Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Air bags in a Bucket

Gerry

We have touched on this in another thread about seat belts. So I thought I would open up a thread to see what people think.

To start with I need to know how they fire (by what mechanism). and if they would be of any use at all. There must be 10s of thousands in junk yards so can we use them.
They are normally small and easily hidden

WHAT SAY YOU BUCKETEERS

Gerry

I believe airbags have their own computer/sensor/control system that would have to be removed from the donor and then installed in your project. You would have to get a steering column designed for the airbag. On the passenger side you would need to modify the dash significantly. Too much trouble.

I agree. way too much trouble. air bags are for sissies anyway. die like a man, bro. :flex:

Russ

They fire by a small electric charge. Usually there are "shock" sensors that will activate the charge. Not exactly sure how they sensors work but pretty sure its some sort of "G" load sensor. If a shock of such a force hits the sensor, the contacts meet and off go the bags.

I would look at side impact bags over a steering wheel bag. Front and rear collisions at least have the luxury of the frame being in the way, side impact, well 1/8 of fiberglass is not going to stop much.

I have to admit that I do see where Gerry is coming from on this. especially over the pond it sounds like "the man" is getting pretty heavy handed on regulating us off the planet, so anything we can do to show that we're trying to be safe and eco-friendly certainly could not hurt our cause. If our own personal safety were to be improved that could even be a plus I recon' .
that being said......
the side panels and under dash areas are pretty limited on space as it is. so how thick is an airbag setup anyway??

Russ

No sure if bags would help much if your hit...
wreck.jpg

No sure if bags would help much if your hit...
wreck.jpg

Looks like that body needed some bigger mounting washers. I wonder why they dont use a piece of 1-1/8" plywood for the floors in the T bucket, sure it ways about 20lbs more but it has a hell of alot more holding power to the frame.

I see that picture tossed around a lot. I remember reading the story on that picture. Something along the lines of "He was showing off and lost it" That's him in the picture talking to the cops. TP body with the little rubber plugs and no seat belts.

I thought it was on here actually.

That's him in the picture talking to the cops.
Actually, I think that's him under the white sheet beyond the T. LumenAl originally posted the story. IIRC, he got tossed out over the windshield and landed on his head.

I have seat belts attached to the body in my T. If the body comes off, I'm going with it.

I think it's important to understand in the most expensive BMW 4 door sedan, Mercedes, or any American car with seatbelts ---and airbags help-----? but not

a for sure thing in a frontal collision at 35-55 mph, you're dead. On a side impact, hitting the driver's door, 35-55 mph, you're also dead MOST OF THE TIME. So, it doesn't

matter. Airbags have caused death in children, in pregnant women, AND CAN BE A DANGER UNTO ITSELF. They now recommend putting children in back seats.

You really left with a feeling of false security as if well, I have a big airbag. They have saved lives and taken some. WE DON'T KNOW WHEN OUR TIME'S UP.

DRIVE YOUR T-BUCKETS AND HAVE FUN. SECURE THE BODIES PROPERLY. YOU TAKE A CHANCE WALKING ACROSS THE STREET EVERYDAY.

On the wreck on the T-bucket, I don't see the driver from the van. From the damage I see on the van, I would doubt that's the guy talking to the police. Bob Nunes

I have seat belts attached to the body in my T. If the body comes off, I'm going with it.

Mine are attached to the body as well. I remember T Fever Freds accident where he said he was almost launched over the windshield, but he managed to hold on to the steering wheel. I would prefer not to have to depend on my hand grip to keep me in the car. I accept the fact that with the belts, in a rollover, I'm probably dead. As long as the car is on it's wheels though, I would rather stay with the car.

As far as the air bags go, I think they would be a worthwhile addition if the details could be worked out. Be careful removing them from the car as they can discharge if not handled properly. Research the correct way to disarm the specific bag you're looking at. I believe some of them retain an electrical charge sufficient to discharge in case power is lost in an accident. I know that in some cases there a crush sensors that trigger the bags. I also believe that there are "G Force" sensors built into the bags themselves.

Keep us posted if you decide to do this.

Mike

working in the automotive field i have come across a few instances of working with airbags and i did not like any of them. In my oppion pulling them from a donor car is nuts, the sensors usually have a little ball about the size of a bb in them if the ball makes it over the hump to the contact then off they go, the airbag themselves need to see the correct resistance or off they go. There just is way to many things that WILL go wrong taking airbags out of a donor. One wrong mistake and off it goes which could cost you a fiberglassbody, windshield, interior and/or your life. There is a reason manufactures use yellow coated wires for aibags in cars to make it known to stay away. This is just my oppion sorry to be negative, just wouldnt want someone getting hurt.

it is my understanding that you are not allowed to purchase air bags from junked vehicles atleast not here Ct,Mass,RI every yard I talked to says it's against the law for them to sell them.Any repair facility found using recycled (junk yard) air bags can loose it's license.I'd like to get my hands one one of those self contained ABS systems sold across the pond! they seem to come up with some very innovative hot rod parts there.I bought a magazine here for a few months American Hot Rod that was actually from England my local book store was getting them in error! it was a great mag with great tech sections!

Well we got some great reactions and opinions so far.

Over here airbags are classified as explosives and the points made about pulling them from a doner is very well made. One slip up and you could be wearing anything thats between you and the bag.

The safety briefing at the strip I frequented stated that if a car with air bags crashed the safety crew should NEVER lean in through the drivers window to assist. Why? Because if the air bag goes off the safety crew would be forced in to the driver and both would suffer serious injury.
Yep they can go off when you least expect it.

There is a lot of work put in to the size and location of an air bag to ensure it restrains the person not hits them so hard it kills them. If you have ever seen someone that had a steering wheel bag go of on them its not unusual to see abrasions and friction burns on their face. IN my opinion there is not (as yet) a way of mounting a dash or S wheel bag on a T especially if you have a vertical column like mine. But if some forward thinking company decided to look in to side air bags for T and other Rods then that would be a step forward.

If you have ever worked on a car with a fault in the airbag wiring/connectors, you are told to disconnect the battery for at least 30 mins before touching anything. This dissipates any residual charges etc in the system A lot of people also connect the + and - of the battery leads (ONCE THEY ARE OFF THE BATTERY) together to earth out any capacitors in the system.

In short unless you KNOW what you are doing DONT touch an air bag system

I hope this thread keeps going just to see what we can learn.

Gerry

gerry from my reading it sounds like you are worried about a hit from the side. Have you put any thought in building a roll bar just a single hoop behind your head and then running a bar diagonally down the side of the car on the inside of the body, this could help in a minor accident from the side. just a thought here are some options for ideas, i have thought about doing this to my car.

Attachments

• 27ford41.jpg
    27ford41.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 15
Good idea but I think on a 70s T it would be out of place and context.

2 airbags in a dryer they look scary had one go off on somebody working under a dash got a couple days off with hearing loss for a couple days.

[media]

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back