Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Wiper motor help

Humidi-T

I've got a chrome wiper motor from a friend, but not the instructions. It has three terminal on it marked "+", "-", & "S". The plus and minus are easy enough to figure out, but what is the "S" terminal for? I assume it is switched, but a ground switch or power switch? Anyone know?

I'm guessing it doesn't make a difference... what you have is 12 volts to the switch... when the switch is in the off position, the circuit is open, then when you pull/turn to on, the circuit is completed and wiper has power... They could break the circuit on the positive or negative side... so any switch rated for 12 volts and the amperage draw of the wiper motor will work fine.

I wonder if the 12 volts neg and pos is constant to the motor and the S is the 12 volt pos to start the cycle. If u think about it shutting the power off would stop the motor any where in its stroke. Stopping the switch signal will let the motor finish the stroke and return to the rest position. Hum

On modern wiper motors an electronic circuit that senses when the wipers are in their down position. The circuit maintains power to the wipers until they are parked at the bottom of the windshield, then cuts the power to the motor. This circuit also parks the wipers between wipes when they are on their intermittent setting.

I suppose on older wiper motors that self parked were provided constant power in the sweep portion via a mechanical contact and the switch as you suggested when on provided the power to start the sweep and in off position simply stopped the motor when in the parked position... In the very early wipers, just just stopped when you shut them off or even earlier when you stopped cranking! :lol:

rooster57 said:
I wonder if the 12 volts neg and pos is constant to the motor and the S is the 12 volt pos to start the cycle. If u think about it shutting the power off would stop the motor any where in its stroke. Stopping the switch signal will let the motor finish the stroke and return to the rest position. Hum

That makes very logical sense. Thanks!

LumenAl said:
I suppose on older wiper motors that self parked were provided constant power in the sweep portion via a mechanical contact and the switch as you suggested when on provided the power to start the sweep and in off position simply stopped the motor when in the parked position... In the very early wipers, just just stopped when you shut them off or even earlier when you stopped cranking! :lol:

That's the ticket Al. I'm good now.

+ is for the 12V from fuse block

- is if you want self parking. ( hook to switched ground )

S hook to switch. Switch the ground side of the circuit.

HTH...Richard :)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back