Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Would you recommend this body?

jbisme

I don't want to make a mistake and buy a bad body. The company I'm interested in buying the fiberglass body from is speedway motors out of Lincoln Nebraska. Should I go with the 25 with the door or the 23 with no doors. My wife is short, so she would prefer I got the one with a door. I have no idea what I'm buying, but it needs to be affordable.

if it was me, buying a fresh new body , i would go with a door. sliding over the top to get in and out gets old with me.(little overweight, beer belly,pants that don't move to easy when you hike your leg up, etc) hope this helps Q

Where do you live? There are lots of places that make bodies. I would look for a manufacture as close as possible and see about picking it up. Shipping can get pretty expensive.

Also how tall are you? There are some strtched bodies out there for guys that are tall.

The Speedway body is a good body to use. I have used a few of them. Personally I would go with the body without the door. When you get it home wood the inside of the door and cut it open. It's much easier to get a good fit that way.

Ron

I live near Wichita Kansas and Speedway is in Lincoln Nebraska. A one day trip for this project wouldn't be a big deal as long as I am buying a quality body.

And the other question about my size. I'm 5 foot 11 inches.

Ron and whomever else that can answer,

I like the idea to cut out my own door should I go with one door like Speedway does or two doors? Speedway sells a kit for the left door only. Who sells the hardware for both doors?

jbisme said:
And the other question about my size. I'm 5 foot 11 inches.

Ron and whomever else that can answer,

I like the idea to cut out my own door should I go with one door like Speedway does or two doors? Speedway sells a kit for the left door only. Who sells the hardware for both doors?

Well since Ford didn't put two doors in the Model T until 1926, most T-buckets made from 1923 bodies only have the passenger side door. If you want both doors, you'll need to buy a body without doors, get it wooded up real good and then cut them out.

BTW I'm 5'9" and a standard body is cramped for me. My Dad has a stretched CCR body and it's nice and comfy.

Rod & Race sells a left and right hand door "kit". It comes with hinges, latch, the door and the frame. Looks kinda cool. If I remember they are about $60.

THX, Neet sight and they have a good Photo Gallery. One door states for passenger side the other does not. With all the hardware it look like a pretty good deal.

I would put the floor if its not done and mount it on the frame before cutting the door out that way its square with no flex.

If I go with the Speedway body, it does not have a floor. So yes, it seems like a great idea to wait until it is solid on my frame before cutting out the door. Thanks for saying so. I would probably build a roll cage and then cut out the doors. With the body on the frame I can try out if I need doors or not too.

You guys have me so excited to get started!

When I had my body built I had them to back fill the outline of the doors with glass. Then I ground off the door outlines on the outside making the body smooth. So we could have some big doors that you can actually get in and out of. Both sides have doors. The body has 1" square steel tube inside for support.
newtfinished3_edited.jpg

I was going to go doorless. But after the body was mounted and it was time to install the dash - Hoo boy! It was a job that entailed climbing in the car and curling up on one side. As usual I'd foget the soldering iron or need a different wire or couldn't find the philips or one thing or another. I'd climb back out and climb back in again. After about twenty times of repeating this process I made up my mind to put TWO doors in the dang thing. I made them extra big too. One inch from the floor the opening is 3 inches from the dash and a foot from the rear of the cab. That leaves enough solid body for your shoulder to push against in a hard turn and not put stress on the door. It was not that big a job and I plan on having that car till I die as I figure I might be able to lift my leg now but what I might need a step-ladder when I'm 80.

Your wife will thank you for it too!

RPM, Spooky,

I'm always forgetting that one more tool and I can see that happening to me. Plus the frame I plan to use is going to be fairly tall. There will be doors on this ride.

I guess the only thing left to ask, is do you approve the Speedway doorless body? I will be cutting out a wider door like the picture posted above.

Where did you guys get the door hardware?

jbisme said:
RPM, Spooky,

I'm always forgetting that one more tool and I can see that happening to me. Plus the frame I plan to use is going to be fairly tall. There will be doors on this ride.

I guess the only thing left to ask, is do you approve the Speedway doorless body? I will be cutting out a wider door like the picture posted above.

Where did you guys get the door hardware?

The hinges I used I got off of Ebay and are for a Model T Ford. Guess what they fit the body contour perfect. They are original used T hinges. the latchs I got from Speedway.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back