Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

what should I offer for this?

Humidi-T

I was told to make an offer on a 71 chevelle this afternoon. Really good shape, no cancer around the back glass, but some in the rear fender wells. All doors and front sheetmetal is straight. Comes with 2 new quarter panels, all new glass, extra pair of doors, new front suspension components, all front sheetmetal is there but disassembled. new radiator, 502 block, needs to be align bored, new crank (never run), performance heads (rebuilt by a GOOD shop locally and never run) aluminum Muncie 4 speed.
Only has one front bucket seat, back seat needs to have the mice evicted, nothing else in the interior except for new dash and original gauges. and steering column,
what is it worth? The owner is moving out of his shop and needs the room. It was parked next to a 60's Chevelle, original car, real nice, an all race s-10 pickup umder construction, and another drag chevy.
What should I offer for it?

You didn't say if it was a factory big block car so I will go with no. That said if I put a # on it 5500.00 would be my max I would start around 4500, some good parts but a lot of work. And if you can't look at it and see 10,000 out of a finish car I would not buy it. If you do all the work your self you will put at lest that in it. good luck

speedkills502 said:
You didn't say if it was a factory big block car so I will go with no. That said if I put a # on it 5500.00 would be my max I would start around 4500, some good parts but a lot of work. And if you can't look at it and see 10,000 out of a finish car I would not buy it. If you do all the work your self you will put at lest that in it. good luck

He said the car is an original BB VIN but the block is not the original it's a 502 and so far as I know, they weren't made in 71. He really needs to get it out of the shop, and I'm 90% sure if I brought $2000 cash, he'd loan me his trailer and help me load it up with a smile on his face. The body has been off the frame, and the chassis is rebuilt, all new polyurethane rubber and bushings. bumpers and grille are in good shape. The interior metal is solid, no rust, has been blasted and epoxy coated inside and underneath and firewall. Trunk metal is all good, and the bottom of the back window has no cancer. The back fender lips and behind the tailights have minor cancer, but he is including the replacement quarters and the back panel. It has two extra doors, two hoods, but is missing one front seat and door panels. Lots and lots of work. I dunno.

From what I am hearing here, you have already decided to buy the car and are just trying to get us to convince you :rofl:

If you think $2000 will get you the car, well go for it. But if a $2000 offer will cause the person to tell you to "piss off" and sell it to someone else, then maybe its not such a good idea.

Sounds like a lot of money in parts sitting there I would probably set $5000 as the upper limit.

talked to the guy again today. He really wants to get rid of it. Again he told me to make him an offer. He said, "I'd rather it go to you than the junkyard, but I gotta get it out, soon."

Hmm. I might just have to find a place to stack a pile of parts for a while.

If he's looking to haul it off for scrap, it's time to sound him out for a price. Tell him you don't have much to spend and you are trying to get an idea of what it will take to keep it from being scrapped. He's not going to make 1K trying to scrap it, so don't go showing your hand just yet.

I don't care who is telling me how great parts and pieces are, they are always considered to be shot until these eyes see otherwise. Define a 'performance head' and them being 'rebuilt'. Is that a stock head someone has lapped the valves on, or an aftermarket head that has actually been done right?

Everyone that has seen the 130,000 mile 350 that has been 'rebuilt' by tossing in a fresh set of bearings and a new oil pump, raise your hands. :D

Seeing is believing, so gang wary and you might get yourself a real bargain.

I always hate when someone says make me an offer. It is his stuff he should know what he wants for it. Offer him $1000 and if he takes it call a rollback and haul it home.

You never know what a good machine shop will find wrong with that 502 block and crank. I have seen a lot of good parts not pass a magnaflux.

Mike said:
If he's looking to haul it off for scrap, it's time to sound him out for a price. Tell him you don't have much to spend and you are trying to get an idea of what it will take to keep it from being scrapped. He's not going to make 1K trying to scrap it, so don't go showing your hand just yet.

I don't care who is telling me how great parts and pieces are, they are always considered to be shot until these eyes see otherwise. Define a 'performance head' and them being 'rebuilt'. Is that a stock head someone has lapped the valves on, or an aftermarket head that has actually been done right?

Everyone that has seen the 130,000 mile 350 that has been 'rebuilt' by tossing in a fresh set of bearings and a new oil pump, raise your hands. :D

Seeing is believing, so gang wary and you might get yourself a real bargain.

Got it.
I'll make him an offer and see where it goes.

RPM said:
I always hate when someone says make me an offer. It is his stuff he should know what he wants for it. Offer him $1000 and if he takes it call a rollback and haul it home.

You never know what a good machine shop will find wrong with that 502 block and crank. I have seen a lot of good parts not pass a magnaflux.

Gonna make him an offer next week. Then scramble to find a place for it.

Update

I drug my feet on it, and talked to the guy this afternoon. He sold it for $4500. Found the right buyer.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back