Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tunnel Port

railroad

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I pulled the Weiand (sp) single 4 intake off the 302 Ford in my T today. I had a GT cam and roller lifters to put in if the block was machined for it. When I got the intake off, it was a roller motor and doing some ruff measurements already had a GT cam, so I guess the motor is a 5.0 HO motor. I bought the T with no info on the engine, other than it was a 302. The reason for pulling the intake was to install a single 4 tunnel ram. I scavenged an oven and tried my hand at power coating. I worked on the intake some, due to the rough casting and still had a pretty rough finish. The powder coating doesn't do any filling. I have to find a vacuum fitting and a new carb fitting to finish it up. Had to make a new throttle cable bracket and added a flange to mount a tach on the back of the motor. Still have to wire it also. I promise to take a picture of the finished product. It's not flashy like some, but I am continually correcting and upgrading it. I am going to give up on the headers and buy some new ones soon.
Guys, I have 4 engines I pulled out of the woods and will probably end up scrapping them. Something I hate to do. I am trying to sell them for scrap price, but so far, no interest. If any of you guys can use any parts or the whole engines, I know Alabama is a long way from everywhere, I would really make a deal for you or your friend even. All the engines have been sitting uncovered in the woods for 20 years or more. There is a Ford 260, 400 Pontiac from a Grand Prix, a 302 short block, and a small flat head 4 cylinder with a cast on bell housing, has CWC cast on it. I don't know what kind of demand there is on Pontiac stuff, the 4 cyl is cute, the 260, maybe I can find a Mustang club and give it to them. The 302 might go in the shed. I just hate to scrap stuff.

Here a couple of pics of the tunnel ram and tach installed. Fired it up, everything went good. Haven't driven it yet.

Attachments

• DSCN2182.JPG
    DSCN2182.JPG
    292.8 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCN2183.JPG
    DSCN2183.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 175
  • DSCN2184.JPG
    DSCN2184.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 105
That looks great. The powder coat should make cleaning easier. Too bad you can't hide that ugly yellow coil under the dash or something.

Ron

Looks like the master cylinder ends up holding that left valve cover hostage. Would there be room to get a standard-height cover on and off, or are you running s stud girdle?

No stud girdle, just tall valve covers. I am sure the stock height covers will work. I have a set of the cast alum factory ones I am just itching to clean up and power coat. I have a buffing wheel, but I think the powder coating will be less maintenance. I think the motor is too high also. The mounts sit about 2 1/2 inches above the frame rail. The drive line is so smooth running, I am hesitant to change it. I've got to do something with the looks of the master cylinder, had a leak at one time and bubbled the paint on the firewall and cylinder is rusty.

That looks great. The powder coat should make cleaning easier. Too bad you can't hide that ugly yellow coil under the dash or something.

Ron
I did not realize how out of place it looked until I looked at the pics. I think a nice little chrome one would look at lot better and more in character. I have a carb fuel line fitting ordered also to get rid of the bent tube. Thanks for the compliment.

My patriot headers, chrome coil, and banjo carb fitting arrived. The turn downs for the pipes are back ordered. Got the coated ones. When you order them they read the riot act on overheating them, cya. Mallory Coil was for breaker points only. Summit sent the UPS man by today to pick up for free, since the ad said universal fit. Did a swap with a MSD. Summit really did me good. No trip to town and paying for return shipping. I ordered the pipes from Speedway. Got a 6.99 shipping fee. I think I am going to have to check my fuel pressure, a lot of black inside the old pipes. Starts and runs good with stock insides on a Holley 1850. I'll put a gauge on it soon. I'm happy, just wanted to share the good. Oh yeah, found a set of Edel valve covers they gave me for buying a set of heads. I had them set back, with no plans to use them. I may sneak those tall ones from under the master cylinder and see how they look. Going to be a lot of shine.

lookin pritty snazzy! too bad Alabama is so far away. Pontiacs are a speciality around here (see the avatar).

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back