Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Alternative shock mounting?

PeteT

Just wondered what you guys thought about this idea for mounting the front shocks? i.e. Front to back rather than side to side.

It doesn't seem quite right to me, if one side goes up and the other down doesn't it twist the mount? Or is it because they are rubber mounted it doesn't matter?

I'm going to run quarter elliptical springs like this and it does help the shock mounts but is it for show only?

Thanks

135_0412_posies_15_z.jpg

135_0412_posies_04_z.jpg

Well here is mine and I don't believe there will be any problem. If you look at the way Friction shocks work and are mounted then you'll see that they work about the same.
DSCN1422.jpg

Wayne, I was wondering why you have a Heim joint at a place that should be pretty much solid or a 4 bar type end? These type of ends make it a lot easier to twist and bend the Radius rods... especially at the axle mount... Just a thought, from an old Guy... PS the shock mount you have should be fine, as everything else is trying to not let the chassis lean anyway... NOTE: That headlight / shock mount, will not take too long to break it off the frame, as it looks there....

Ted Brown said:
Wayne, I was wondering why you have a Heim joint at a place that should be pretty much solid or a 4 bar type end? These type of ends make it a lot easier to twist and bend the Radius rods... especially at the axle mount... Just a thought, from an old Guy...
Solid meaning a clevis?

Well when you think of solid, a clevis will fit into that range of mounts... The only thing wrong with the screw in ends, is that when the car leans, it wants to losen up the Jam nuts to the radius rods, then you are running on just the power of the threads, so take care to make your Radius rods with a nut on the end of them, so you can make that connection super tight, just like the tie rods, etc. That way you do not need a pipe wrench to hold the end to tighten or lossen... hurts chrome or paint in a big way..

HAceT said:
Well here is mine and I don't believe there will be any problem. If you look at the way Friction shocks work and are mounted then you'll see that they work about the same.

HAceT,

Your shocks are mounted correctly in that they want to to rotate around the mounting bolts instead of trying to twist against them. No matter which way you rotate or locate the shock eyes, they should always swing on an arc around the mounting bolt. Even though most OEM shocks have rubber eyes they will only flex so much. As to your shock bracket. It is pretty good as to how you attached it. By over lapping the sides you have put the welds in shear instead of tension. Anytime you can do that you are way ahead of the game. The only thing I might do would be to box the rear of the two brackets. In the event you were to twist up the axle really bad somehow, the bracket would be much stronger.

Radius rods: If you are going to use either rodends or rubber bushed ends then you really need to put them in double shear. There are several ways to do this with the setup as it is. You can just add a second duplicate mounting bracket or you could bend up several over lapping brackets that captured the rodend and welded to the exsisting main bracket. This will take off any unwanted side loads through the bearing housing. And just for the record, I have no problems with anyone using rodends. If you size them accordingly and allow for the applied loads then you should have zero problems. I know that several others don't feel this way but I do. I have used them for years in everything from race cars to street cars and have never looked back. I will again use them in my next project. As always, this is just my opinion based on work in my industry over the last 35 years, but then again, we all know about opinions! Hope this will give you something to think about.

George

Yes shock mounts need as much material to hang on to as you can give them, as with these hot rods, people use them for suspension stops, not a good practice... I also ran the rod ends for years, but found that the ride and the noise factor is much improved with soft bushings, like I said before get away from the race car thinking, and the car will ride a lot nicer, I myself, like to ride more than 25 minutes at a time... hehe just me here...

Well I used the same setup Tom used on his that he has ran for over 17 years and still runs. I drove it and he ha sdriven it all over the US for long trips and he say's it does fine. I will be adding a cross bar from shock tower to shock tower once I find a bar design I like. I don't want to just put a piece of bar in there.

Now Ted are you saying I should use 2 nuts on the radius rods as jam nuts instead of 1.?

HAceT said:
Now Ted are you saying I should use 2 nuts on the radius rods as jam nuts instead of 1.?

HAceT,

What you have is just fine as far a jam nuts. As long as you have radius rods, they can't twist out of plane as they are bolted to the same bracket. Since I'm not yet smart enough to get pictures on this forum I'll just have to send them to you via email You or anyone else can contact me at my e-address if needed. I promise I'll force my son to show me the computer tech tricks or I'll make him do it. Just bear with me.

George

prodesigns1@yahoo.com

I Will Work For Guns!

fluidfloyd;29476][quote=HAceT said:

HAceT,

What you have is just fine as far a jam nuts. As long as you have radius rods, they can't twist out of plane as they are bolted to the same bracket. Since I'm not yet smart enough to get pictures on this forum I'll just have to send them to you via email You or anyone else can contact me at my e-address if needed. I promise I'll force my son to show me the computer tech tricks or I'll make him do it. Just bear with me.

George

prodesigns1@yahoo.com

I Will Work For Guns!

:rofl::rofl: Thanks for the email. I sent you my info.

Wayne, no that is not what I am trying to say, here is a pic of what I do now, I have no worries anymore about anything working it's way lose... do you see what I mean about a way to hold the tie rod and drag link, to tighten up the jam nuts?
284-front-spring-i-use-no-shackles-note-4-bar-bushing-ends-radius-rods-adjustable-bolts.jpg

Ok Ted, Now I see what you mean. Well I like that idea but it's to late. Anyway reference to maring up the paint I'm not worried. Heck I am building this to enjoy and drive every where, even to the store. I plan to have this a club car for the kids to see and inspire. Thanks for the tip though. I'll keep that in mind.

LumenAl said:
I'd say yes and if I remember right, he posted that somewhere... was always curious as to why he didn't use shackles, so I'm glad ya asked so I'll know too!
SOLID??? hehe no way would I mount a spring solid, do you think I just got off the Banana boat?? I see I will have to take a pic at another angle for you to see the big 4 bar bushings I use, (one in the spring, the other in that top hanger) with a 5/8" (and thick big flat washers) bolt as a pin, very much the same as a Corvette rear spring setup...

HAceT said:
Ok Ted, Now I see what you mean. Well I like that idea but it's to late. Anyway reference to maring up the paint I'm not worried. Heck I am building this to enjoy and drive every where, even to the store. I plan to have this a club car for the kids to see and inspire. Thanks for the tip though. I'll keep that in mind.
Wayne, It is never too late..hehe as you can shorten and add the plug-in ends and weld it back together, easy as pie...

Ted Brown said:
SOLID??? hehe no way would I mount a spring solid, do you think I just got off the Banana boat?? I see I will have to take a pic at another angle for you to see the big 4 bar bushings I use, (one in the spring, the other in that top hanger) with a 5/8" (and thick big flat washers) bolt as a pin, very much the same as a Corvette rear spring setup...

Sorry about the choice of words...didn't really mean solid per say... the gist of what I was trying to convey was I believed you didn't use shackles (from what I could see)... and I was hoping you would post a picture that allowed us to see how you did this so we could learn something...

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back