think with some thought it might come off looking pretty smooth if done correctly. Anyway thats my two cents give me some thoughts on the subject good or bad.

I don't know if this is anything like what you have in mind or not. This is from an old Gene Scott Boss T catalog.

BossTTubeFrame.jpg

I think that Dragmaster also made a round tube frame for buckets.

Thats very similar to what I am describing, with the exception of covering the tube with light to med guage steel thanks Gab

Meangreen. Can you post the pictures here or on Photobucket? I'm already a member of too many forums and I don't want to have to join another to see your photos.

der Spieler said:
Meangreen. Can you post the pictures here or on Photobucket? I'm already a member of too many forums and I don't want to have to join another to see your photos.

If you are building a car, it would behoove you to join that forum along with this one... Two of the best! Anyway, I can't upload anything to this site. I guess there's a limit on how much we can have and I must be too close to the limit..? If you'll tell me how to use photobucket, I'll try...

meangreen said:
If you are building a car, it would behoove you to join that forum along with this one... Two of the best! Anyway, I can't upload anything to this site. I guess there's a limit on how much we can have and I must be too close to the limit..? If you'll tell me how to use photobucket, I'll try...

Just go to http://photobucket.com and click on the 'Join Now' button. After you register it's simple and it's free.

OK, I just discovered I can post an album on here. Don't know why I hadn't figured that out before (DUH!:please:), but I just put up a new album. Click on "Community" above, then "Pictures & Albums", and look for Meangreen's Track-T.:D (Pictures are in reverse order; start at the bottom of last page...)

Jim

I've spent the last 20 minutes looking and I can't find a "Community" link. It will probably make itself known as soon as I post this but in case it doesn't please direct me.

Nope. It's staying pretty well hidden. Wait a minute. I found it. I was using a smoothred layout style and "community" doesn't show up there. I switched back to the default layout and it showed up.

I found the "community" a while back but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to post any pictures in an album. That really does not surprise a computer illiterate guy like myself though. These things are not very intuitive for a guy like me.

As for Meangreen's new album, you have hit another home run Jim! That is one sweet looking ride. I hope to see it at one of the cruises in Titusville this summer.

Jim

That's weird... At the top of my screen, as I'm typing this, there is the "T-Bucket Forums" banner, then a band of information about what thread I'm on at the left and my info at the right. Right under that is a narrow light gray band with maroon lettering that says: "Portal" "vBPicGallery" "Community" "New Posts" "Search" "Quick Links" "Log Out" . Do you not have that band? It appears on almost every screen of this website on my computer...

OK, now that I have discovered the album I can post an update every once in a while when there's something worth showing.

Thanks, Jim. You'll definitely see it when it's done; I'll be making the rounds with it. I have been thrashing on it in hopes of driving it to Billetproof in March, but that possibility grows slimmer by the day. There's still an awful lot to do...:welcome:

meangreen said:
That's weird... At the top of my screen, as I'm typing this, there is the "T-Bucket Forums" banner, then a band of information about what thread I'm on at the left and my info at the right. Right under that is a narrow light gray band with maroon lettering that says: "Portal" "vBPicGallery" "Community" "New Posts" "Search" "Quick Links" "Log Out" . Do you not have that band? It appears on almost every screen of this website on my computer...

OK, now that I have discovered the album I can post an update every once in a while when there's something worth showing.

Thanks, Jim. You'll definitely see it when it's done; I'll be making the rounds with it. I have been thrashing on it in hopes of driving it to Billetproof in March, but that possibility grows slimmer by the day. There's still an awful lot to do...:welcome:

If you scroll down to the bottom tool bar at the very bottom of the page you will see a drop down menu that probably says "Default Style" on your computer, click on the menu and select "smoothred". "Community" will disappear from the toolbar at the top. I was using the "smoothred" style so I didn't have the "community" option displayed because it apparently isn't available with that option selected.

Thats a pretty awsome track t you have Meangreen, what size tube did you use for your rails?

OptimusPrime said:
Thats a pretty awsome track t you have Meangreen, what size tube did you use for your rails?

The frame is styled somewhat after a dragster model I built 40+ years ago and is built from black iron gas/well pipe bought at Lowe's. The top (main) rails are 1 1/4 inch pipe (1 5/8" o.d.). The bottom rails are 3/4 inch pipe (1" o.d.). The vertical and diagonal bridgework is 1/2 inch pipe (3/4" o.d.). The different size tubings give it an interesting look and nice proportions.

In case anyone is wondering, black iron pipe is made of mild steel, has a fairly heavy wall thickness, and welds beautifully. The black coating on it is a varnish-based rust preventative. When welded, the coating burns away completely and does not contaminate the weld like galvanizing does.

I have used black iron in the past for things like crossmembers and radius rods, but all the frames I have built (18 or 19 at last count) were from either rectangular tubing or steel channel. This time I decided I wanted to do something different, so I built the entire frame from round tubing. It's certainly a lot more labor-intensive than rectangular tubing or steel channel, but I like the look...:welcome:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back