Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Attaching metal?

frodin1

I'm looking for a product to attach metal to fiberglass? Basically, I'm trying to mount my " Speedway Universal" door latch assemblies into my fiberglass doors. The doors aren't thick enough for me to glue any sort of wood between the latches and the outer door skin itself. So I have a slight delema. I need to figure out how to mount these door latches into my doors without blowing holes through the front to accompany pop rivets. I need some sort of epoxy that will hold these things through many cycles of opening and closing the doors without busting loose? Got any thoughts?

Check with your body shop supply company, There are seveal 2 part epoxyies used for bonding 1/4 panels and such to a wrecked car without welding, ( I'm old school and still weld).........ruggs

Check with your body shop supply company, There are seveal 2 part epoxyies used for bonding 1/4 panels and such to a wrecked car without welding, ( I'm old school and still weld).........ruggs
Thought I better a a little more info.......both the metal and the fiberglass have to be free of wax(fiberglass) and oil (metal) brake cleaner for the metal acetone for the glass. they both also need to bumped with a small grinder for a little more tooth for the epoxy......don't go crazy grinding the metal someday rust is likely going to creep into the bond and cause a failure....seal it if possible.................good luck....ruggs

We opened both doors on our T. Used real Model T hinges. I took a plate about 6"x6" and drilled a bunch of holes in it and bent and welded what was needed to mount the hinges, strikers and latches. Then used bondo and set the steel plates in the bondo. The bondo came thru the holes and I just semi smoothed it over. Then a couple of layers of glass over that.
door-4.jpg

hingbondo.jpg

latchassy.jpg

I'm looking for a product to attach metal to fiberglass? Basically, I'm trying to mount my " Speedway Universal" door latch assemblies into my fiberglass doors. The doors aren't thick enough for me to glue any sort of wood between the latches and the outer door skin itself. So I have a slight delema. I need to figure out how to mount these door latches into my doors without blowing holes through the front to accompany pop rivets. I need some sort of epoxy that will hold these things through many cycles of opening and closing the doors without busting loose? Got any thoughts?

The latches I have, already have mounting holes on either side. The problem I have is the latches are a very tight fit into that section of the door. I removed some of the material to get them in, and I'll just fill it in later. I do think the bondo/ glass mixture will work. I was just a little worried about it coming loose. The inside of my doors are very rough fiberglass however, so it should stick pretty good. I'll post some pics!

The latches I have, already have mounting holes on either side. The problem I have is the latches are a very tight fit into that section of the door. I removed some of the material to get them in, and I'll just fill it in later. I do think the bondo/ glass mixture will work. I was just a little worried about it coming loose. The inside of my doors are very rough fiberglass however, so it should stick pretty good. I'll post some pics!
frodin1, Ron's method works fine if you have access to lay some glass over as he did, if not I would stick with the duramix epoxy, Just my opinion ........ruggs

I had a problem with the latch on the bed lid thats on my f150 . The latch was upside down and needed more support. I used liquid nails upside down on a metal surface of 4 in by 4 and bonded the metal plate directly to the fiberglass. 5 years later its still there and i work out of my truck i may open the lid 10 times a day. The latch has never budged.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back