Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Anyone went through Chemo with your dog?

Keeper

We have the unfortunately choice of "What do we do?"

Last week one of my 5 year old pups was diagnosed with lymphoma. Tomorrow we have an appointment at the Animal cancer centre at the vet university. We have been through lymphoma before, but that pup was much older and in bad shape, I will never go through something like that again.

This pup is healthy (well to a point), happy and has absolutely no idea he is ill. It was by chance that we found his glands had swollen in his neck, so we caught it about a week after he started showing any symptoms, it started with some extra panting and biting of his paws, we thought it was an allergic reaction to something he ate, but much to our dismay its not.

So the question is, has any of you went through this with your pup? We have some options, that range from "Keeping him comfortable" which will give him at most a couple of months. To full on chemo that can possibly put it in remission for years.

Its an agonizing choice as he is to young for me not to try everything I can. Though I refuse to let him suffer in any way. So I am very cautious as to which direction to go.

Tough decision to be made there. I went through something like that with my 10 year old Rott. Do I spend the money or put him down. Well, I had to spend the money, and he is now 14. Old for a big guy, but he is still healthy, but slowing down a bit. Happy now I had the bucks to help him out. Best of luck to you and your buddy.
Lee

Keeper,

I have been though this same situation more then a few times and there has never been a give up attitude to date. Lost them to cancer, old age, brain tumor and loss of feet due to tick bite just to name a few. Since I live in Arkansas we end up with a number of dogs that are dumped. I think there must be a road sign with an arrow pointing up my road that says Dog Suckers. I have two Cataloulas that I flat out stole from my neighbors in Texas prior to moving to Arkansas. Typical deal. Neighbors had 12 horses that they took care of but neglected these two brother dogs after they went to the local shelter and got them. Dogs would come across the pasture and hang out at my shop. One was totally deaf but was more fun then the law allows. I kept taking them home but they would be back in a day or two. We finally had some words over the way they treated them and the rain soaked food they left out for them. I had already moved my family about two years prior so when I got ready to move the shop I told my wife I was taking those dogs. They had got to where they were locking them in the barn day and night. The night I was going to head to Arkansas on my 1st of 4 runs I waited till midnight then crossed two pastures in pitch black darkness. Got to the barn and got them out then we all slipped back to my area. Waited till about 7:00AM till the two Mexican boys showed up at the trailer factory next door. Those two dogs jumped in that truck and those boys just smiled. I told them to tell those worthless SOBs that I got them and would be back in about 5-6 days if they wanted to see me. They saw me ever trip back but never crossed my path. I also got another dog from them about 6-7 months before that because he wouldn't stay home. They just said, "well I guess he's your dog." I agreed with them and took him to Arkansas. About 4 years ago Mr. Deaf Dog (totally deaf) started losing flesh off of his rear feet and tail. We really didn't even know what kind of dog he was till my wife took him to the Vet. My vet had gone to school in Louisiana and knew exactly what they were. Louisiana Cataloulas hog hunting dogs. He had no idea what was causing the lose of his feet but he stated emailing all his vet friends and doing research. Meanwhile Mr. Deaf Dog had lost most of his rear feet. The vet finally found a symptom and ran some specific blood test. Seems there are two places in the world that a certain type of tick live. Saudi Arabia and Texas. That vet took this as a personal Crusade to save that dog and he damn well did it. It was a long hard and expensive battle but to see him survive made it all worth while. He does now wear special shoes when he goes out. He doesn't run and chase butterflies anymore but he is happy and he brings happiness into our lives. I would do it again in a heart beat. We just lost another one of our Texas dog about a week ago to old age and it never gets any easier. Any that we have had to put down have always had me or my son sitting and hold them till the deed was done. I flowed tears when I put my 13 year old Chow down as we were together as bachelors for most of that time. Ole Whiskey had been to most every bar, gin mill, oil field yard, machine shop and race car shop in Texas and Oklahoma and always wanedt more. Now I have two vicious Pit Bulls. They have attacked both my son and me and I have to tell you, getting Pit Bull slobber off your face after getting licked to death is a real mess. I have always told every vet that I have had over the years that if they would ever consider seeing me as a patient then sign me up. A noble profession if ever there was one. I didn't intend for this to be as long as it is but when I get to thinking about how much enjoyment these fur balls have brought us I guess I sometimes get carried away. I wish you and your friend the very best in this fight that is a head of you. And even if the two of you end up losing it you will have won in the eyes of your dog for he will know that you cared and you tried. No one can ask anymore of a man. I will keep the two of you in my prayers as my God is OK with that.

George

Thanks George,

We know its going to be a long and expensive road, but we do not know what to expect from the pup. From what I understand the pups do not even know they are taking anything, well other then the weekly trips to the vet. Hopefully that is the case and things work out as we hope.

That is a terrible decision to make and one I always dreaded. I'm sorry you are put in this position. Not to sound harsh, but for me it would really depend on the prognosis. Is it going to cost thousands to extend his life a few weeks or months? With the same ultimate result but in the end you will be out the money? How much will he suffer with chemo? You can see what it does to people. How does it affect a dog? Is that something you want to put the dog through? I'm not making judgements or have an opinion one way or the other. You can never know how it feels until you are put in that position as you are.

For some people, a pet is equal to a child. I know in my case I would spend whatever it takes to keep my son alive. I love my pets but don't see them as equal and I wouldn't want to risk my family's financial future if it came to that. That's just me though.

I'm not sure about how it is for you, but around here many of the vets have taken an aggressive approach to guilting owners into spending crazy money for treatment to boost business. And they opened an emergency clinic which is good, but the cost is astronomical and unaffordable for many. In my opinion, it's a shameful practice.

In any case, this is the exact reason I purchased pet insurance, so I don't have to choose between money or my pet. Well worth the cost I think. I know it's hindsight now for this situation, but maybe consider it for the future.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Be aware though, that just by agonizing over this makes you a good pet owner and responsible person to me.

I just read your last post about the pup not knowing they are taking anything during chemo? That's great! That would make the decision a little easier for me.

I reckon this is one of those times when you've already made up your mind as to how you're going to move forward. Let's just hope the treatments will add years to his life, because losing a furr kid is no fun at all. I look at these two cheeties and realize I wouldn't give a plugged nickel for another pair just like them. But neither would I take all the money in the world for either one of them. I will never understand how anyone could ever mistreat an animal, but it happens hundreds of times a day, every single day.

Here's a funny about my orange kitty, Angel. This God-forsaken apartment is a second-floor flat. And like a typical landlord, mine doesn't spend a cent more than is necessary to maintain his properties.

These two, miserable furrballs meet me at the back door, each morning, raising all manner of Cain, demanding to be fed. No matter they are both tubby enough to live off the land for a week or two :rolleyes:, they want fed, and they want fed immediately. I fed them, puttered around in the kitchen for a couple of minutes and went into the front room, to sit down and rid myself of my shoes. As is their typical routine, they inhale their food, after which they are ready to romp. On this particular morning, they were taking turns chasing each other, from one end of the apartment to the other. How a pair of tubby kitties can race about so fast is beyond my comprehension, but one of them thumped into an end table, so I told them to settle down. As if that would actually make some kind of difference, aye?

They raced out of the living room, and across the hallway into this room, where all the computers are running. I heard a bang, and fearing they had knocked over one of the computers, I jumped up and came in here. Cricket was sitting on an old printer stand that sits at a window, so they can look outside. She was looking out the window. Angel was nowhere to be seen. I thought maybe Angel had run to the kitchen, so I walked in there, but no sign of the kitty in there, either.

Suddenly (mind, I had just got off work and was pretty fuzzy-headed, wanting sleep), I realized Cricket had been looking out the window. As in, she had her head sticking through the window opening. I ran back in here, and sure enough, the screen was missing from the window frame. I looked out, and there, down in the driveway, were both the screen insert and Angel, the latter with a very stunned look on her face.

It turns out these screen inserts are not made for these window frames. They just kinda, sorta fit into the window openings, but there is no provision for locking them into the frame. Angel (who is slinking up to pounce on a sleeping Cricket, as I type this) apparently jumped up on that old printer stand, slid right across it, hit the screen and out she went. That window now only gets opened far enough for these two to get some fresh air, and that is it.

080314001.jpg

Typical kitties. If they're not yowling to be fed, they are sprawled out, somewhere, sound asleep.

Keeper, let us know how the treatments go.

Mike,

I'm with you on people mistreating animals. Anyone who does that is capable and likely to do the same with women and children. Just bodies using up someone else's oxygen. No mercy on them if caught in the act. It is now (and finally) a felony in Arkansas to mistreat animals.

Still waiting in Tn for it to be a felony. There is no justice for people or animals. The whole system is screwed up IMO.

Okay some better news. We caught the Lymphoma very very early. So early that they had to run some tests twice to confirm the findings. They took the chest x-rays and saw nothing where they were expecting to see things, so when they did the ultrasound to check the spleen and liver, they had them check out the lungs to confirm that nothing was there. The vet told us that he had never seen that, being he is an Oncologist at a cancer centre, made me feel pretty good.

So with those results they went ahead and gave him the first treatment. We also signed him up for a study as they said he is the perfect candidate to monitor the treatments and how they show up in the blood stream. It literally was 1 extra tube of blood taken per visit and it helps cover the cost of the testing. Hopefully it will help them see what goes on and help other pets.

With the route we went the prognosis is at least a year and since we caught things early, hopefully more.

I asked a lot of questions around side affects and changes in the dog. They said these are designed to ensure quality of life and to minimize any side affects.

Our schedule is one treatment a week for 4 weeks, a week off, once a week for 4 weeks, then we move to every 2 weeks for a total of 26 weeks of treatment.

I also had time today to speak with many other pet owners that are currently going through the treatment. I left with a great feeling and a much more positive frame of mind.

Its been a very long day, the treatment center is 2 hours away without traffic, and man let me tell you, driving across Toronto in rush hour....SUCKS!

Thanks for all the support folks, I will keep you all informed as we go along.

Last edited:
Keeper,
Still waiting in Tn for it to be a felony. There is no justice for people or animals. The whole system is screwed up IMO.

What part of Tennessee are you from? I grew up in Jackson. Moved away in the early 70s but family was there till they passed away. Got a couple of nieces still there but I don't visit.
I didn't know about the no punishment of mistreated animals situation. It took a long time to become law in Arkansas and is still hard to get some officials to prosecute. Fortunately the High Sheriff of Stone County's wife loves Mr. Deaf Dog and the sheriff will press charges for such crimes. People here consider dogs as disposable property and either dump or shoot them. Now if something happens to their chickens or hogs it is a whole different matter. Call the vet and the law cause someone has hurt my prize strutting and fighting rooster! I would sure like to be on the "Get In to Heaven" committee when those folks showed up.

George

With the route we went the prognosis is at least a year and since we caught things early, hopefully more.
Well, let's just pray for that hopefully more business!

Blasting through Toronto on the 401, in the middle of the night, takes forever and a day. What with all the suburbs, it is quite a sprawling, metropolitan area. (And blasting means driving at 100 clicks, as prescribed by law. Of course. <cough>)

George:
Been in White House Tn ,located just north of Nashville Tn, all my life. My daughter graduated from Lambuth in Jackson. Too bad the school closed a few years back.

Animal cruelty in Tn is still a misdemeanor.

Update:

3 weeks in and we have "Partial remission" all the nodes minus one in his neck have shrunk to normal levels. Cody has no clue what is going on, he is happy, goofy and very annoying with his ball...HAHAHA. So far he has tolerated the treatments very well, no issues other then wanting to eat absolutely everything in sight. He has won over all the woman at the cancer centre, so when he visits he gets to hang out in the office with them before his treatments...lol

We are told that next weeks treatment is the one that aggressively attacks the cancer, and the one we will see any big side effects.

This is my boy:

17%20Sep%202012%20007.JPG_595.jpg

Keeper....That's a fine looking dog for sure! Glad things are going good for both your sakes. Since you originally posted this we lost one of our sister pasture dogs from Texas. I spotted them in a winter snow sleeping among a bunch of Black Angus cows. Finally saw them coming into the fenced yard late at night to eat the yard dogs food. I moved the food closer to the back door every day until it was right at the door opening and then my wife started putting warm leftovers in it. Finally I just cracked that door enough to reach out and grab one of them. The second one took several more days. Named them Friendly Dog and Shy Dog for obvious reasons. Two more great dogs. Lost Shy Dog a couple of weeks ago to old age. If I ever get cancer I might go see your vet. Always trust them before a general sawbones. Thanks for keeping us posted. Prayers and thought for your friend. Take care,

George

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back