Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

27 T truck build

RPM

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Sponsor
I have been building my 27 T truck now a little over 4 years and, we rolled it out in the sun today. Just to see how it sets.
IMG_20160809_115101203_HDR_zpszyvcodye.jpg
IMG_20160809_113832466_HDR_zpsy4ibmdtc.jpg
IMG_20160809_113934349_zpszdy7zrxt.jpg
IMG_20160809_115114784_zpss5dhuysw.jpg

Very cool, but looks like it needs a shampoo ! heheheh!

I have been building my 27 T truck now a little over 4 years and, we rolled it out in the sun today. Just to see how it sets.
IMG_20160809_115101203_HDR_zpszyvcodye.jpg
IMG_20160809_113832466_HDR_zpsy4ibmdtc.jpg
IMG_20160809_113934349_zpszdy7zrxt.jpg
IMG_20160809_115114784_zpss5dhuysw.jpg

Look'n good!

Just Curious...how does the interior room compare to a standard '27 RPU bucket? To your 10" stretched bucket? Is the body going to be commercially available?

For a long time, my "if I had the bucks" build would be one of the stretched Model A pickup cabs..,.but seeing these pics push a '27 pickup cab like yours into the lead.

Last edited:
Look'n good!

Just Curious...how does the interior room compare to a standard '27 RPU bucket? To your 10" stretched bucket? Is the body going to be commercially available?

For a long time, my "if I had the bucks" build would be one of the stretched Model A pickup cabs..,.but seeing these pics push a '27 pickup cab like yours into the lead.
The truck cab came from Russnomore, they don't make it or the coupe anymore.

That is sweet.
Love the stretched look, not sure on the front coils.
Cool looking truck, wish I was all steel and had a top on mine like that

Typical P Cup. Bed over flowing with stuff (not junk, stuff). Old body man I know filled the bed of his El Camino with used beer cans, Coors I believe. All while doing body work on the Camino (and other cars). Truck beds can become large trash cans. Not meant to, it just happens.
Give it a good bath, incentive to finish, to drive, to enjoy.

By the by, how does that 500 Caddy fit in the stream of things ? Will the trans live ? Would a SBC fit easier

I thought you had told me that you were using a Caddy 500 - excellent choice! I have a TH400 trans behind mine and don't know much about the 200r but I'm sure it is up to the job. I like the headers - I just got a set of lakes headers very similar to yours (except mine have a turnout) and like them a lot. I do like the front end - do you make front axles set up for coilovers or is that one just a one-off for your truck? I'll be looking forward to seeing the truck at a future meet when it is finished.

Just like yours Lou, a 500 Caddy, with a 200r trans.

I thought you had told me that you were using a Caddy 500 - excellent choice! I have a TH400 trans behind mine and don't know much about the 200r but I'm sure it is up to the job. I like the headers - I just got a set of lakes headers very similar to yours (except mine have a turnout) and like them a lot. I do like the front end - do you make front axles set up for coilovers or is that one just a one-off for your truck? I'll be looking forward to seeing the truck at a future meet when it is finished.

Looks like I may need some schooling on the Caddy V8s. My uneducated first impression Is that they would be like steering around a boat anchor in the front end. About 6 months ago it seemed that they were growing on trees around here...390s, 429s and 500s...for reasonable prices.

I think a lot of people believe, as you do, that they are heavy. I'm not sure what the weight of a Caddy 500 is, but I believe it isn't much heavier than a big-block Chevy. My car steers very easily. They aren't commonly used in T-Buckets and I have never seen one in another bucket. The Caddy 500 has a lot of low-end torque but one with a stock valve train shouldn't be revved much about 4,000 rpm. They have a good block and are considered fairly bulletproof. A big disadvantage is that are there only a few manufacturers and suppliers of aftermarket speed equipment and what is available is usually more limited and expensive than those for Chevys and other popular engines. I think you can still get one for a reasonable price, but I didn't buy the engine because it was in my car when I bought it. There is a fair amount of info about them on the internet. Not trying to sell anyone on using the 500 but I like mine a lot.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back