Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Back in business

benT

Well after screwing off all winter working on my house, I finally got some quality time back on my '27. It was finished last year and made its inaugural run on the PowerTour. That was a good shakedown, and once I put it up for the winter, I've been tweaking and fixing a few things. Here's a quick update:

First off, I had to shorten my panhard bracket on the axle after a large bump caused it to puncture the trunk floor (ouch). That one hurt a bit. It was an easy fix once I dropped the axle, tanks, suspension, and so on. Got the floor repaired, bracket shortened and once the carpet was put back, everything was good again.

Secondly, I needed to do something about the steering wheel proximity to the column and turn signal stick. I am using a flat bell-style steering wheel, but during mock-up, I used an old GM wheel. I didn't take into account the lack of dish in the new wheel, and thus the wheel was farther away from me than expected and there was a clearance issue with the turn signal. Fortunately since buying my column, Flaming River has come out with a tapered adapter that is a few inches longer than the Grant one and was made for the 3 bolt style flat wheels. It was not cheap ($90), but I didn't have too many other options, so I bit the bullet. Luckily it all turned out good and I am very happy with the new wheel location and look.

The most frustrating repair was a fuel delivery problem. On the tour, I was confronted with a randomly surging engine and poor fuel pressure. Not wanting to believe that it was the new fuel pump, I first modified my fuel pickup tube in the tank and installed a baffle to make sure the fuel foam wasn't impeding the pickup. After reinstalling and running I realized that it was something else. I next checked the fuel filter which was leaking slightly. I decided against re-using it as it was a real paint to change the filter, so I replumbed my hard line and used an Earl's AN barrel-type filter instead. I also wisely decided to install a fuel shutoff valve as I overlooked doing so when initally plumbing the car. I would recommend anyone building a car to do so as it makes working on the fuel system much easier and cleaner. Well the fuel filter was not the problem and I was only left with the fuel pump. I ordered a new one which was slightly different (and physically smaller for additional room). Low and behold, when I removed the pump, the spring was not even on the pump arm. How I got any fuel pressure I don't know. I did recover the original spring and installed a new pump. Well of coarse the inlet/outlet were just enough different that my flexible SS hose whip was not long enough, so I was back to remaking a hose with slightly different ends. After all of that, I finally got it all back together today and fired it up for the first time this year. Well it was a success! I now have a solid 6lbs of pressure and it is much more responsive that it ever has been. I also feel better because I went back thought the fuel system and am confident that it will be even more reliable than originally built.

I am now ready for the obligatory spring detailed cleaning of the car and heading out to some shows. I do have a few more little items to address, but for now, I want to do some cruising!!!

Here are a few pics of the issues and fixes. Not sure why I'm posting them, but I like looking at others photos, so whatever. Don't give me too much crap cause the quality of the photos or how the car is filthy!

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0328.jpg

DSCF0326.jpg

Is that a Ford 302 engine? Why not any electric fuel pump?

Is that a Ford 302 engine? Why not any electric fuel pump?

Yep, Its a small block ford 302. As for the fuel pump, I consciously decided that I'd rather go mechanical. Mostly for personal preference as I hate the sound of an electric pump running...I know its not really that bad, but just a preference.

That is a nice idea for that frame cover, what was the main reason for that? I like it.. :)
PS, That is one of the maim reasons I always say to drive Her naked for at least 1000 miles, to fix things and not redo paint or anything finished... As you now have said, Thanks, Ted Happy driving

That is a nice idea for that frame cover, what was the main reason for that? I like it.. :rolleyes:
PS, That is one of the maim reasons I always say to drive Her naked for at least 1000 miles, to fix things and not redo paint or anything finished... As you now have said, Thanks, Ted Happy driving

I built the frame covers just to give my '27 a bit slicker look. The front attaches to the tapered frame, and the back matches the body line. They are tapered front to back to give it a bit of a '32 rail look. Since they are deeper than the frame rails, I can hide a lot of stuff behind them and give the car a lower look. I also run a rear roll pan which matches the aesthetic.

Bens27220.jpg

P1040866.jpg

Bent: What color blue is your car? That is the same as we are now painting mine.

It is DuPont Hot Hues "Jazzy Blue" I fell in love with the color and spent way to much for the paint -- The next build will be waaaaay more economical!

Thanks Ben, I love that type of thinking, looks like great built in storage/glove boxes as well? :rolleyes: Out of sight, no steal :rolleyes:

Actually, one is the battery box and the other is my "tool box". Both are accessed from a flush hinged door on the trunk floor. I figured it was dead space when I was building the frame, so why not use it? More trunk space for me! You can barely make out the doors in this pic-- you can't see it, but there are recess finger-pulls to open.

DSCF1650.jpg

Thanks again, I thought they looked to be back far enough to be inside the trunk area, but still a great place to stow good stuff that you want to keep out of sight :rolleyes: Your ride sure looks good, great color, I find a ton of Gals LOVE that color... and Yellow, I guess I myself do not want that much attention ??

Thanks again, I thought they looked to be back far enough to be inside the trunk area, but still a great place to stow good stuff that you want to keep out of sight :rolleyes: Your ride sure looks good, great color, I find a ton of Gals LOVE that color... and Yellow, I guess I myself do not want that much attention ??

Thats one good looking car. I love it.
Please Mister can I have a ride, cause mine aint finished yet
Gerry

Ben's car HAS to be one of, if not THE, very best well thought out and built '27 anywhere! IMHO

Jim

Ben's car HAS to be one of, if not THE, very best well thought out and built '27 anywhere! IMHO

Jim

Thanks for the praise Jim (and others), but that may be a bit of an exaggeration... I am very happy with how it turned out being our first complete build, but as with most builds, there are a few things I'd do differently next time. I hope you guys don't get sick of me posting pics...I have a few hundred or so and try to use them to help others with different detailing ideas
We'll see what we've learned--the current build is a early 60's style '23 on a super low budget. I'm trying to be really creative with the $$ so it'll be done for some really low dough. It'll be a running piece to highlight our powdercoating and ceramic coating business. I'll be starting a build thread soon to chronicle the build. Here's a peek of the engine (mid 60's 283 with newer heads) in the progress of being painted:

Photo009.jpg

Nice color but do you call it purple or lavender?

Nice color but do you call it purple or lavender?

That was just the flash coat so it is a little light--its actually Plum Crazy Purple metallic. I'll post a shot of the finished and built engine soon

Great looking ride Ben. I like it..

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back