Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Well, wasn't that painful

You're probably right, Mike - fear. A huge proportion of computer users are like me - we use the computer to communicate online and surf the 'net, maybe play some games, but when it comes to truly understanding the machine we're lost. Half of the stuff you talk about above might as well be in Greek or Swahili because it would make just as much sense. I can turn this thing "on" and do what I need to do as long as it's functioning properly, but when it's time to troubleshoot a problem or install a program it's time to call somebody. Yes, I can stuff a CD into the drive and load a program... as long as it does it automatically, but if it requires more than answering a few "yes or no" questions I'll need help.:confused: I wish you lived nearby because I would hire you to update my computers and re-teach me to use them...

Incidentally, my old laptop died back in October, so I bought a new one. It came with Windows 8 - what a piece of $#1t program!! It took an act of congress to get the stupid program to accept my e-mail and it will not open any of my old Word documents unless I buy the newest version... for $99 per year!:mad: We used to install Office and it was good for the life of the computer; now it will need to be purchased yearly. That's just BS! Does Linux have something similar to Office and will it open my old documents? What about photos? If so, I'm going to hunt for someone who can load Linux for me...:thumbsup:

Last things first. Never, ever, never buy another copy of Microsoft Office, ever again. There is a free and open-source office suite that will open, edit and save Office documents. Download LibreOffice. I don't care what kind of a document you prepare in Microsoft Office, I can view it, I can edit it and I can save it (in MS Office formats, no less!) with LibreOffice. You will find that LibreOffice programs even look a bit like their Microsoft counterparts.

Actually, I think if more people would start using open-source software, even on their Windows and Apple computers, they would begin to see the beauty behind Linux. Microsoft's Internet Explorer and Apple's Safari browser are both good for one thing. To download Mozilla Firefox. Don't run Outlook, run Mozilla Thunderbird. Don't spend the exorbitant price for Microsoft Office, use LibreOffice. If people start using this kind of software, they suddenly have the hoodwink removed, and they can see there is really no reason to pay outlandish prices for software, when you can get better software at no cost.

Yes, you are right, Win 8 is a piece of shite. And Win 8.1 isn't exactly winning people back to Windows, either. Win 8 was released in October 2012 and it has always been Microsoft's plan to herald a version for 5 years, before replacing it. Win 9, a.k.a. 'Threshold', might be released yet before the end of 2014. Microsoft knows they pumped the poodle with Win 8.

As for not knowing anything about computers, let me remind you of something. Were you born with all the mechanical ability and understanding to build a T-Bucket? Or did you learn things along the way? Could you rebuild a carb, without ever having seen it done and without any instruction? For that matter, how many of us got the instruction manual when we took our children home from the hospital, after they were born?

I knew nothing at all about Linux, prior to April 2007. And I mean nothing. I kid you not, when I say I had heard someone mention Linux, so I Googled it. Back then, Ubuntu was very popular, so I saw a lot of search returns for Ubuntu and that is the first Linux distribution I ever used. Although I knew naught about Linux, what I did know was that Windows was not a safe, or a stable operating system and I wanted away from it. So I started reading, then I started trying. Heck, here I am 7 years later and look what I am going through, even today. I have found the best Linux distribution I have ever seen, in Antergos. On one machine, I have installed a 32 bit version, removed it for a 64 bit version, and then removed it for a 32 bit version, that took me four attempts to get installed. I've spent the last two weeks trying to figure out how to get my iMac to at least load Antergos, just so I can try to get it installed. So, you see, even after 7 years, I still get my backside handed to me. But I know I cannot permanently break anything. Lord only knows I can bork things up with the best of them, but the next time certainly won't be the first time, and it darn sure won't be the last. You have no idea what computer fear is like, until you switch a computer on and get naught but a cursor flashing on a black screen. That will sit you right up in your chair, believe me.

The old boy always used to say that fear is a terrible thing, because we allow fear of things we know naught about to cripple us, and to keep us from learning and moving forward. What is to be afraid of, when it comes to installing an operating system? Somebody already installed the operating system you've been using, so why can't you learn to do the same thing? The answer is that you can, just as soon as you take one step beyond the fear.

Go get yourself a copy of LibreOffice and enjoy being free to make your own choices, without Bill Gates telling you what to do. :thumbsup:

An option for you XP users had completely slipped my mind. If you absolutely, positively need to run XP, then run it as a virtual machine, inside Linux. You would need to remember not to allow the VM to have Internet access, because it would still be vulnerable, but you could use XP to run whatever You programs you still want to use.

Oracle's VirtualBox can accomplish this, rather easily, but it would not work very well on a machine that has 1 GB of memory. Since you end up running one operating system inside another operating system, 2 GB of RAM can still be pretty minimal. But on a machine with VirutalBox, it is just as simple as lighting it up and waiting for the second operating system to start. You would have a window open up on your machine that would have XP running inside.

Installing VirualBox on Linux is a pretty straightforward task, at least on most Linux distros.. The only real downside is that you have to invest the time to install Windows to the VM, which takes a lot of time. Personally, I would prefer to resize the Windows partition to make some free space, then install Linux alongside Windows, in a dual-boot configuration. That would leave all the Windows programs intact within the Windows partition and then save you a considerable amount of time, by just installing Linux. I had Win 7 installed in a VM at one time, a few years back, but realized I had no use for Windows, so I removed VirtualBox, to free up the space on the hard drive.

Dual-boot is a very easy way to transition from Windows to Linux. Play with Linux when there is time, use Windows for the rest, but eventually you will find that you are using Linux for everything.

OK so we have a nice puter with Windows XP how do you go about installing Linux, on a dual boot. So that both systems can be run. In layman's terms now guys. I am sure I am not the only one that would like to switch out, but does not know how.

OK so we have a nice puter with Windows XP how do you go about installing Linux, on a dual boot. So that both systems can be run. In layman's terms now guys. I am sure I am not the only one that would like to switch out, but does not know how.

Ron,

I have that very same setup and it solves a lot of problems for me. My son set it up and I'm not home but here is basically what he did. He partitioned the hard drive and kept XP on one section. Then he just loaded Linux on the other section. When I boot up the computer it will ask me which operating system I want to open. I can access the main hard drive from either system. I can't just jump back and forth between systems without closing one and booting up the other but I can live with that. I am going to convert my other laptop to a Windows 7 system just for some cad programs that I use. Once I'm satisfied with that I will duplicate that computer with a second clone. One for the house and one for the shop. I can then take my work home on a flash drive each day. Hopefully someone will come here and give you the secret handshake and instructions as to actually carrying out this electronic miracle. Take care.

George

George

I'm running XP on my netbook. It has Norton 360 anti virus program installed. Is that enough protection when I am connected to the internet?

All this computer stuff is a mystery to me and I'm sure others feel the same way. You pick up little bits and pieces of information here and there and that makes you think you know something about computers until something like the XP thing comes along. Then you feel like an idiot.

Bill

Here is a link to Mike's instructions concerning installing Linux Mint along with an existing installation of Windows.

http://tbucketeers.com/threads/inst...-boot-of-windows-and-linux.12956/#post-136784

Mint is now up to version 16, and 17 will becoming out in about a month. The tutorial is for Mint 11, it is that old, but still should work just fine. The secret here is to ASK QUESTIONS. For every one person who has the courage to ask about this or that there are 10 others who are glad he did because they wanted to know the same thing. None of us were born knowing this stuff, so ask, and if you don't understand some part or parts of the answer ask again. And again, and again. A year from now you will be happy you did. Ten years from now, when you have NOT spent $1000 on Windows upgrades, and NOT had to fight internet viruses, and NOT had to buy updates for Microsoft Office three times, you will be even happier.

As an example of how easy using Mint can be, I put it as a dual-boot on my wife's computer and loaded it as the ONLY operating system on my Mother-in-law's computer. They both just started using it and never looked back.

Last edited:
@RPM, if you just take the time to read the instructions 409T linked, you will have a dual-boot set up. And it will work. It works every time.

The bottom line is that all of you are smarter than you give yourselves credit for being. Let's face it, there are hundreds of thousands of guys who cannot change their own oil, change a tire, or change a set of spark plugs. You are building your own vehicles, for Pete's sake. But you learned how to do all the things necessary to build that vehicle over a span of time. You weren't born with the knowledge to rebuild a carb, you watched, you read, you listened and you learned.

Computers are no different.

Now, I want you to pay attention to this - read those instructions from start to end. Made no sense to you, did they? That's to be expected. Read them again. OK, this time, you are a little less confused. Now, this time, read them again, but start poking around on your computer, looking at things. Ahhhh, made more sense this time, didn't it? Just keep reading, and each time you read through it, things will start making a little more sense.

Now. Go download a copy of Linux Mint. Follow the instructions I provided on how to burn that downloaded .iso to a DVD. Once you have finished with that, log out of Windows and re-start your computer. As the system starts to boot, select the option for the boot menu, which will likely require you to press the F12 key, as the machine is booting up. Select the option to boot from your optical (CD/DVD) drive and then sit back and relax, as Mint loads into memory. It will take a couple of minutes, so be patient.

Once it has finished loading, you will be running Linux Mint on your machine. Don't be scared, no changes have been made to anything, you are running the Linux Mint operating system from memory and from the DVD. It will be slow to respond to your requests, but that is why.

Click on the Menu option and look at the applications that are there. In the Internet sub-menu, click on Firefox. Give it a few seconds to load in from the DVD, but then spend some time surfing the Web. I always like to take that opportunity to visit YouTube and be sure you can play videos and hear sound.

Nothing you do is going to be saved, but it will allow you to see and 'feel' Linux. Hammer and bang around as you like, because you are not going to break anything.

If you get scared, tell Mint you want to re-start your computer and just let the machine boot itself back into Windows. See, it's all there, with nothing changed.

But now, the Freedom bug that lives within Linux has bitten you. When you feel comfortable, load Mint back up and play with it. Use Firefox within Mint to come to the forums. Log in, just as you normally would. And go read my dual-boot tutorial again. Amazing how it makes more sense than ever before, aye?

Ron, you have an advantage most of the others do not. If you have an immediate question, ring me up and I will answer your question. If others have questions, post them to the forums, enter a trouble ticket on the Help Desk, send me an e-mail. Contact 409T. Some of you others who are running Linux, put your hand up if you would like to help some of these Windows prisoners break their way into freedom.

@Neshkoro, were you an idiot before you first learned how to use a timing light? Heck no, you weren't. So you are not an idiot, just because you're still learning how computers and operating systems work.

Remember, everyone, the stupid question is the one that didn't get asked.

I always laugh when people call me a computer-expert. I am no expert, I've just spent some time trying to learn a bit about how these machines operate. But for those of you who still think I am some kind of guru with all the computer answers, why are you not listening to what I have been saying for years? Running Windows is a compromise, because your machine is always going to come under attack. Windows has this system called a Registry, that is easily compromised for all kinds of nefarious and malicious deeds. I don't care how much you are spending to subscribe to whatever anti-virus system you are running, your Windows machine is still vulnerable. And woe betide you XP users, because your machines are now more vulnerable than ever before.

O.K. , I'm not afraid to admit how incredibly computer illiterate I am [and I'm sure there's others] but when you start talking downloading to CD , operating system changes , booting, F12 , you may as well be talking gibberish. The language of the computer world is completely foreign to me, so give the less-versed among us a break ! Somehow I think we'll struggle on.
dave

Ron, I checked your profile, this morning. I see you've been logged into the forums, since last night's message. Did you get the computer problem sorted?

I've opened up a thread, here, for any of you that are looking closer at Linux as an XP (or any other operating system) replacement. If you have any questions, post them there.

For someone who wants to keep XP operational, converting the PC to dual-boot Linux provides only a very temporary solution. The first time such an owner buys new hardware - even just a printer or digital camera - they'll be unable to use it if the driver/software won't install under XP or Linux. That's what forced me to upgrade to XP when I did. The ONLY solution to this AFAIK is to have at least one machine running a version of Windows that's currently supported by Microsoft.

Jack

I'm running XP on my netbook. It has Norton 360 anti virus program installed. Is that enough protection when I am connected to the internet?

All this computer stuff is a mystery to me and I'm sure others feel the same way. You pick up little bits and pieces of information here and there and that makes you think you know something about computers until something like the XP thing comes along. Then you feel like an idiot.

Bill
We had Mcafee on ours and it got infected and is locked.

Ron, I checked your profile, this morning. I see you've been logged into the forums, since last night's message. Did you get the computer problem sorted?

I've opened up a thread, here, for any of you that are looking closer at Linux as an XP (or any other operating system) replacement. If you have any questions, post them there.
I can get online with the shop computer, or the I Pad. No I have a tech going to look at the office computer later today. When I get back from Ocala, I'll call you, about Linux. Thanks for your help.

I can get online with the shop computer, or the I Pad. No I have a tech going to look at the office computer later today. When I get back from Ocala, I'll call you, about Linux. Thanks for your help.

Ron,

I feel your pain. My solution has always been to find a teenager walking around with a blank expression on their face while staring at a small rectangular devise in one hand. They ain't a afraid of trying anything. Especially on your nickle.

George

All this stuff is a pain! Many of us were fat, dumb and happy until Microsoft announced that they were no longer supporting XP. And now it is a big FUBAR! Enter Linux and a whole new thing to learn. I guess we (should) never stop learning.

Sorry to hear you're having that problem, Ron. It's happened to me, and you can believe I know the grief it causes. None of the anti-virus programs I've used were 100%, so the simplest solution I know is to create frequent, incremental disc images. I do this about once every two weeks, but I would do it every day at the end of business if this was a company machine.

Hope you get up and running quickly.

Jack

OUCH! I hate when that happens. I wondered if I should have called you. I might have been able to save you a couple of dollars. Then again, it is not always so simple to diagnose problems over the phone.

All this stuff is a pain! Many of us were fat, dumb and happy until Microsoft announced that they were no longer supporting XP. And now it is a big FUBAR! Enter Linux and a whole new thing to learn. I guess we (should) never stop learning.
The way technology is moving forward, if you decide to not learn something today, you will be buried in the past. Without trying to make anyone feel badly, the end of XP support was not a sudden surprise. They announced this was going to happen, seven years ago.

The news isn't all bad, mind. If you want to install Linux on a system, you can handle it the very same way the majority of you handled Windows. Install it and forget it. Linux doesn't somehow hide your computer's power switch from you, or the keyboard, or the mouse. Everything works the same. Only better. You turn your computer on, it boots up an operating system, and it shows you a graphical user interface, so you can do the things you want to do. But it will do it faster than Windows. It will do it more securely than Windows. And it will do it more efficiently than Windows.

Making the decision to run something better than Windows really isn't the end of the world. It is merely the decision to run something better. And truly, the only thing/s to learn are a) how to install Linux, or b) how to take your machine to a shop or individual who will install Linux for you. Once Linux is installed, there really isn't much to learn. You will need to learn that programs to accomplish your tasks are free. You will need to learn that you no longer need virus protection. How hard is it to learn these things, and then learn to live with them?

None of the anti-virus programs I've used were 100%...
Whilst virus development has slowed down, somewhat, it is estimated there are still between 8 and 12 new viruses released, every day. And there is the problem with anti-virus schemes, because they are ineffective until their developers can see the new virus code and can develop measures against it. So, when you get that warm, fuzzy feeling, right after updating your anti-virus program, you need to remember that even if that code was hot off the press this morning, it is incapable of dealing with the viruses that have been released today.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back