Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

where's your fuel filler located?

Northstar T

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I built my fuel tank today, and am having some trouble deciding what kind of filler to use and where to place it. unless the top of the fill tube was places up by the rear corner of the body, it seems like it would be a hassle to fill the tank without it burping out. I'm also concerned about it sloshing out of the cap if the cap is vented..... or do you use some other type of vent in the tank?
decisions, decisions.
387816436.jpg

Russ

Mine and most of the tanks I see it is right in the middle. A lot of them are filled with the cap sticking through the cover. This is a pic of one like Mine built by Ron.

9x9x31_tank.jpg

The cap we use has a one way vent, lets air in but fuel cannot get out. I would put the filler center of that tank so it can easily be reached from either side at the pump.

Perhaps I confused the one from RPM with someone elses? I thought it had some type of spring loaded flap that allowed you to just poke the fuel nozzle in to fill the tank without unscrewing a cap, and was flush mount. the one Putz is showing appears gto be a regular screw on cap.
Ron, so the vent you use in the cap is the only vent in the system? what happens on a hot day when things expand and builds presure? ....... perhaps I'm overthinking again :)

Russ

Perhaps I confused the one from RPM with someone elses? I thought it had some type of spring loaded flap that allowed you to just poke the fuel nozzle in to fill the tank without unscrewing a cap, and was flush mount. the one Putz is showing appears gto be a regular screw on cap.
Ron, so the vent you use in the cap is the only vent in the system? what happens on a hot day when things expand and builds presure? ....... perhaps I'm overthinking again :)

Russ

If you look at the center of the cap the fuel nozzle will fit right in there.

Thats a good ? Do they build up preasure with the heat? What about fuel slosh and picking up the fuel any problems with that?

I don't have any of these problems with Ron's tank.

Russ, You are totally correct about heated gas expansion, plus it can break a tank, split a seam, blow hoses off, cause a lot of different problems, just like a tank that won't let air IN, will collapse with no problem.. I said before, mine has a 1/8th plastic pipe plug, with a 1/32" hole in it, plus the T handled expansion rubber type cap, has a small V cut in the side for more breathing... If you keep the shinny side up, and do not over fill on hot Days, you should have no problems :)

I bought one of those caps and neck from Ron and they were great till one day the heat expansion in the tank forced a crap load of fuel in to carb bowl. Don't know how that happened but when I removed the cap and used one that fits a regular car with vent no more hassles. We had to do that on all 3 cars. Sorry Ron.....I still love your work though.

I have a Total tank, with the filler centered, but its moved all the way to one side to make room for the battery.

Becky529007.jpg

I used a flip top marine filler cap that I bought off of EBAY. There were lots for sale when I got mine. It doesn't have a vent, so sloshing gas isn't a problem. It's mounted in the center of the bed cover. Works good and is easy to get to. The down side is that it's not lockable.

Venting is handled with a race car type roll over vent valve from Speedway. It screws into a pipe fitting on the top of the tank (1/4" if memory serves me) and is wide open until the car gets on it's side or upside down, then it shuts off. A hose runs from the valve down under the car where it can get a "road draft" to help keep fumes out off the bed area. I did have to add a short piece of hard line with a loop in it to the vent hose to prevent a small amount of dripping. Apparently, a little gas was sloshing up throught the vent and dripping under the car. No problems now.

Mike

I bought one of those caps and neck from Ron and they were great till one day the heat expansion in the tank forced a crap load of fuel in to carb bowl. Don't know how that happened but when I removed the cap and used one that fits a regular car with vent no more hassles. We had to do that on all 3 cars. Sorry Ron.....I still love your work though.
You should have given me a call, as there is an o'ring to remove to make it vented. Also as you pointed out it will overcome the floats before the tank "will explode or blow a seem". All of out tanks are pressure tested at 10 PSI.

My vent is a NPT/AN adapter with a cap on it. Small hole in cap, and 2 chambers of steel wool separated by discs with small holes. Air can get in, but fuel won't come out.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back