Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

All the same

On IFS's...Maybe I'm too traditional, on an open wheeled car they just don't work for me. A T bucket is a light car. I don't see any need for anything other than a Ford type leaf suspension. I prefer simple, uncomplicated suspensions. Now if you are talking a full fendered car, that's another story. Change for the sake of change isn't always good.

On the half rack...That's the cleanest setup of that type I've seen. However, I would be a little conserned about the tie rod ends at the center pivot being so low. You would have to be careful where you're driving. I'm also curious about bump steer with this setup. In the suspension travel, the toe in would change with the position of the spindle in the travel. This would cause a toe out at the ends of the travel. I would think one drag link running from the bell crank to the right hand spindle, with a tie rod running to the left hand spindle, would be a better setup.

What is that rack from?I find this a little interesting

It looks like the rack that Unisteer Performance Products makes. It is called Cross Steer. Their website says that it is designed to be a vega replacement for the 1928-1932 Ford. Speedway has them on their website. I like the look.

910-32243_B_L.jpg

Bill Pedersen said:
It looks like the rack that Unisteer Performance Products makes. It is called Cross Steer. Their website says that it is designed to be a vega replacement for the 1928-1932 Ford. Speedway has them on their website. I like the look.

910-32243_B_L.jpg

That does look nice.

Youngster said:
On IFS's...Maybe I'm too traditional, on an open wheeled car they just don't work for me. A T bucket is a light car. I don't see any need for anything other than a Ford type leaf suspension. I prefer simple, uncomplicated suspensions. Now if you are talking a full fendered car, that's another story. Change for the sake of change isn't always good.

I used that design on my long car with no problems. The '49-50 something Chevys and Corvettes used that design and that was where I got the idea.

G'Day All,
The major reason to go IFS, apart from wanting to be different I guess, is to reduce unsprung weight which results in a nicer ride. The fact that you have a V8 and it's trans sitting in a Bucket may reduce this effect some but there will be a benefit. Of course the Traditionalists will agree to disagree with this statement.:pint: My background is lotus 7 type sports cars and any reduction in unsprung weight makes a difference to handling and ride..
Regards,
Mike.

If you can find a way to trim down the IFS components, such as with a Lotus, I promice, I'll give it some concideration. I can think outside the box too,LOL.

Ron

I have to admit I am kind of a traditionalist too when it comes to front suspensions. I just never saw an IFS on any fenderless car that looked right to me. I feel the same way about radials. But that is just me. :pint:

Don

Friction shocks on mine. Straight axle in front doesn't handle bumps well... but it looks cool. Most T buckets in this day and age have Suicide type front ends..seems like T buckets rear suspensions vary quite a bit. I have seen an assortment of things. I have adjustable coilovers with an upper radius rod on mine, which I believe is standard for most kits these days.

I think the drop axle out front is just part of the look of a T bucket. On other cars, even fenderless ones, I don't think an IFS always looks bad. But I think it is because the radiator shell is out in front. The axle out front, to me is just part of a T.
Since I have been on a tear posting pics today... How about a couple more ? This is my looonnnggggg term project. A 24 C Cab. These pics are of a 4" drop axle with air ride behind the axle and under the frame, out of veiw.
000_0001.jpg

000_0003-2.jpg

ccab1.jpg

Is that an injected Hemi!?:eek:

Francis Blake said:
Look at the site Fred mentioned page 14 seven down right side. looks homemade but I bet it works.:)... Francis

What is the web site that Fred mentioned. I'm interested in this set up if I can get it from junk yard (home made) parts.

Another Fred

those pics look familiar. That orange bucket was at both 2005 and 2006 Nats at Mt Home. I was very intrigued with that rack and L bar and took those and many others of it. Very cool. Also an IFS might not be traditional but it will sure ride and handle 100% better. My 29 sedan will have IFS.

BT

I wonder if I could get a couple measurements off your C-cab??

I'm building one right now, and need to know the width at the cowl/firewall.:D

Thanks

Vance

Oh ya, almost forgot, Welcome to the forum!!!

Coupefreak said:
I wonder if I could get a couple measurements off your C-cab??

I'm building one right now, and need to know the width at the cowl/firewall.:D

Thanks

Vance

Oh ya, almost forgot, Welcome to the forum!!!

I don't think the measurements off mine will help ya :) Mine has been widened a few inches at the cowl, the rear narrowed a lot, it is stretched about 4", the door openings are reshaped to have rounded lower corners like a T bucket, the body is heavily channeled (the output of the trans is higher than the floor), & the top chopped like 8 or 9". With the lower half of the C reshaped to blend into the new door openings.

1464988717035287762S425x425Q85.jpg

BT, I haven't worked on this in a while, nor have I done a lot to it, so I don't have a lotta pics. But there are a couple at my webshots page...

lkechols's photos and albums on webshots

Your prolly right. that is a bitchin' look tho......I like it:D

Thanks anyway:think:

you wouldn't happen to have a spare driver door, would ya??

Vance

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back