Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Best Deal on a Body?

Email me and I'll send you some pictures. They are not into the web stuff at all. A friend of his posted his prices for him, but I am not sure they are current. Here is one from the glass shop area.
lotsofbodies.jpg

i was treated well by BC at spirit , the jell coat was uniform an the thickness of the body is good , i would buy parts from them again , i have also had decent luck with total performance and never had any problems with speedway motors , :cool:

Value

Cost vs. Value -- This site is free but man what value.
Thanks Mr. Webmaster!
As for Spirit I appreciate the dialog here it helps us all do a better job of servicing our customers. I know if you buy our product today it is better than it was 10 years ago. And I sure hope that if you buy a product from us in 10 years it is better than what we have today. This is a great hobby with many very good manufactures to support it. But what makes it really great is you the rod builders and enthusiasts. THANK YOU !

Re: Value

B.C. said:
Cost vs. Value -- This site is free but man what value.
I've been enjoying the exchange of information in this one, myself.

I am really impressed with the picture RPM posted. Some one really needs to bring Herman up to speed on web sites! That picture alone would sell a lot of product. What are his prices like?

Ron

Herman's Fast Glass We make your dream driveable!

Here's his site. It's just a price list. I was a little confused. He lists a body for $418 and then lists a molded and a flat dash for $104 and $60.50 respectively. Does the body come without a dash? Do you order a body with one or the other dash and add the appropriate price to the $418 and they put it all together for you? Do you have to buy the parts ala carte and do it all yourself? Pictures with detailed descriptions would be helpful. Hell, just detailed descriptions would tell me something. It looks, from Ron's photos, that it is a well constructed body. I really can't tell how thick the glass is but it looks substantial. The price appears to be right. I would like more information. Steve

Thanks Ron. That worked! I was reading the post about the pitman arm sticking down and the fix using the stock Corvair box with the arm up. That sounds like the easy fix for me as I have the same TP frame. Do you have a stock, rebuilt box I can buy? I want to come up and see Hermans body, benchrace with you and check out your car. I'm in Atlanta.

I have plenty of Corvair boxes , I need to build one for you. Do you need a cast iron one or an aluminum one?

I am about 30 minutes from Hermans, let me know when you want to come up and we will go see him.

Ron, the housing doesn't matter. I guess whatever you have the most of will be fine. Does one have a splined shaft for a u-joint? That would be preferred. Is a weekend better for the visit?

Ron...As our resident Corvair steering box expert, was there a steel box with a short splined shaft? I have seen a couple.

Ron

Youngster said:
Ron...As our resident Corvair steering box expert, was there a steel box with a short splined shaft? I have seen a couple.

Ron

Yes they did make one in 1969 only, the last year of production for the Vair. After Nadar ruined the little car there were not many made in 69. So it is a pretty rare part. The shaft length in the iron and aluminum boxes are different so you can't make one up either, at least not very easy.

The iron box has a longer input shaft?

Ron

I bought a iron box a couple of years ago with a short shaft in it. Just after I bought it i read somewhere that for some reason you shouldn't use an early alum. box shaft in an iron box so it's been hanging on the wall since then. Could it be it's a usable unit after all?

Ron

The shaft from the aluminum box is about 3/16" different in length than the shaft from the iron box. I have all kinds of extra parts. We can work out some kind of swap and get you a box fixed up. Wether it is a shaft or a housing you need, I should have it for ya.

Well, after talking to you all, I decided to go ahead and order my body from Total Performance on August 4th. Pete told me that it would only take 2 weeks for my body to get shipped out. After 2 weeks, I called to check up, and Pete told me 2 more weeks. I called yet again, and another guy told me that Pete couldn't have told me two weeks because they always take 4-6 weeks. After exactly 8 weeks, I called Pete and asked what was going on. He said he didn't know. I told him to cancel my order, which he replied that he thinks it's done and ready to ship. He made a phonecall, then told me that he'd go ahead and cancel it. Wow!!! From shipping in 2 weeks to no clue after 8 weeks! Not my idea of customer service. I have bought several items from them, but this was the big one I was anxious to get. Wasn't a great experience for me, and I'll probably explore other suppliers first on any other parts.
Anyways, I canceled the order on Friday 9/19, and called the guy that RPM told me about. Rick Collins at Herman's Fast Glass in Seymour, TN. I picked up my body with bed, floor, dash, interior insert, and upholstered bucket seat insert for a very low price. It was a 6 hour drive from Indy, but well worth it. Thanks for the deal, Rick. Also, thanks Ron for telling me about this guy.

Could you take some pics of your body? Overall and any features that impressed you. There are 2 guys locally that are thinking about a build. I was so impressed with the pics Ron posted that I would like to have something better that Herman's web site to show them. Thanks.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back