Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

1962 Econoline Brakes?

Indycars

I think these brakes are from a 1962 Econoline, can someone confirm this???
King Pin Dia 0.740"
Drum Dia 10"
Brake Shoe Width: 2.5"
Whl Cyl Dia 1.125"
DSC00057.JPGDSC00059.JPGDSC00063.JPGDSC00064.JPGDSC00072.JPGDSC00047.JPG

I'm wanting to purchase a brake spring kit, where can I get them??? How about some of the shops here on the forum???

Thanks guys!!!

Rick

Can't REALLY tell you but I've got '65 Econolines on the front of mine with a Total axle. The work fine.

Can't REALLY tell you but I've got '65 Econolines on the front of mine with a Total axle. The work fine.

I bought the axle from Speedway Motors in 1982, I was already driving the car and just replacing the the axle with more chrome. Wish I had better documented the build!

Rick

The bolt on control arm looks like one. Try NAPA for the spring kit. Take the old springs with you and match them up.

The bolt on control arm looks like one. Try NAPA for the spring kit. Take the old springs with you and match them up.
Thanks for that kinda yes confirmation, looks like I'm on the right track! :rolleyes:

I'll be ripping an axle out of an Econoline tonight.

4967157705_ea3442aa62.jpg

Pulling the rear, yanking the front, removing the doors and windows and anything else that can be removed, and scrapping it.

Darn shame too, it's 100% there and all it needs is gas and a battery to roll.

Oh well, that's hot roddin' I guess.

They sure look econoline to me and the dimensions fit. Old round fart is right take them with ya to the parts store and match them up. I changed mine out to 90 camaro rotors and calipers cause the internals were junk from Ford and I wanted front discs.

If you "ever" run into a '67 Econoline master cylinder grab it -- dual chamber With pedal and spring assembly as one compact unit. Oh plus the stop light switch.

They sure look econoline to me and the dimensions fit. Old round fart is right take them with ya to the parts store and match them up. I changed mine out to 90 camaro rotors and calipers cause the internals were junk from Ford and I wanted front discs.

Thanks! for the confirmation!

So you change from Econoline to 90 Camaro front disk? Did it require any modifications to make it work?

Rick

Thanks for the input!!!, I will try matching them with a 62 Econoline.

Rick

Thanks! for the confirmation!

So you change from Econoline to 90 Camaro front disk? Did it require any modifications to make it work?

Rick

This is a spin off from Chesters book where you go from Econoline to early 70's chevelle rotors. The wheel seal needs to be changed to CR # 17406 or SKF # 17404. The outer wheel bearing and race has to be changed from the Camaro A3 to the Chevelle A2 (it mikes out and is a perfect fit). You can make a spacer or use washers to tighten the fit for the preload on the bearings ( I made a spacer).The Camaro rotor is offset 3/8 inch to the inside compared to the Chevlle rotor and is a 10.5 inch diameter compared to the Chevelles 11 inch. I know of no premade brackets out there so you have to build your own. You'll need to make some 1/4 inch spacers to set the bracket out from the backing plate mounting plate this is on the axle side and some 3/8 plate to build the rest.

This is a spin off from Chesters book where you go from Econoline to early 70's chevelle rotors. The wheel seal needs to be changed to CR # 17406 or SKF # 17404. The outer wheel bearing and race has to be changed from the Camaro A3 to the Chevelle A2 (it mikes out and is a perfect fit). You can make a spacer or use washers to tighten the fit for the preload on the bearings ( I made a spacer).The Camaro rotor is offset 3/8 inch to the inside compared to the Chevlle rotor and is a 10.5 inch diameter compared to the Chevelles 11 inch. I know of no premade brackets out there so you have to build your own. You'll need to make some 1/4 inch spacers to set the bracket out from the backing plate mounting plate this is on the axle side and some 3/8 plate to build the rest.
Thanks for the details!!! Front disk is something I want to do in the future.

Rick

My front and rear brakes and axles are 66 chevy g10 van. Everything on mine was very rusty so I ended up replacing everything and here's a little of what I ran into. The new wheel cylinders didn't come with the pushrods so I had to get them separately and the push rods were the hardest to find. The master spring kit only came with the main springs and hold down springs and nails. The springs associated with the adjusting screws had to be ordered separately or with the adjuster screw kit. I'm not going to tell you about all the embarassing things I did while ordering the parts but I ended up making quite a few trips to the parts store to get everything. With the exception of the drums and backing plates everything else is new. I had to go to three different parts stores to get everything but all the parts you need should hopefuly still be available. Just because you buy a master rebuild kit don't assume that it comes with everything you need because it probably doesn't.

My front and rear brakes and axles are 66 chevy g10 van. Everything on mine was very rusty so I ended up replacing everything and here's a little of what I ran into. The new wheel cylinders didn't come with the pushrods so I had to get them separately and the push rods were the hardest to find. The master spring kit only came with the main springs and hold down springs and nails. The springs associated with the adjusting screws had to be ordered separately or with the adjuster screw kit. I'm not going to tell you about all the embarassing things I did while ordering the parts but I ended up making quite a few trips to the parts store to get everything. With the exception of the drums and backing plates everything else is new. I had to go to three different parts stores to get everything but all the parts you need should hopefuly still be available. Just because you buy a master rebuild kit don't assume that it comes with everything you need because it probably doesn't.
You are exactly right! I can get most everything separately and at different stores. All NAPA have is the hold down springs. OReilly has the others as singles, no kits. None of my springs look terrible, but I wanted to go back with new while I had it apart.

Rick

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back