Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

An end to an era.

JetMech727

I was on the crew doing acceptance checks when we got the new MD80's from the factory 30+ years ago. Now I was part of the crew decommissioning them to kick them out the door to the bone yard. Pictured is our last remaining 80 ready for its final flight. Bittersweet!2019-11-25 17.40.31.jpg
On the other hand I'm going to donate some time to keep one of our old DC3's flying.2019-11-25 14.57.26.jpg

Love that pic, Jim! That's one for the "Man Cave" for sure!!! :D:thumbsup:

(PS - Do the old MD 80's go to Davis Monthan?)

I was a (flying) crew chief on C-47's and C-117D's in the Marines. Some of them were older than me at the time. I also crewed C-54's for a while. I ended up in helicopters. When I got out I worked at Petroleum Helicopters (PHI) for 40 years before retiring.

I sure wouldn't want to be the Rivet Checker on that DC3, now that's a full time job !

So do you have a retirement date yet?

Love that pic, Jim! That's one for the "Man Cave" for sure!!! :D:thumbsup:

(PS - Do the old MD 80's go to Davis Monthan?)

Thank you Spanky. Great memories. Several of us were huddled up after we parked her out there. Don't think their was a dry eye. I'll finish my career on the 737.

Ours usually go to Roswell.

I was a (flying) crew chief on C-47's and C-117D's in the Marines. Some of them were older than me at the time. I also crewed C-54's for a while. I ended up in helicopters. When I got out I worked at Petroleum Helicopters (PHI) for 40 years before retiring.

Great story swampdog. I had several friends from A&P school who went to work for PHI. I almost went myself.

I sure wouldn't want to be the Rivet Checker on that DC3, now that's a full time job !

So do you have a retirement date yet?

Actually the 3 is a piece of cake compared to the new stuff. It was built to last unlike the beer cans of today.

No, not yet Rick. Still waiting on our new contract negotiations before I decide what I'm going to do.

Yep I saw some of them MD80's come in to Roswell New Mexico just the other day...….Lots of planes out there now....

Some say that I resemble them aliens just cause I live here don't mean nothing though....

Great pic of you with the DC3 Jim, first plane I ever had a flight on, (13 yrs old coming home from boarding school) there were only 3 passengers including me! Long time ago now (1959)
As an aside, the the QANTAS 747 has just landed at Adelaide Airport this last weekend for the last time B4 it's decommissioned.

A DC3 took me to Lackland AFB back in 1962. There was a gap by my seat that I could stick my fingers through, and see them out my window. Ya, they said it was pressurized as they passed out the Double Mint.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back