Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Birth of Long John

Remember long wheelbase rides better! My first car was like a limo, but real fast!

No doubt there. But for me, going for as short a wheelbase is both a necessity and a preference. The genesis of this project began with finding something to do with a little GM 60°V6 and 700R4. It has to be something as light weight as possible to have a chance of being fun to drive...smaller = lighter.

Then there are overall size limitations. There is just no place to put a vehicle of any size. We already have 3 vehicles, and it will be 4 any day (wife is getting the urban assault vehicle she's wanted). What ever I build has to be small and maneuverable enough to park across the back of the driveway. Also, if there is any hope of parking it inside it has to fit in a 10' deep workshop shed.

All of this met up with the fact that my all time favorite T hot rod, going all the way back to the early 60s, is Tweedy Pie. Tweedy is built on an 84" wheelbase. Since my body is an 8" stretch, I set my target wheelbase at 84"+8"...92"

Uuummmmm guilty as charged! Went and paid for my 454 vortec motor and found a blower intake for it! Driving the Riviera is more fun than working!

Tjbucket. Were you looking for pictures of my avatar? Here is my car. As you can tell by the McDonald's in the background this is an old picture. Taken in '72 I think.

Attachments

• long car small.jpg
    long car small.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 88
Uuummmmm guilty as charged! Went and paid for my 454 vortec motor and found a blower intake for it! Driving the Riviera is more fun than working!
ORF, I think you mentioned it before, but what year is your Rivera? Those were cool cars. One of GM's other cars that didn't get the recognition they deserved, in my opinion. I have a '69 skylark ragtop with factory AC. It was originally a Texas car, rare to even find one where I live in the rust belt, especially in near rust free condition. It's been in storage basically since about '82. It's a survivor, but due for a make over. I have all of the interior from a GS that will likely be implanted. Also a 455 and a 200m4 I have contemplated for it. Can't seem to find a GS hood local, they are pretty rare around here. Sorry to get off the "T" topic.

ORF, I think you mentioned it before, but what year is your Rivera? Those were cool cars. One of GM's other cars that didn't get the recognition they deserved, in my opinion. I have a '69 skylark ragtop with factory AC. It was originally a Texas car, rare to even find one where I live in the rust belt, especially in near rust free condition. It's been in storage basically since about '82. It's a survivor, but due for a make over. I have all of the interior from a GS that will likely be implanted. Also a 455 and a 200m4 I have contemplated for it. Can't seem to find a GS hood local, they are pretty rare around here. Sorry to get off the "T" topic.
My Riviera is a '65. It is Candy tangerine 'flake and silver flake. My file is to big to load. I'll try to get a smaller one.

What's the turning radius for a street car with a long wheel base like this one will have?

Cool.

I'm looking forward to seeing this build as it progresses. The long wheelbase aspect is not my cup of tea...I'm headed in the opposite direction...but that makes this none the less intriguing.

The more I see the long wheel base and stretched body the more I like. I currently have a short wheel base & standard bucket (not sure how you could make it much shorter 98") not comfortable to drive but, fun as hell. Weight 1740 with a 350 chevy and powerglide......again, not an assumption ( I know there is a posting on weight currently), I ran across the scale, minus my fat a$$ of course and comes out to 1740, very happy with that. I thought it would be close to 1600-1800, so I am in the ball park.

Well...... we hope it's a little faster than a school bus thou !!!:cool:

The more I see the long wheel base and stretched body the more I like. I currently have a short wheel base & standard bucket (not sure how you could make it much shorter 98") not comfortable to drive but, fun as hell. Weight 1740 with a 350 chevy and powerglide......again, not an assumption ( I know there is a posting on weight currently), I ran across the scale, minus my fat a$$ of course and comes out to 1740, very happy with that. I thought it would be close to 1600-1800, so I am in the ball park.

As the plan stands now, mine will have a wheelbase around 92"-93" and an 8" stretched body. Powered by a GM 60V6 and a 700R4. My target weight is 1500 lbs.

The way I'm getting the short wheel base is a combination of things. A spring over axle front suspension...the shorter V6...and radically channeling the body over the kick-up.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back