Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

wheel base

adey

What is a good wheelbase for a stable ride, is there a measurement between the front and rear wheels which is better?
would a 105 inch be better than 102 inch.i am trying too work out what distance to make the axles apart on my chasis on a 23t bucket.

What is a good wheelbase for a stable ride, is there a measurement between the front and rear wheels which is better?
would a 105 inch be better than 102 inch.i am trying too work out what distance to make the axles apart on my chasis on a 23t bucket.

I don't think 2-3" will make much difference. A longer wheelbase will give a better ride, but also takes more room to turn.

Mine has a 98" wheelbase. It rides fairly decent and seems to be fairly stable on the freeway.

The best way to deturmin your wheel base is to mock up the componants and build your frame accordingly. Sometimes movin one of them an inch here or there can change the whole looks of the car. On a custom built frame I add 2''to the length of the front rails for ''adjustments. Personally I like to keep the back tires even with the bed.

Ron is right, the 2 0r 3 inches won't make much difference. But a 96" wheel base compaired to a 105" one will be noticable in handling. You will like the shorter wheelbase if most of your driving is city miles.

Ron

If you ever get the chance drive a bucket they do not steer that sharp due to the design of the front suspension. Longer wheelbase will really widen your turning radius.Find somebody on here near you they will show you the differences. We t bucket people stick together and watch out for each other making mistakes.

It depend on your steering stops.Also do you plan on doing alot of city driving like parking lots.This is where you could run into problems.Tire size ratio has alot to do with it if you have big rear tires like I do and want to steer them with littles this is another factor.Every bucket handles different when going some where it is like when I drove truck you just plan how to get in there.Sharp steering is one of the minor things about a bucket.

A 117 inch wheelbase is not to long , Spirit makes a 128 inch frame for their 27 with a spring behind front axle the w/b would probably be a bit longer.

Mine is 114" and I have no problem with U-turns. As Putz said, the steering geometry has a lot to do with it as well.

I have a friend that is building a T with 2 hemi's inline. His wheel base is in the 140's. We're waiting to see what his turning radius will be.

Jeff

Mine is 114" and I have no problem with U-turns. As Putz said, the steering geometry has a lot to do with it as well.

I have a friend that is building a T with 2 hemi's inline. His wheel base is in the 140's. We're waiting to see what his turning radius will be.

Jeff
2 Hemis inline ???!!! Pictures?

I have a friend that is building a T with 2 hemi's inline.

2 hemi's?

MotherOfGod-02.jpg

Turning sharp all depends on width of the axle and or radius rods where the tires hit at full turn... This is why I build a 54 inch tube axle... If you are starting from scratch, mock up the axle with the wheels and tires you want to use, turn the wheels as far as they will go, now make sure they do not hit either the drag link or the radius rods, by mounting then closer to the frame (not as wide on the axle, or bend the radius rods to clear if already mounted) By the way, there is nothing wrong with 1"X.188 wall DOM tubing for either set of radius rods, ft. or rear... If you think you want or need more strength, weld in an extra bracket, mid way? to the radius rods, but this size (I have found)works great even with a strong Big block that hangs on tight, been there and done that.. :hoist: ride safe

Im sure nobody has any experience with a 96" wheelbase and an MII front end. Thats what mine will be and I sure do hope it rides and drives right.

Attachments

• yard 2.jpg
    yard 2.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 52
My wheelbase is right at !00" and drives fine.

I will be at 122" when I get'er done next year...... Hope I can make the tight turn in my driveway, but it that's all I have to worry about, things must be going quite well.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back