Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Windshield mounting help

raidmagic

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
My brackets don't fit my body very well. It makes the brackets to wide for the windshield. What are my options? Cut and rebuild the brackets? Cut the body? I have this nice new windshield and no idea how to mount it. Any help would be great.

I've included 3 pictures. They show the fitment of the bracket to the body, don't mind the bolts they are for mock up, and how much the windshield misses by when it's tight to the other bracket.

windshieldproblem1.jpg

windshieldproblem.jpg

windshieldproblem2.jpg

What is the length of your windshield? I see the Mr. Roadster box on the floor and assume you got it from Speedway. It dose come in 3 lengths. Maybe think about returning it for a wider one.

Ron

What is the length of your windshield? I see the Mr. Roadster box on the floor and assume you got it from Speedway. It dose come in 3 lengths. Maybe think about returning it for a wider one.

Ron
Not an option, I bought it second hand from here.

Well darn that is no where near close. Do you know who made your original body? I know when I found out Jim had some brackets that fit my body I jumped right on them.

Well darn that is no where near close. Do you know who made your original body? I know when I found out Jim had some brackets that fit my body I jumped right on them.
Don't know, bought that used too. :smile: Looks like I'll be getting the welder out and making something...nothing is ever easy.

Well, did you first assemble the whole windshield? both posts attached to the frame (loose) and try fitting it to your body that way?? That is how I mount all my windshields... With some, the body may need a bit of grinding to make the posts fit, as you found out, all the bodies are not the same... If it needs to be wider (frame) you can make spacers to fit inside the posts, never try and weld on those posts, they are not weldable IMHO... Made with some real strange stuff, much easier to fit them to each body... I sometimes need to build a new corner for the posts to fit tight to... Inside the posts, drill holes in that whole area and use Tiger Hair to make the new corner, first tape the complete inside of the posts, so the class does not stick to the posts themselves, when the Tiger Hair has set up and before ROCK HARD, unbolt the posts from the frame and remove from your new corners... After completely dry and hard, sand to shape the rest of the body, the inside should fit nicely to the inside of the posts, now drill new mounting holes with the posts and frame bolted back together... I think the windshield frame is one of the hardest parts top get fitting correctly, but well worth any effort it takes, as it stands out like a sore thumb otherwise... a very sore thumb... I try and make it as square with the fire wall as possible Good luck, go slow and careful... :)

My brackets don't fit my body very well. It makes the brackets to wide for the windshield. What are my options? Cut and rebuild the brackets? Cut the body? I have this nice new windshield and no idea how to mount it. Any help would be great.

I've included 3 pictures. They show the fitment of the bracket to the body, don't mind the bolts they are for mock up, and how much the windshield misses by when it's tight to the other bracket.

windshieldproblem1.jpg

windshieldproblem.jpg

windshieldproblem2.jpg

Put you mounts on the body and then measure the width to the inside of the bracket. Make sure the bracket are at 90 degrees to the top of the cowl. Then look for a screen frame the right width or as close as you can get. Buy that and advertised the one you have. From the pics it looks like you are 3''+ short on the frame.

That is unless you want to FRENCH the brackets in... which could look cool but is a lot of work
gerry

From the overhead shot, it looks like your post isn't far enough forward. This is common on some bodies because they added a 1/4 to the cowl when they added the dash.

Making posts from scratch isn't hard to do. The windshield frame is 7/8 round tube. A short piece of 1" tube will give you the "saddle" for the frame. Center the frame on the cowl and use 10 or 12 ga. sheet stock to build the rest. You have the other stanchions to use as patterns. One piece for the outside and one for the inside and front. If you want the windshield to be raked, this could be done now too.

Ron

Not an option, I bought it second hand from here.

I look at all the windshield post.

I still NEED to purchase a windshield for my project.

Should you find that this windshield will not work for you & if it's 39 inches wide

I maybe interested in purchasing it from you.
-Eric

From the overhead shot, it looks like your post isn't far enough forward. This is common on some bodies because they added a 1/4 to the cowl when they added the dash.

Making posts from scratch isn't hard to do. The windshield frame is 7/8 round tube. A short piece of 1" tube will give you the "saddle" for the frame. Center the frame on the cowl and use 10 or 12 ga. sheet stock to build the rest. You have the other stanchions to use as patterns. One piece for the outside and one for the inside and front. If you want the windshield to be raked, this could be done now too.

Ron

Good info on the placement. Thanks. I've thought of the making my own route and I think I might employ that along with doing some body changes as well. Thanks

Does anyone have a pic of Donsrods T his has the same setup except he made a cool bracket that bolts to the flat dash part and then has a side post that wraps around to support the winshield frame.

Does anyone have a pic of Donsrods T his has the same setup except he made a cool bracket that bolts to the flat dash part and then has a side post that wraps around to support the winshield frame.

Donsrods used a cool one off setup.Its for the dash and windshield.

Attachments

• dash wiring 1 003 Donsrod.jpg
    dash wiring 1 003 Donsrod.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 87
This is a version of dons solution for the odd body styles for windshield mounting sorry no cool cam software but you get the idea

Dons windshield frame is the top half of a'19 to '21 Model T set mounted upside down in his brackets.

Ron

Your right but raid has the frame and that solution would get him going and be fairly cheap and quick to build. and ss polishes up and looks almost like chrome

The posts could be made of steel, polished and cleared also.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back