Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Way too much time on my hands

der Spieler

A few weeks ago I submitted a post extolling the quality of people who are members of this forum, a view I still hold as true. In that post I mentioned a forum where I had posted a question that is still waiting for a response. As of now there have been 96 views and zero replies. I decided to create a formula to determine the "Prick Quotient" for scoring forums and post that number with my signature block in each forum, i.e. PQ 15.6. I only apply this number to technical posts. I do not count gee whiz posts in the lounges.

I created a spread sheet that divides the number of views by the number of replies, subtracts 10% from that number giving me the PQ. The 10% figure is an arbitrary number based on my assumption that 10% of all views are by people who are just passing through, are lurkers or are basically clueless. I figure that 90% of all viewers have some general knowledge of the subject and could offer some worthwhile information but are either too lazy or just don't give a s@#&.

My question is: Is the 10% figure too low? Am I being too severe in my evaluation of the forum users? Would 25%, or somewhere in between, be a better, more realistic number?

P.S. I will be posting a PQ for this posting (LOL) so please respond.

You passed with flying colors and renewed my faith in mankind.

This site would be in negative numbers on you scale. Which would be a positive thing, right?

Correct. The lower the score the better the site.

A little background. I posted a question on one of the VW forums. To date there are 96 views and no replies. Someone could have answered my question but apparently couldn't be bothered to respond. On a couple of other VW forums I posted some questions and got responses but not to what I had asked. That's okay. At least they took the time to spend their two cents and say something.

If a person has a technical question it should get a response. If someone here has a problem his questions are addressed by the membership in nano-seconds. If the problem isn't solved at least the poster can be assured of being pointed in the right direction to get the answer.

To reiterate what I said a few weeks ago. This is the most active and helpful forum I have ever seen or been a member of. (Everyone pat yourselves on the back.)

i am man of few words but i read all of the posts and help when i can. and i think we have a good thing going here and we neet to keep it that way :rock:

You are right this is a great site. On the technical question thing a lot can play into getting an answer. A lot will depend on what you ask. Some questions ask are more of an opinion type things. If I paint my car green will it look good. Well I don't care for green myself. So I would just not reply. If it were a specific question: whats the bore on a 350 Chevy then I would answer 4". And just go on. You would not want me answering questions about paint or upholstery. I read all those posts, but I am there trying to learn something myself.

Also you don't want to get bad info, that could be worse than no info. What does a rod bolt torque to? Someone answers 150 ftlbs. Well you are in for a bad day unless you are working on a N-14 Cummins.

The color you paint your car probably wouldn't get a response from me. Color choices are personal and I'm not going to tell you that I think you are making a mistake if you paint it a color I don't like. However if the question of how to apply the paint is asked and I feel I have something to offer I will. Otherwise I will watch the thread and try to learn something new. I don't read all of the posts. Most of the time I'm looking to gain knowledge so I go to posts that might teach me something first. From there I pick and choose the ones that I think I might find interesting.

10% may be kind of low. I.E. as of right now there is somewhere in the neighborhood of 58% are visitors (11 members and 15 visitors) and they can't post. Granted some of the visitors maybe spiders or such. Anyway....this is a great board just purely by the quality of the membership, and I hope it stays this way for a long time. I may only post once in 3 days and it's usually a question, but that just because I am far inferior of the others on here when it comes to T-Buckets, so I guess I am sorta a lurker too.

i agree with what RPM and you said. i read nearly ever post and answer the ones where i can help. you won't find me answering specific questions on engine building because there are those more qualified on here than i. if there's a question about chassis', then i'll answer if i think i can help, otherwise i'll watch and learn like everyone else. sometimes posts seem to fall in a dark hole somewhere. if i find them days after they are put up, i will answer.

Ron

Hmmmm.....

I bought a tee shirt and a hat, AND donated funds twice, so I know I'm a contributing member who supports the site and is concerned for its well being.

I love reading the super informative threads on this forum by some of the smartest people on the subject. But as a general rule, I will not reply unless I think someone is going to hurt themselves or somehow what someone has asked gets my attention.

Why? I haven't had a chance to really start my project, so I'm just a dreamer... pretender... lurker... If it's something not related to machining, I don't really know what to say. I can't be the only one like this.

David

I too is new to the T world but I also try to respond in some way or another. I gave up posting on the other site since it seemed to of died or is the process of doing so. I have always enjoyed this site and will for along time. There is so much past great tech articles I can't read them all in time.

Please excuse my ignorance, but how do you know how many times your post has been viewed? I don't seem to be able to see any number that would indicate that.

I like this sight because of the Quality of the answer's to the question's not the Quantity ,,It is a RARE place with out the clueless BS'ers ,and that my friends is priceless !!! that's my 2 cents

If you click on Lounge (or Introductions or whatever section you want) and scroll down to the thread you want the far right column will give the number of views. The column second from the right shows the number of replies.

der Spieler,

Post your VW question here. I'm not an expert but dabble in VW stuff plus have a few good VW contacts. Might be able to help.

Bruce

EX JUNK said:
Please excuse my ignorance, but how do you know how many times your post has been viewed? I don't seem to be able to see any number that would indicate that.

In the top blue bar there is "new posts". I am set up so when I open the web site it automatily goes to new posts. To the right then it tells about replies and views. I check in at this site about 20 times a day. I have a lot of free time at my day job. :rofl:

I would have to agree with what the overall response here is. I read posts, but do not respond unless I feel I can be helpful. Most of the time the real experts have already answered and I could have not said it better. However, there are times that if I get to it first i feel obligated to submit a response ASAP. When I need help with something I need it soon and I really appreciate quick responses so I try to do the same if I can.

engine24355 said:
I would have to agree with what the overall response here is. I read posts, but do not respond unless I feel I can be helpful. Most of the time the real experts have already answered and I could have not said it better. However, there are times that if I get to it first i feel obligated to submit a response ASAP. When I need help with something I need it soon and I really appreciate quick responses so I try to do the same if I can.

That's pretty much how I do it.

I'm sending you a PM on something unrelated.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back