Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

1926 Model T RPU

pics, no, i got started and just kept going...

here is what i did. the mounts to the body are 3/16" mild steel plate that i heated and formed over and anvil to match the body shape. then i added the posts and built up space where the post meets the mount with weld. next, using a flap disc on my grinder, i formed the transition curves and got it all smooth. Then using a rosebud on the torch, i heated the post and formed them to the exact angles i wanted. (just a slight tweak, its amazing how 1/2 deg is visible) Now the post material is hollow, so to allow for the windscreen mount bolts to pass through and have some clamping force, i milled up some slugs and welded them in. The though bolt that allows the windscreen to hinge is a 3/8 fine thread. i did that so i can use the traditional windscreen wing nuts. (not pictured) The windscreen its self is 1/2" black pipe that i milled a 5/16 slot. this allows for the u channel grommet and the glass. The glass will install from the bottom and i will put small tac welds to hold the bottom of the windscreen frame. I still plan to mill some decorative grooves in the pillars.

In all maybe 10 hours... But for me, shop time = play time

I'm doing pretty much the same thing right now...creating a windshield.
I'm using a couple of 50's pickup tie rod tubes as a glass frame and will shortly be cutting the glass slot.
(using a minigrinder and zip wheel. NO milling machine unfortunately!)

Anywho...you mentioned a "U channel grommet" , and I was wondering if you could add some info about that like depth and possible sources etc?

I have thought about maybe using door glass run channel from the PickaPart, but the one piece I took home to test seems to have too little depth to allow the glass and grommet to rest on the inside of the pipe.

Any info on your setup would be helpful i think!

Awesome build!!!
thanks!

Windscreen is at the glass shop now. I was asked if i wanted the green tinted glass. "hot rod guys ask for this"

I opted for clear. I think i would find the green tint distracting. Thoughts?

I have no plans for a top/sides/heater. Fair weather car only. My commute to work is just a little over 1 mile.

Windscreen is at the glass shop now. I was asked if i wanted the green tinted glass. "hot rod guys ask for this"
I opted for clear. I think i would find the green tint distracting. Thoughts?

You did the right thing, IMHO. The tinted windshields don't work so great in an open car - too much reflectivity.:thumbsup:

I don't have it in the current plan, but a heater may not be a bad idea. I have several convertibles and we use the heater on them sometimes with the top down coming home at,night after a show, or in early spring, or fall.

Its on the road! Stopped in to my local DMV last week and got my tags.

Today was the shakedown run. I did 66 miles with a top speed of 78mph. NO issues whatsoever. Smooth and solid. A blast to drive!

I hope everyone enjoyed the build as much as i did.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back