Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tube Frame Track T

Thanks, guilld. Yeah, I try to use as much salvage yard stuff as possible. When I got involved in building hot rods (late 1960s) there wasn't a lot of pre-fab aftermarket stuff available and you had to make do by modifying existing parts and fabricating your own brackets, suspension components, etc. I found out I had a knack for it and I still enjoy doing things that way.:cool: If you followed my build on Club Hotrod and kept count, there are parts from 12 different vehicles in the roadster, not counting the home-built frame and the fiberglass body. My '31 Ford coupe holds my personal record, though; it has parts from 32 different vehicles!:confused:

Thanks, guilld. Yeah, I try to use as much salvage yard stuff as possible. When I got involved in building hot rods (late 1960s) there wasn't a lot of pre-fab aftermarket stuff available and you had to make do by modifying existing parts and fabricating your own brackets, suspension components, etc. I found out I had a knack for it and I still enjoy doing things that way.:cool: If you followed my build on Club Hotrod and kept count, there are parts from 12 different vehicles in the roadster, not counting the home-built frame and the fiberglass body. My '31 Ford coupe holds my personal record, though; it has parts from 32 different vehicles!:confused:

And I might add that the '31 Coupe is one fine piece of work. Excellent craftsmanship!

Jim

Thank you, Jim. That means a lot coming from you; your roadster is a study of neatness and detail. It's a true work of art from end to end and top to bottom.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I finally got around to adding the numbers and lettering to the roadster. My wife was saying I should leave it alone and my son was telling me to go for it.:confused: I vacillated for a while, but finally decided I had nothing to lose but a little time and a few feet of sign vinyl (I have my own plotter-cutter). I found some engine-turned gold vinyl online that closely replicates the swirled gold leaf that was popular on old race cars. Now that it's done I think it is the finishing touch that it needed (and my wife likes it after all). The 94 is my old stock car number and is the number I also run on my Electrathon race car.:cool:

100_1941a.jpg 100_1942a.jpg

I finally got around to adding the numbers and lettering to the roadster. My wife was saying I should leave it alone and my son was telling me to go for it.:confused: I vacillated for a while, but finally decided I had nothing to lose but a little time and a few feet of sign vinyl (I have my own plotter-cutter). I found some engine-turned gold vinyl online that closely replicates the swirled gold leaf that was popular on old race cars. Now that it's done I think it is the finishing touch that it needed (and my wife likes it after all). The 94 is my old stock car number and is the number I also run on my Electrathon race car.:cool:

View attachment 10318 View attachment 10319

Definitely the finishing touch! Maybe I'll get to see it in person one of these days.

Jim

It looks great! And I'm a sign/lettering designer of 30+years who believes less is more.

Great build thread!! I am an old sprint car racer myself and love your build! You nailed this one as it is purely beautiful!

Thank you all for the compliments.

I grew up with a dad who loved racing and took me to the track frequently. Unfortunately, the track roadsters had all evolved into sprint cars by then, but I saw a lot of the old pictures of them and loved the style. I researched them for years and a few years ago Don Radbruch published a couple of pictorial history books about them. My car was what they called California style back then, but they were common in Indiana & Ohio's "Mutual Racing Association". I grew up in Indiana, so I tried to build what would have been a really top notch car back then. If you all like it then I think I was successful. Thanks again.:cool:

Looks great, and have the look off some off the rides built here in Sweden. They use Volvo parts, even sometimes the Volvo engine B20.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back