Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Anyone make a carson top for their T???

2xcrash

Anyone ever seen this done? I'd like to put a top on down the road but don't want a real tall top. Something that would work with a smaller front windshield

I was thinking about that myself, but I figured the logistics of designing & building it was too much. And I think just by nature, you would have to have a relatively tall top to clear your head, unless you are sitting on the floor. You can take a side view photo of yourself sitting in the car then that will give you an idea how tall it would need to be.

Sunkist and Moonkist both had low tops that were attached to the car permanently but folded back somehow to allow you to climb in. Had some kind of quick release latch at the windshield.
Love to see some closeups myself but surprisingly there doesn't seem to be a lot of pics of those two floating around!
Our sponsors may have something in their catalogs or something on the drawing boards.
Worth a check!

20140413_175441.jpg
20140417_172802.jpg
Sorta like this...

When I was dreaming about a top, I thought about two small bear claw latches in the header and the post screwed to bracket on the windshield. One handle to release and you are done!

Dad's '27 came with a removable hardtop. It was fiberglass, but styled like it had bows. If it was covered with hartz cloth, it would be exactly like a carson. He never runs it as it is too difficult to get in an out of when it is on, and you either have to run it or don't. Here are a few pics of it when he bought the car. The front end has been totally changed since - no track nose, hood or sidepanels.

Dad's '27 came with a removable hardtop. It was fiberglass, but styled like it had bows. If it was covered with hartz cloth, it would be exactly like a carson. He never runs it as it is too difficult to get in an out of when it is on, and you either have to run it or don't. Here are a few pics of it when he bought the car. The front end has been totally changed since - no track nose, hood or sidepanels.

Yeah, I never thought about getting in and out, lol. If you have no doors, it would be impossible. The window's too small for the Dukes of Hazzard trick I imagine...The top would have to flip up somehow.

I am very interested in this thread because we have the same issues - would like a top that could be easily folded, flipped, or whatever so us old folks can still get into the car. I saw a picture on another board that showed a very cool bucket that had a hard top that appeared to be hinged at the windshield and was raised at the back. There was no information about that feature but it looked it could be incorporated with the right construction and engineering.

This car has no doors and a fiberglass Carson top. The top was hinged so the driver could raise it to get in or out, and had no back window therefore no rear view mirror. It had a rear view camera and a small screen mounted where the mirror would normally go. The car has been sold, but the builder is a good friend of mine and I used to watch him struggle to get in or out.
rr092804_0.jpg

I have a door on the driver's side and a taller straight-up windshield. Something like this might work if it was hinged to allow it to be raised high enough.

20140417_175646.jpg
Mine in the open to get in.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back