Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Air bags in a Bucket

Hi Gerry,

I just wanted to add my 2 cents here on air bags. Back in the 80’s and early 90’s I had a lot of experience with air bags. I worked for Chrysler Corporation in the Kansas City Zone office as a Technical Advisor. When the air bags first came out, one of my jobs was to inspect and investigate any air bag that deployed in a Chrysler, Plymouth or Dodge vehicle. Our zone office covered 5 states so there were hundreds of deployments. I also taught many of the technical training classes that Chrysler provided to the dealership technicians to teach them how the air bag systems operated and the procedures to work on them. In many of the classes, we would actually deploy an air bag for the technician to see.

All of the air bag systems I’m familiar with are part of a SRS system. (Supplemental restraint system) This means the air bag is designed to be used in conjunction with a seat belt. The seat belt is used to hold the driver/passenger in place so that the air bag contacts the body in the correct place.

The first generation air bags deployed at a higher rate of speed and quite a bit more force that the current systems in new cars. They used 3 spring-loaded roller sensors. There was a sensor on each side at the front of the vehicle and the third sensor was in the computer module, which was typically located in the center of the vehicle. The sensor in the computer had to be activated as well as one or both of the front sensors for the air bag to deploy.

There are many myths about air bags. With a bit of knowledge they are not dangerous to work on and when used properly with the seat belts they are very effective at saving lives. In all of the inspections I completed, I never found an air bag that didn’t work as it was designed. In the rare instance of an injury from an air bag, it was usually the result of someone not wearing a seatbelt.

As far as putting an air bag in a t-bucket, the steering column angle would be critical. I think it would be difficult to make the clock spring and air bag module look good in the steering wheel. The manufacturers do a lot of testing to get things right. It might be hard to find a crash test dummy.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e5cHhCEuuI&feature=related[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHbwvYqq22s&feature=related[/media]

Great info there Bill. and I think you may have inadvertantly stumbled upon a solution for Gerry in your first video. an ejection seat. That could solve the space and design problems with an air bag, and would certainly get you away from the wreakage. I figure it would have to shoot you at least 100 feet in the air however, so the chute would have time to open. what do you think Gerry?

:cripple:
Russ

I still want out, just drive as careful as you can and watch out for the other guy, that is a big problem, but many T Bucket crashes I have seen, were from the bad STUPID use of the load pedal on a T Bucket, which is the same as a loaded and cocked 44 mag. with a hair trigger, and in those cases was in the hands of a child, Sorry to say... Drive safe :)

AIRBAGS, well sometimes she comes along, sometimes she doesn't. Have to go, she is coming into the room. :-0

Great info there Bill. and I think you may have inadvertantly stumbled upon a solution for Gerry in your first video. an ejection seat. That could solve the space and design problems with an air bag, and would certainly get you away from the wreakage. I figure it would have to shoot you at least 100 feet in the air however, so the chute would have time to open. what do you think Gerry?

:cripple:
Russ

That will work. Only problem I see is that you would have to wear a helmet so we are back to square one.!!!!!
Its good that there is some positives coming out. Never know some company out there may see an opening for a bolt on product and research it. Just think of the possible US market size, and the kudos for a company that is first in the market. Even if they were only 50% as effective as the main stream ones it would save some lives. We are talking the WHOLE after market auto scene here.
gerry

I built a car for a fellow that drove and ambulance on Hwy. 101 in Calif... He told me that seat belts keep the body with the car, much easier to find. He also said they they (seat belts) kill almost as many as they save... take it for what it's worth... There are good and bad points to all this life saving stuff... When it is your time, you are going, one way or another, so don't worry yourself to an early grave... Life is too short already :)

I am using a 97 Cavalier column and wheel, but due to the complicated engineering involved in active crash protection the air bag will be removed. I will rely on racing seats and racing belts for protection and comfort. I like to feel attached to the vehicle and the mounting point are in the frame.

Al

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back