Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A map thing for members locations.

Telman2

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm talking about something I know nothing about.

It seems that a number of forum members are interested in getting together with one another but not many of us know who lives around us. I was on another forum that had one of those maps things that allowed members to plot their location. If anyone here know what I'm talking about, where to get it and how to post it I think it would make a great addition to the forum.

If everyone would put where they live in the upper right hand corner of their posts it would help greatly.

Jim

Who started this and has northern Illinois as a place they live thats not a town is it?LOL

putz said:
Who started this and has northern Illinois as a place they live thats not a town is it?LOL

I'm sorry I never realized that I had neglected to update that information, that's now corrected.

I agree it helps if everyone puts their location in their profile but with over 1600 members it's not easy finding people around you. With a map the guys that are interested in getting together with fellow forum members could easily see who lives near them. Those not interested in meeting others just wouldn't plot their location.

It can be done using the Google Maps API, but it would take some programming and time to do. There's also the question of how far do you want to take it address level? city level? And there's also a privacy issue to consider if you take it to the address level.

Another option would be is to have people enter their zip code and then have a directory/sort by zip code.

sounds cool it would real interesting to see where everyone is at or where the majority of the members are located.:D

The problem I see with that is everyone would want to show up at my house and drink all my Jack Daniels.

Even having a roster by state would help. Wickenburg is having an annual Fly-In and car show, Oct. 10th. Its a great family event and Valley of the Sun (Phoenix Area) car buffs would enjoy the scenic drive up.

AZCOWBO; The problem I see with that is everyone would want to show up at my house and drink all my Jack Daniels.

Now exactly what is your address?

George

That has to be one of the best idea's ever. A map showing location in relation to the U. S. If a rodder is on a trip, he'll know where his nearest friend, help, parts or assistance is. I'll bet there are guys close to me, I would never know about until I see how close they are on the map.
SUPER IDEA !!!!!!!

I've been trying to find the forum I saw the map I was originally referring to on without any luck. Someone on another forum suggested I might be looking for a frap map, I have no idea of what that is? Honestly at 66 I'm not very computer literate, can any of our younger members here help out? If you don't want to actually get involved that's OK, just point me in a direction with simple easy to follow instructions and I'll try and follow them.

It seems a lot of our members are from Texas.Not to many from the northern states where we get a crapload of snow and get to use our buckets for about 5 maybe 6 months.

tea boy said:
sowed good to me but not every body lives in the USA

REALLY???? :D
You mean there is life outside the USA? :cool:
Kidding guys.
But seriously... If any of you can find your way to MY end of Canada (it's a big place).. let me know. I don't have a place to put you up (small house) but I'd be glad to give you a tour and point you in the right directions.
And just because I'm in the Great White North please don't think we have snow 24/7/365 or that we all live in an igloo.. or all say "eh". Ok? ;)

For the privacy thing you could just go to mapquest and look up your general area to the depth you are comfortable with and copy the link like this:

Map of Yarmouth, NS Canada by MapQuest

GizmoJoe said:
And just because I'm in the Great White North please don't think we have snow 24/7/365 or that we all live in an igloo.. or all say "eh". Ok? ;)

How's it goin', eh? :lol:

Giz, NS is a great place. I did my honeymoon in NS and PEI 22 years ago and loved every minute of it. If you guys are into lobsters and good beer, I strongly recommend it.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back