Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Altering trans tunnel

O.K. O.K. I'm convinced. It's just that it took 4 guys to mount the body on there now and when we put a " Spirit" body it weighed a lot less and eassier to handle.

Hey Butch, I wasn't trying to gang up on you, just sharing my experience. I think the glass is where the weight is. I noticed that mine got heavier as the layers increased. Perhaps spirit uses different products that are stronger and weigh less, like core mat, etc. I don't know much about them, other than what I have read here. My focus was on strength and rigidity, not weight, but it did gain weight as I proceeded. FYI, I incorporated provisions on the dash/cowl support and the seat riser to allow me to attach my shop crain or a come along to help me lift it for service. I can attach a cable, chain, strap, whatever to them and lift it without help and without injuring it, or me... Once you start adding the steering column, seat, all of the other gadgets, it all adds up. I am trying hard to make it so I can remove the body as a unit by unplugging and unfastening as few things as possible, but the trade off is the body will be heavy. I don't want to have to rebuild the darned thing if it needs service, like a clutch, or whatever. Always a trade off.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back