Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Adding a Door

That's the way I would do it. Cut straight and you'll have very little to do to make it work.

That will work too. Just be sure you have enough filler behind the wood to fill any voids. When you mix it hold off a little on the hardener. It will flow easier. Also wait till you can't feel any heat on the body surface before cutting.

Ron

The gauge cluster was from a Metro van. mounted the cluster behind the dash and made an aluminum cover plate with holes in the appropriate places. Paid like $10 for it at the yard. I think I used SW senders with it too.

Ron

Nice work, Ron! Where did you get the latch?

Those latches came from Speedway. I have several stock latches and dove tails on hand on hand. They clean up real easy in the blaster once they are taken apart. A little grease on the slide and $.50 worth of new springs and they're ready to go.

Ron

Another question, Ron-once the wood is installed, what do you coat it with to keep out moisture?

I do a 2 layer tabbing with glass mat and cover the exposed wood with resin.

Ron

I hope I'm not asking a stupid question, but could you go into more detail on "tabbing"? I'm kinda green when it comes to fiberglass!

Not stupid at all. When I add wood to the body, I set the wood in kitty hair. After it sets up, I cut strips of 'glass mat about 3" wide, soak them down with resin and lay them along side the wood lapping on the body. After that sets up I cut some 2" wide strips and add them no top of the previous 3" strip. This is called "tabbing". Don did a nice write up on glassing back a year or so ago. Might try a search for it. The man dose an excellent job both installing wood and explaining it.

Ron

You set the wood in Kitty Hair ? I thought most used Liquid nails to stick the wood then glass over it ? So is the bond much better ?
I hope I'm not Hijacking the thread . But some really good info is here ..
Thanks

I have replaced wood in bodies where Liquid nails was used. Both had several voids in them. If you make the wood pieces fit close to the body you won't get voids with kitty hair. The Liquid nails dosen't."flow" like body putty dose. JMHO

Ron

Here's a couple of door jam pictures. We use steel tube frameworks inside the Door bodies, all the bolts that pass thru the body are backed by steel plates and tied to the frame thru the floor. This way the fiberglass is being sandwiched between the metal and not carrying the stress. Over time this eliminates flexing and cracking.
The riser should support the side of the body that the door closes on , so keep that in mind.

Good luck

View attachment 5756View attachment 5757View attachment 5758View attachment 5759
I am in the process of doing a door for my bucket as well. I have a TP body and the question I have is will your hinge work? I like the looks of it but have not been able to find it in your catalouge, probably doing something wrong on this da(*^(^& computer again. How do you attache the seat riser to the sides of the body might be interested in getting that as well looks like it would make the sides very strong without a ton of glass work.

I've used Evercoat Corvette Panel adhesive and filler. Best stuff I've ever found. I'ts about every where in my car where wood meets fiberglass.

We do sell the hinge and parts separate but we do not have them in our catalog or website, Diane has a price list for all the door parts she could send or e-mail to you. An outside type hinge is much easier to set up and get to work correct but we've had plenty of customers use our hidden hinge and hinge post on their bodies with no issues.
The door framework (riser) attaches thru the floor to the frame and the jam part supports the body side and holds the striker. This works very good and would work even better if the framework was epoxyed in place.

The Panel adhesive is the perfect "glue" to use. Holds great and cures without heat. Sticks to wood, glass, metal and anything else it touches, and is not brittle like resin products. ( you can even use the marine style for underwater repairs)

Ok is this what I am looking for ?
%21B7ZV%21bw%21Wk%7E$%28KGrHqN,%21jUEzKRS3E+MBM0ESrTcw%21%7E%7E-1_35.JPG

BUT: it won't work if someone is using ABS interior panels. If you are joining them to anything.

OK thanks ,,My parts guy said he can get this .

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back