Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

wow had to come home and clean my britches awhile ago.

Zero Caster, whoa - that would make the steering real easy - staying in a straight would be a real problem - the car will be all over the road. I think I would move it to about 5 to 7.

No Todd, zero to 1 deg. caster and neutral toe in. Camber is preset. Yeah Duke the front end adjustments it's on my list of to do's.

I'm going to the Turky Run next month and hope to hooh up with Brian from TP and get some questions answered.

JMC

Check and set your caster first. Anything over 5 degrees is asking for front end shake. The more caster you have, the less speed it takes to make it shake. I like 4 to 5 degrees caster, but have gone as low as 3 degrees on a heavier car. If you ever raise or lower the either end of your car (change of tire size, different springs, etc.), check caster to make sure you did not go over 5 degrees.

After caster is correct, set your toe. I usually start with 1/8" toe in and adjust from there...

ACJC said:
No Todd, zero to 1 deg. caster and neutral toe in. Camber is preset. Yeah Duke the front end adjustments it's on my list of to do's.

I'm going to the Turky Run next month and hope to hooh up with Brian from TP and get some questions answered.

JMC

I know that camber is 'preset' as you say. Years ago I worked in an old Bear Alinement shop, we used to tweak the axle for camber all the time. Some people often get camber and caster mixed up. When I built my Model A (actually on a T chassis) I used '37 ford front end parts and friction shocks, the alignment was, left wheel 1/2 degree camber - 6 degree caster, right wheel 1/8 degree camber - 6 1/2 degree caster, zero toe. These old straight axles like caster. What are you running for tires? Mixing radials and bias plys will give you a chasing feeling too.

Coker Classic BFG Silvertown Bias Ply. L78-15 rear and 5.00X15 front. 28 psi all around. I have been delaying the caster adjustment to see if I want to add the TP shock kit. So far the friction shocks work good and have not seemed to have backed off.

There's a lot I want to do to the car this winter (as posted previously) after I retire 12/31.

JMC

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back