Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Adding wood to the body

dodgewade

I've seen several threads with pics that have plywood floors on top of the glass floor. Is this something that always should be done? How does one attatch such? Is this glassed in around the edges?

Thanks,

Wade

I've seen several threads with pics that have plywood floors on top of the glass floor. Is this something that always should be done? How does one attatch such? Is this glassed in around the edges?

Thanks,

Wade

Wade: Most of the bodies do not come with floors--there are exceptions, but most just have flanges a couple inches wide. The plywood floor is typically cut to the width of the floor and glassed and resined together at the edges. I coated my floor several times with resin to seal it completely. Here are a few pics from my build to illustrate.

Bens27117.jpg

Bens27177.jpg

Bens2780.jpg

Thx ben,

I ordered my body with the floor installed since I was not one to do body work. I guess I will learn something about "glassing" before I'm finished, but it does seem from looking it would make the body stronger. Especially after the wood is added to the sides.

Your floor looks very good, how many coats did you add to seal. Will the resin crack?

Thanks,

Have A Big TIme

Wade

Thx ben,

I ordered my body with the floor installed since I was not one to do body work. I guess I will learn something about "glassing" before I'm finished, but it does seem from looking it would make the body stronger. Especially after the wood is added to the sides.

Your floor looks very good, how many coats did you add to seal. Will the resin crack?

Thanks,

Have A Big TIme

Wade

Wade I put at least 4 coat on ---It soaks in pretty good. You might not need as much, but I wanted to make sure it was sealed good. The resin won't crack. Maybe some of the other fellas have done a wood floor over the glass one...

Ben my wife has been wanting me to paint my 27 blue but I thought I wanted on of these new bronze colours but after looking at yours blue it is.

Ben my wife has been wanting me to paint my 27 blue but I thought I wanted on of these new bronze colours but after looking at yours blue it is.

Thanks...blue is my favorite color!

If I was to do it again, I'd still paint it blue, but find a cheaper color. I ended up using the DuPont Hot Hues paint, and when it was all over with (1-1/2 gal) it cost me a small fortune. Now there are a lot of similar factory colors to pic from and get a bit cheaper paint line...Oh well. The budget build we doing now is using a one-stage metallic plum crazy purple paint from Hot Rod Paints--$65 a gal with reducer and activator!!!

I believe Sherwin Williams has a water born line of auto paint now that is amateur friendly. I will check into it and see what they have.

Hi, so if a fiberglass floor, with trans tunnel came with my body i put it on top of the wood floor?? Tnx

Wade: Most of the bodies do not come with floors--there are exceptions, but most just have flanges a couple inches wide. The plywood floor is typically cut to the width of the floor and glassed and resined together at the edges. I coated my floor several times with resin to seal it completely. Here are a few pics from my build to illustrate.

Bens27117.jpg

Bens27177.jpg

Bens2780.jpg

Hi, so if a fiberglass floor, with trans tunnel came with my body i put it on top of the wood floor?? Tnx

Ron: In that case, if the glass floor isn't rigid enough by itself, I'd laminate plywood (using glue down with liquid nails or sim.) to the inside and trim it around the tunnel. You might be able to get a way with thinner plywood--1/2" or so. Then you could smooth out the glass bottom and paint it with the body if you care about that stuff.

Anyone else with a similar situation?

Hi
heres some picture of the way I put a glass floor in my T
Maybe it will help if you want to go this way. It is very strong and tied the whole body together, if a little weighty.
floor.JPGfloor1.JPGfloor2.JPGfloor3.JPGfloor4.JPG
floor5.JPGfloor6.JPGfloor7.JPGfloor8.JPG

Gerry

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back