Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Any advice on grinding and smoothing down welds?

LoL I know that. I meant I just want to know why sandblasting stress relieves. Never sandblasted before.

Never sandblasted before? You don't know what you are missing.We sent a car to a body shop and they had a kid sandblast it it warped the roof pretty bad too.Due to heat and stress on the metal I believe just be careful if you do on flat areas.

Hey Ted, what hand file would I need? When I sandblast before I paint it will stress relieve? Please explain. Thank you
There are a few good small files that work well for smoothing Ark (stick)or Mig (wire) welds.. 1/4 and or 3/8" square work fine, you can't have too many hand files.. Well darn, I tried to upload a 640 pic of some files, but it said it was too large?? Anyway, now Days I always use a wire welder which you can make look great as done, or on axles and radius rods I use a TIG welder...

The welds are pretty good. There are just a couple of spots where the weld ran and it doesn't look the best. The file would have to be pretty small to get into the welds on radius rods. Wish your pics would have worked Ted

Cool site Ted. The file I like best for final detailing is a chain saw blade file. I's 1/4 " or so in diameter and straight, no taper, very fine bastard cut but removes a surprising amount of material. You can use it on an inside radius and drawfile off the radius to blend into the surrounding areas. A couple tips for storing your files and keeping them sharp ... 1.Clean them with WD-40 after use and store them so they don't touch each other. I use plastic tubing for this. 2. Use a file card often during use. 3. Don't drag them back across you work or at least with no pressure on them if you do. I have a large collection of files and I don't think I've bought one for 20 Years. They are as effective today as when the where new.

Ron

Just take the high spots down. Try not to go into the base metal. The part of the weld that laps the base metal is what gives a weld it's strength, especially if it has been MIG welded. JMO

Ron

Cool site Ted. The file I like best for final detailing is a chain saw blade file. I's 1/4 " or so in diameter and straight, no taper, very fine bastard cut but removes a surprising amount of material. You can use it on an inside radius and drawfile off the radius to blend into the surrounding areas. A couple tips for storing your files and keeping them sharp ... 1.Clean them with WD-40 after use and store them so they don't touch each other. I use plastic tubing for this. 2. Use a file card often during use. 3. Don't drag them back across you work or at least with no pressure on them if you do. I have a large collection of files and I don't think I've bought one for 20 Years. They are as effective today as when the where new.

Ron

AAnd lay them out, don't pile them on top of one another and throw one down on top of another. Lay them out in a orderly fashion and the lay a piece oof ccardboard or a sheet of plastic over them...I have quit a extensive collection and they'll serve you for a very long time if taken care of. They are expensive these days....

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back