Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

brake pedal location

Mallard

I just picked up a 23T that someone started and didn't finish. It appears to be a TP frame and body. One thing I have a problem with is the brake pedal is too close to the outside of the body. My left foot does not fit past the pedal. Is there any way to relocate the brake or do they sell different pedals to move it over and back closer to the fire wall ?? I am a 6 ft tall guy and my knees are eating the steering wheel.

Mallard said:
I just picked up a 23T that someone started and didn't finish. It appears to be a TP frame and body. One thing I have a problem with is the brake pedal is too close to the outside of the body. My left foot does not fit past the pedal. Is there any way to relocate the brake or do they sell different pedals to move it over and back closer to the fire wall ?? I am a 6 ft tall guy and my knees are eating the steering wheel.

If it was a Total body and frame it would have the pedals as follows.
Picture004.jpg

If it was a total the pedals would look like this
Picture004.jpg

Heat and bend. But I know the Total pedal is pretty straight and no extra to bend. Just fab another one from flat stock and do what is needed to make it work.

In the instructions that came with my pedal assembly from Total, it stated that the arm WILL need to be bent in order to clear the steering column. Now that I have my steering box installed, it is easy to see that they were right. I bent mine before I had installed the steering box and I guess I estimated right, because it should be fine or will only need to be bent a little more to clear the steering column when it is installed. I'll look for a pic of my lever and post it if I can.

If you look in my blog under the section "Adding the Front End", there is a front view of my chassis. In that pic you can see that the brake lever is bent about 2" to the passenger side. I'll have to measure my lever tomorrow to see how far up the lever I started the bend. I'll post that info tomorrow.

Be carefull fellas i know you want to work on your cars but you ARE going to run into problems with this one.That lever goes through a SMALL SLOT in the floor and if your off an 1/8 inch youll have to unbend and rebend which will result in a fugly looking pedal.

Thanks for chiming in, Rick. Once again, he is correct. In the early excitement to be working on my car, I got the specs on the bend and went at it. Probably not the smartest thing to do.:eek: If I need to redo it, it won't be that much of a set back, but the smart thing to do would be to wait. I'll get a better idea of how it fits when I get the column and then the body.

One good thing about these cars is that they are a little forgiving to beginner mistakes and a new lever won't break the bank, it'll just dent my pride a little.:lol:

Thanks for the great info. An S-10 clutch pedal had the perfect shape. A cut here and weld there and I'm in business !! Thanks again for the input.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back