Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Bad torque converter

chilwil86

would a bad torque converter make a car/engine vibrate badly in park. Sbc with a th350 at idle runs fine if the engine is revved the car vibrates badly. no correct flex plate , no mis . Just wondering if it's the TC . Thank u

Check the motor mounts.

Check the harmonic balancer to be sure it didn't slip. You can do that by putting the engine at TDC and verify the timing marks. I've never heard of a converter doing that. When they fail, you normally don't have drivability and there is garbage in the tranny fluid. You could un bolt it and see if the vibration goes away, but push it back into the tranny away from the flex plate.

Have puck style engine mounts they are tight, trans mount I have to take a look at. And my engine builder says I've got the correct flex plate and balancer. I'm tryin to exhaust other options before I freak out on the builder. It's been on his engine dyno so I would guess that if it was out of balance he would have caught that.

I once put a flywheel on my externally balanced 383 and it did the same thing, it almost shook the car off of the jack stands. Turns out the flywheel wasn't balanced for a 400 sbc as I was told, had it re balanced, problem solved. Have you had the car running ok before or is it a fresh build? Just wondering if it's a new problem caused by a change or if something just isn't right.

Check plug wires. Make sure they are correct on dist and to correct plug. Simple things first. Don't ask how I know. Just asking....could one unbolt the t/q and slide it back, secure it, start the engine, just to eliminate it? I doubt if it is the t/q also. I am with flech about the wrong flexplate possibility. I almost put the wrong one on my car, not knowing which to use, balanced or un-balanced.

Fresh build , the engine was dyno'd. got a receipt for a flex plate that say 383/400 so I dunno. Engine builder keeps askin about my torque converter.

Yeah I guess my dis belief is that the engine builder should know which flex plate it needs. The flex plate thing fooled me cause I seen the balancer was a regular lookin one that's solid, unlike a 400 that kinda hollow lookin

Yeah I was thinking plug wires too but again builder says it was on a scope ( I ain't got a clue) and its firing on all cylinders. I'm starting to think I got a new paperweight

Unbolt the converter move it one slot . see if it makes a change.

I don't know whether or not your engine is internally balanced or not. If you can figure that out, your can check your flexplate without taking it of to see if you have the right one. A balanced f/p will have a weight on it, the other will be smooth except for the big holes, of course.

Yeah I'm putting back on stands tommorow
Is it a stroker motor? If so, internal or externally balanced? Your build sheet should provide that info. If it's not stroked, or a 400sb, that 383/400 flex plate is your problem. You are also right to question the balancer, if it's a smooth, stock, balancer, that sounds like a internal balanced 350 balancer. The stock 400 balancer is big, but has a part cut out of it, unless it's an aftermarket balancer. If you have a mismatched flex plate and balancer, that's a problem, also is the flex plate on the right way? They will bolt on either way and depending on the starter, may even run that way, I found out the hard way on that little nugget. I not sure that the converter would bolt up to an externally balanced flex plate if it was backwards, but the flex plate weight should face the block. From your description, it sounds exactly like what mine did with the wrong flywheel on it. If that's the case, you definitely shouldn't run it till it's right. It's possible someone just mixed up the flex plates before you got it, disconnecting the converter and running it for a minute will tell the tale about it being a engine issue or not. Your builder questioning the converter tells me he thinks it's a balance issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: RPM
I was reading your post on another forum. Did you figure out if the harmonic balancer is the correct one? I really doubt that you have a paper weight there. Problem is on the front or back end of that engine I bet. Keep after it.

Well the engine builder actually called me on sunday and too his credit he is towing the car to his shop for further diagnosis. It is a externally balanced scat 383 rotating assmbly. It has both correct harmonic balancer i can feel the weight behind the balncer and correct weighted flexplate. Wether the flexplate is indexed correctly is another matter but were gonna find that out. He seems to b a stand up dude i dont doubt that. Soooo we'll see

Well another thing i read was that some rotating assmblys can be both int/ external the front taking a neutral harmonic balancer and the rear needing a weight is this true? Is so how does that work

There are both. I don't know how you can tell, but I bet someone here does. At least your builder sounds Ok.

Well guys as it turns out it was just the wrong flex plate. The weight was in the wrong place truck runs fine.
Thank you for all the help.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back