Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

wiring harness

Mallard

What is the wiring harness of choice ? I was thinking of a painless for $244 from Summitt Racing. Any thoughts ?

Hi Mallard Speedway has a book how to wire your streetrod page 41 shows a one wire alternator set up really simple thats the way I am going they carry one wire altenators but you can get them from any auto electric supply for less cash Francis

Francis Blake said:
Hi Mallard Speedway has a book how to wire your streetrod page 41 shows a one wire alternator set up really simple thats the way I am going they carry one wire altenators but you can get them from any auto electric supply for less cash Francis

I like the 3 wire alternator myself. Reason being when you are miles from home on a Sunday evening and you need an alternator, chances are the auto parts store does not have a 1 wire in stock. A 3 wire is very easy to hook up. Talking GM here. There is a plug with 2 wires on the alt. The big red wire can be jumped to the post on the back of the alt. Then run a big red wire from that post to an always hot terminal, I run mine to the starter, battery terminal. The other small wire coming out of that 2 terminal plug, run it to the acc side of the ignition switch. That way it connects thru the switch. If you run that wire to the ign side of the switch the eng won't shut off, when you turn the key to the off position.

All my life I have wired my own cars. I used marine grade wire and components because that was the industry I worked in, so I got cost on the stuff. Even at that, the stuff from Painless, Ron Francis, etc is hard to beat pricewise, when you add up all the stuff you need.

The first kit we ever used was a Summit setup (I think it is a Painless as the boxes look the same) We used it to wire my Kids T bucket. It was a nice kit, but the directions leave a lot to the imagination. My Son Dan did high end yacht wiring for a living, so he is used to rigging up radar, plasma tvs, etc etc. I have also done a lot of cars and boats over the years. Even with this experience, we had to sit down and try to figure out a bunch of stuff that the instructions did not cover or that were very vague.

When I do my '39 Dodge I am going to buy another kit, I think maybe AutoWire because I hear good things about them. Since I retired I no longer get the stuff at cost, and retail prices are just crazy. Bottom line, the kits are pretty good, but you would have to have some knowledge of wiring to get you through the blank areas IMO.

Don

Thanks RPM I was not certain how the 3 wire hooked up but that cleared it up:) I allready have the one wire in but i will save the 3 wire that was on my motor. Availability of parts are certainly important

Mine has a Ron Francis kit in it. My dad bought it 18 years ago when he started building the car, it was pretty simple to hook up.

Kit are good for the first timers. It's not that hard to wire your car yourself. You want to find a good, simple diagram. Take your time. Do one system at a time. When you're finished, take the time to make up a diagram of your cars system. There always seems to be something that is different than the diagram you use. This will be a big help if you have to trouble shot the wiring later.

Ron

donsrods said:
All my life I have wired my own cars. I used marine grade wire and components because that was the industry I worked in, so I got cost on the stuff. Even at that, the stuff from Painless, Ron Francis, etc is hard to beat pricewise, when you add up all the stuff you need.

The first kit we ever used was a Summit setup (I think it is a Painless as the boxes look the same) We used it to wire my Kids T bucket. It was a nice kit, but the directions leave a lot to the imagination. My Son Dan did high end yacht wiring for a living, so he is used to rigging up radar, plasma tvs, etc etc. I have also done a lot of cars and boats over the years. Even with this experience, we had to sit down and try to figure out a bunch of stuff that the instructions did not cover or that were very vague.

When I do my '39 Dodge I am going to buy another kit, I think maybe AutoWire because I hear good things about them. Since I retired I no longer get the stuff at cost, and retail prices are just crazy. Bottom line, the kits are pretty good, but you would have to have some knowledge of wiring to get you through the blank areas IMO.

Don

Of al the cars i'v done the Auto Wire unit is the best and the instruction sheet is well you would have to be Steve Wonder not to understand it

I did it myself with a piece of a service loop from work the first time around. The bucket ran and drove, and everything worked, but diagnostics were a real pain. I am currently installing a kit from Haywire. Pretty nicely laid out. Good instructions.

It's is not impossible to wire it your self if you have a background in electrical, particulalry automotive. I've you don't know what a relay is for, buy a good kit!

Well a buddy and I wired the entire thing ourself today. I agree it wasn't very hard, but diagnositcs is the issue. Everything is up and running, but i need to go back and number everything to avoid nightmares in the future.

I've seen Rick's wiring harness and it's the best I ever seen. You would do well to get that kit.

thomas:)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back